Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla doesn't want to service my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my second Model S since half July 2015.

Approximately 2 weeks after ownership the first problem has occurred. So I wanted to make an appointment in Vienna SC (the nearest one for me). I had to wait 3 months for the first appointment to get the problem fixed. I have made 28 thousand kilometers since then.

But during the 3 moths wait for service (and 28 thousand kilometers), several other problems has occurred. So during the whole day, they were trying to fix them. Mostly unsuccessfully. They said they need another appointment but I have to wait another 3 months. Is this normal to wait for a service 3 moths? Especially when there are serious problems that makes me worry to drive the car. In 3 months I could add another 30000 kilometers. But i think the car could get damaged even more an become unusable.

Here are some of the problems.

The steering wheel makes noise when the car is in the rain or after carwash. They were trying to fix it during the first appointment but instead of fixing it, they made it even worse. Now there is one more noise. Moreover now i feel some kind of tension in the steering wheel, something like a light vibration.

Front left wheel makes a strange noise when making sharp turns in slow speeds. This problem is there since they swap the summer tires for winter tires during the first appointment i had after 3 months wait.

Sunroof is leaking. Since i opened the roof for 5 times, the wind noise inside became so loud that i thought that i have some window open. But now it got even worse. Now it is leaking when raining or after carwash. I park outside and they want me to wait 3 months for fixing it. Everything is wet inside.

A big clanking noise coming from back of the car when accelerating. It's like some part is loose. They recognized this problem but they where not able to fix it.

On a bumpy road I hear many kinds of squeaks, creaks, and rattles from the front back and both sides, none of them they were able to fix.

The charge port door most of the time doesn't open always, they did not fix it.

When i walk away from the car, the car doesn't lock always. In the settings it is set properly. Tesla wasn't able to fix it.

So, these are just some of the problems with the car. Even more problems then with the first, much older Model S. And Tesla wants me to wait another 3 months before fixing them.

Is it normal to wait 3 months for service? Shouldn't there be some time limit for service appointment? What can I do to make them fix it sooner? Anyone else has similar experience with SC?

The steering wheel makes noise when the car is in the rain or after carwash. They were trying to fix it during the first appointment but instead of fixing it, they made it even worse. Now there is one more noise. Moreover now i feel some kind of tension in the steering wheel, something like a light vibration.

This is weird, but is it that bad?

Front left wheel makes a strange noise when making sharp turns in slow speeds. This problem is there since they swap the summer tires for winter tires during the first appointment i had after 3 months wait.

I have this problem too, I attribute it to being able to hear the tires over the lack of engine.

Sunroof is leaking. Since i opened the roof for 5 times, the wind noise inside became so loud that i thought that i have some window open. But now it got even worse. Now it is leaking when raining or after carwash. I park outside and they want me to wait 3 months for fixing it. Everything is wet inside.

This is a known issue. They can fix this, and it is a legitimate warranty problem

A big clanking noise coming from back of the car when accelerating. It's like some part is loose. They recognized this problem but they where not able to fix it.

This is a known issue, the "rear clunk". The drive units are plagued by this issue. The only fix is a replacement, don't let them talk you into fixing it, request a replacement under warranty.

On a bumpy road I hear many kinds of squeaks, creaks, and rattles from the front back and both sides, none of them they were able to fix.

Seriously?

The charge port door most of the time doesn't open always, they did not fix it.

This is a somewhat known issue, my SC replaced this proactively. Does this happen with the remote, or with the touchscreen?

When i walk away from the car, the car doesn't lock always. In the settings it is set properly. Tesla wasn't able to fix it.

This is weird, how can you be sure it doesn't lock when you remove the key and take it away from the car? The car is programmed to lock when the key is not nearby.

So, these are just some of the problems with the car. Even more problems then with the first, much older Model S. And Tesla wants me to wait another 3 months before fixing them.

Is it normal to wait 3 months for service? Shouldn't there be some time limit for service appointment? What can I do to make them fix it sooner? Anyone else has similar experience with SC?

Based on your location, I'd say 3 months is pretty in line. I'm in a major US city, with two service centers within 30 miles, and I still have about 3 weeks of wait.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and probably divide the aisle here, but I take issue with some of your "problems". I believe people, who complain about noises when driving down a bumpy road, and hearing things from their tires when they turn is the reason why the SC has a 3 month wait. Could you imagine all the Tesla owners in your area complaining about noises and taking their Tesla to the SC? No **** they are backed up. Additionally, issues like this really hurt our credibility as owners. I have an appt this Friday for three actual issues that are in need of fixing. No hunches or noises, actual error messages and demonstrable problems. I feel like the SC guys have to jump through tons of hurdles and false positives for silly things like "noises all around the car on a bumpy road"... no **** man, you're on a bumpy road, there's gonna be noise. Don't send them on a witch hunt for two or three days looking for noises, and maybe you wont have a 3 month wait.

