Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Around Hong Kong EV Rally - Sunday June 26th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markwj

Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
Inspired by the Tesla owners in Europe, and the #endtoend run from the top to bottom of UK, we in Hong Kong are in a pretty-unique situation. In our Roadsters, driving around Hong Kong, we don't have range anxiety.

We can literally drive the whole way round Hong Kong in about 4 hours, covering about 200Km, and using only about 1/2 to 2/3 of our batteries.

Hong Kong is the perfect place for EVs. But, the lack of vehicles, mis-information and ineffective government support is slowing adoption. Tesla is the catalyst for change.

So, we're going to do it. Tesla have generously offered to support us, and the local Hong Kong Tesla Club is arranging things. The date will be Sunday June 26th, and several Tesla Roadster drivers have already committed to joining. It will be a charity event, with proceeds going to Civic Force (the NGO raised by a Japanese Tesla owner - Mr. Ozawa, who has devoted himself to help the Japanese people suffering from the recent earthquakes).

Below is a tentative map of the suggested route, which is currently being finalised. The plan is to circumnavigate Hong Kong, including the Airport on Lantau island. All on a single charge. If you can drive completely around Hong Kong, where is the range anxiety?

For further information, and if you would like to be involved, please contact Jessie at Tesla Hong Kong.

staticmap.png

Last edited:
Not to take anything away from your worthy cause or your accomplishment I'd like to say that our charity work is aways put "in the kitty" that is goes to fund EV related projects.

Some things that always seem to need time/money
Lobbying
Chargers
Signage
Campaigns
Repairs
More lobbying.

Again, your CF cause is as good as any other. With a group there can be "discussions" on who best to receive the funds and funding the next move towards the common goal is usually an easy sell.

Of course with a worthy recipient is in the news a lot outside the EV cause there may be increased viability for the event too.

Not to take anything away from your worthy cause or your accomplishment I'd like to say that our charity work is aways put "in the kitty" that is goes to fund EV related projects.

Eric,

Interesting point. When the Hong Kong Tesla Club was formed, we identified several charities we would support. Civic Force was one of them, and is the first beneficiary. I don't believe there were any EV related charities or projects identified. I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

From the chargers point of view, we've got things covered:

HongKongChargeNetwork.png

Shopping Centres mostly, 13amp 240volt, and almost useless (imho). The 'hard' problem of home and office charging has not been tackled by the government at all, and they've just gone after the easy target of shopping centres, low power. See that big spike in the bottom left of the route map? That is the airport. Really out of the way, and zero charge stations there. That, to me, is the most obvious and useful place for a fast charger (or ten). We need the UK guys out here to tell the government where to put these :smile:

Lobbying and Campaigns need the work, but not sure how those can be financed without a charitable organisation to drive it. Perhaps things will change once the Hong Kong Tesla Club gets more established and formalised.

I nominate Mark for president of Plug in Hong Hong!

I'd be happy with a gas-free Hong Kong.

The aircon blew in my Roadster (long story), so I was driving with the Taylor mesh top for a few sunny days last week. Fantastic, but with only one problem. The fumes from the rest of the traffic on the highway was appalling. If all the traffic had been EVs, it would have been a thoroughly pleasant experience and I could do away with aircon on dry days.

Actually, I think a compromise would be to let the Mercs and Beemers can stay gas. Just convert anything older than 10 years to EV and it would make the world of difference.

The government here keeps blaming China for the pollution, but it is clear to anyone on the street where the visible (and smellable) problem really comes from.

Wow.. no aircon in Hong Kong right now would be unbearable, even at expressway speeds. I was just going to comment that this is the perfect weather to test the aircon diversion away from the cabin during "spirited driving." I achieved this last night in less than 5 minutes of driving. Ambient temp was ~34C (according to the Roadster), and the battery and PEM were both in the last block of the blue temp range. Aircon to the cabin only resumed when the battery temp dropped back to the second from last block.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to join the rally due to an already planned vacation. I'm hoping to see plenty of good media coverage when I get back! Good luck, and make sure to fully charge!

And they're off... T-off is 9:30am from Star Ferry central.

Heading down south round the bottom part of Hong island first to cyberport, then west over to the Marriott near the airport for lunch, then north up to the Science park, and finally back east via Sai Kung to Tsim Sha Tsui for high tea (around 5pm). Weather is not too bad, but some showers and 31celcius (so AirCon will most likely be on).

Done

All done. 12 Tesla Roadsters attended. We drove around Hong Kong and had some nice meals on the way :biggrin:

Here are the cars arriving at the Star Ferry central Hong Kong, grouping for the start. Tesla had arranged number stickers for everyone, so we could keep together (mostly) and in order:
StarFerry.jpg

The first stop was Cyberport on the south west of Hong Kong island. We'd had a nice climb over Victoria Peak (via Wong Nai Chung gap):
cyberport.jpg

We then drove to the airport at the far western end of Hong Kong, on Lantau island, then looped back to the Marriott SkyCity hotel for lunch. One of the members decided to take the opportunity to try the newly installed Tesla HPC in the parking lot at the back of the hotel:
marriott.jpg

marriott_hpc.jpg

We then drove north to the top of Hong Kong (bordering China) and then along the east coast down to the Science Park where we stopped to talk to a large group of passers by. We then drove through the eastern part of Hong Kong, Sai Kung and Clearwater Bay, before looping back through Tseung Kwan O to TsimShaTsui and our destination the Ritz Carlton Hotel at ICC:
arrived.jpg

My trip counter (including the journey from my home to the start point, and from the finish point back home) showed 4 hours 27 minutes drive time, 202Km driven, and 32.26kWh of energy used. Total time (including stops for socialization and food) was about 7 hours. A little over half the battery pack used.
trip2.jpg

trip1.jpg

Without the trip to/from home, I could have probably driven it twice on a full battery.

Overall, it was a fabulous day. The arrangements were impeccable, the company fantastic, and the drive most enjoyable. We definitely 'spread the word' about EVs, and generated a good donation for Civic Force.

Despite extended journeys in Lantau, and Sai Kung, no feral cattle were observed.

It is wonderful to see the Tesla owners in Hong Kong enjoy their Roadsters, spread the word about EVs, and contribute to such a worthy charity, all at once!

Thanks for sharing with us.

GSP