When the SC goes out of its way for us, sometimes out of warranty, I am grateful. Recently I can see their hesitation in providing a goodwill fix or providing a rental because of being inundated with minor or non-issues, and it ticks me off.

/rant

Knowing which country this is probably is good context. Even in the USA, Tesla prioritizes service based on severity. In Europe (given the use of "km" I assume this is the case), the wait can really be months because there are few service centers.

I was able to reach someone on this number +1 650 681 5000, she put me on hold to connect me with the right person and after few minutes I was simply disconnected.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't smell right to me.

Let's see some details. Any email exchanges where the SC is asking for 3 month waits?

What doesn't smell right? I do not have an email conversation, but as I see it is important to have everything in writing. So from now and on i will communicate over the email with them. I was there in person, waiting the whole day so they don't have to give me a loner. I spoke with Tesla Vienna employee Richard Stigler | Service Advisor, you can ask him.

I was able to reach someone on this number +1 650 681 5000, she put me on hold to connect me with the right person and after few minutes I was simply disconnected.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, don't worry about others, worry about your issues, try the number again as that is your best bet at this point. First thing is to let them know how they can call you back if you get disconnected. The folks who answer that number are really cool and helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

What doesn't smell right? I do not have an email conversation, but as I see it is important to have everything in writing. So from now and on i will communicate over the email with them. I was there in person, waiting the whole day so they don't have to give me a loner. I spoke with Tesla Vienna employee Richard Stigler | Service Advisor, you can ask him.

Those are reasonable and fair responses from all defenders. I spend quite a bit of time in the investor's forum where it's a bit more hostile! My apologies for offending anyone.

Have a nice day and hopefully you will have a better experience moving forward with your car. I also had some of those issues with my 2013 version but had more success in having them fixed in a timely fashion than you are.

Sorry again.

This is weird, but is it that bad?
Yes it is very loud. Even music cant cover the noise. I often do test rides for potential buyers and they noticed that too. But is not about the noise. There could be some other major problem and the noise is just a symptom.

I have this problem too, I attribute it to being able to hear the tires over the lack of engine.
No, it is not just simple tire noise. I am not an idiot. I have driven in two versions of Model S combined 100000 kilometers. And in other cars around one million kilometers. [/QUOTE]

Seriously?
Yes, seriously. Do you see my post count. If it wasn't serious enough, I wouldn't bother mentioning it. [/QUOTE]

This is a somewhat known issue, my SC replaced this proactively. Does this happen with the remote, or with the touchscreen?
I use the key. When it doesnt work I have to use the finger to lift it open

This is weird, how can you be sure it doesn't lock when you remove the key and take it away from the car? The car is programmed to lock when the key is not nearby.
I use the mobile app an many times i see the car did not lock.

Last edited:
I also had a steering clicking noise when turning at slow speeds. Not sure if it was the same problem, but mine was covered under warranty: they replaced steering rack bolts, inspected shim and retorqued. Problem gone -- hope same is true for you soon too. So sorry they're so backlogged on maintenance!

Incidentally, my service adviser told me when I called this in that this is a known problem and there are no concerns around safety for me or the car, so it was not an urgent problem. So this is not one to worry about - the pano roof leaking? yuck :(

I called the number listed above, and the operator who answered refused to transfer to anyone UNLESS they knew the name and extension of the person they wanted to talk to. They would not even transfer a call to a department or customer service etc or give another number to call, so I understand his frustration! This is not good PR!!

I called the number listed above, and the operator who answered refused to transfer to anyone UNLESS they knew the name and extension of the person they wanted to talk to. They would not even transfer a call to a department or customer service etc or give another number to call, so I understand his frustration! This is not good PR!!

Sounds like someone gave him the wrong number maybe? I'll PM him the number I have on file. It has a phone tree and options.

That number appears to be for Tesla corporate, not for the general public or owners.

He should probably try the numbers listed on the site:
http://www.teslamotors.com/contact

I presume he can not use the toll free numbers because he is not in the USA, so his options may be more limited (only the sales number is listed as local: 650-681-5100).

He mentions Tesla Vienna SC, so perhaps he should try the Austria numbers first:
http://www.teslamotors.com/de_AT/contact?redirect=no

As I noted above, if he is in Europe, a 3 month wait time is not unprecedented because of the limited number of SCs.

Sounds like someone gave him the wrong number maybe? I'll PM him the number I have on file. It has a phone tree and options.

Thanks a lot for the number. I called there and I was told that the only thing he can do for me is to give me a phone number for European technical support and email. Here is night right now. So i will contact them tomorrow. Will let you know.

I have received also a survey so i wrote my concerns there.