Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla disables autopilot in hk - just happened, very disappointing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla_disable_autopilot.jpg

Obviously pressure from the Transport Department (who have reportedly demanded this for weeks).

In a related announcement, the Transport Department replied to my letter to the SCMP with the following statement:

We have approved various advanced driver assistance systems such as active collision prevention, lane departure warning, advanced emergency braking and electronic stability control. For the Tesla model, we have already approved its auto parking, side collision warning and auto parking brake functions. We are still examining other functions Tesla intends to introduce to an already type-approved model to ensure the application of such technologies would not have any safety implication for road users.

That seems to match what Tesla is saying in the above eMail to owners. Auto-Parking is approved, but Autosteer and Auto Lane Change are still pending approval.

My 2 cents is better safe than sorry; we can't expect every Tesla owner to use AP responsibly.

Better to let Tesla work out the kinks in the background and shut it down for a bit instead of leaving it in the hands of noobs who gets into an accident and then sets AP program back years; we've already seen Crapple Daily try to do it with their one sided review.

My 2 cents is better safe than sorry; we can't expect every Tesla owner to use AP responsibly.

Better to let Tesla work out the kinks in the background and shut it down for a bit instead of leaving it in the hands of noobs who gets into an accident and then sets AP program back years; we've already seen Crapple Daily try to do it with their one sided review.

Couldn't agree anymore.

Out of curiosity, how did this "disabling" happen?

Did you have the feature, and then it was suddenly gone? or did you install an update that removed it? what exactly happened?
Basically one owner used the feature in situations that the car clearly warns it is not designed for (including in a construction zone) and complains that it is dangerous while demonstrating it to a tabloid newspaper. The tabloid notified the transport department and the transport department ordered Tesla to pull the update until they can verify the safety of it.

More details in the previous thread:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...tter-from-Transport-Department-for-auto-pilot

Basically one owner used the feature in situations that the car clearly warns it is not designed for (including in a construction zone) and complains that it is dangerous while demonstrating it to a tabloid newspaper. The tabloid notified the transport department and the transport department ordered Tesla to pull the update until they can verify the safety of it.

More details in the previous thread:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...tter-from-Transport-Department-for-auto-pilot
I'm afraid that didn't answer my question at all. I asked how they disabled it, not why.

The OP didn't say they stopped rolling out the update, he said they disabled autopilot. That implies that cars that already had autopilot no longer do. So I want to know if they did it through a new software update that you had to accept, or if it just vanished? how exactly did the existing autopilot get disabled?

If this is not a case of existing autopilot enabled cars having the autopilot disabled, and rather it's a case of Tesla simply stopping the firmware rollout, I suggest a mod change the topic to make it more accurate.

I'm afraid that didn't answer my question at all. I asked how they disabled it, not why.

The OP didn't say they stopped rolling out the update, he said they disabled autopilot. That implies that cars that already had autopilot no longer do. So I want to know if they did it through a new software update that you had to accept, or if it just vanished? how exactly did the existing autopilot get disabled?

If this is not a case of existing autopilot enabled cars having the autopilot disabled, and rather it's a case of Tesla simply stopping the firmware rollout, I suggest a mod change the topic to make it more accurate.

The existing cars with autopilot are having it remotely disabled, without a software update.

They are getting to their cars, and finding the two controversial features (AutoSteer and Lane Change Assistance) still "blue-button-enabled", but grayed out on the interface and non-operational.

Reportedly, transport department demanded Tesla HK (a) stop the roll out, and (b) disable it on cars that already had it. Demand (a) was complied with pretty quickly, but the response to demand (b) seems to be just starting now.

The existing cars with autopilot are having it remotely disabled, without a software update.

They are getting to their cars, and finding the two controversial features (AutoSteer and Lane Change Assistance) still "blue-button-enabled", but grayed out on the interface and non-operational.

I am incredulous that Tesla is capable of crippling our cars without our consent. I am also incredulous that there hasn't been a much larger, much wider outcry over the fact that Tesla is capable of disabling features in our cars.

I am just frustrated that they don't fix the 3G problem. I am on V6.2 and have to re-boot it EVERY single time! I have to wait for 7.0 which is supposed to come out pending the autopilot thing (which I don't have). This is unacceptable. If the HK TD doesn't want it, at least give me a software update to fix my 3G issue.

This is just more Transport Department stupidity, much like their backward removal of the browser. Mind you, what else can be expected from a non elected government? Perhaps they will make us have a flag carrier run in front of our vehicle as we drive, as it is quiet. Clearly, as some seem to suggest here, we needed to be protected from ourselves.

Anyone know when they will ban AP in mainland China? :biggrin: I demand them to ban it there since we are under one system....oh wait lol :tongue: I'll be sure to add that to my list when I see the two guys who are running in my area's district elections if either of them support Tesla bringing back AP LOL hopefully before the elections in a week

Autopilot isn't legal yet. Should we lobby? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Or maybe it will be included as firm ware when they start building them in China LOL.
Elon Musk says Tesla could start China car production in 2 years - Business Insider

And yeap I sure hope someone protects me and my family from being run down by cars that hits traffic cones on AP. Until they implement the full hands on steering wheel requirement in the next update or work out the bugs instead of using existing customers as guinea pigs doing their fleet learning and AI improvements, I hope your loved ones are protected too even if you don't wish the same protection on them.

Last edited:
I am incredulous that Tesla is capable of crippling our cars without our consent. I am also incredulous that there hasn't been a much larger, much wider outcry over the fact that Tesla is capable of disabling features in our cars.

Just wait till the first case of someone hacking into a car and disabling something like the steering or brakes if Tesla can remotely disable auto steering functions

I am just frustrated that they don't fix the 3G problem. I am on V6.2 and have to re-boot it EVERY single time! I have to wait for 7.0 which is supposed to come out pending the autopilot thing (which I don't have). This is unacceptable. If the HK TD doesn't want it, at least give me a software update to fix my 3G issue.
Turn OFF energy save and always connected, that's an alternative that WORKS

Anyone know when they will ban AP in mainland China? :biggrin: I demand them to ban it there since we are under one system....oh wait lol :tongue: I'll be sure to add that to my list when I see the two guys who are running in my area's district elections if either of them support Tesla bringing back AP LOL hopefully before the elections in a week

Autopilot isn't legal yet. Should we lobby? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Or maybe it will be included as firm ware when they start building them in China LOL.
Elon Musk says Tesla could start China car production in 2 years - Business Insider

And yeap I sure hope someone protects me and my family from being run down by cars that hits traffic cones on AP. Until they implement the full hands on steering wheel requirement in the next update or work out the bugs instead of using existing customers as guinea pigs doing their fleet learning and AI improvements, I hope your loved ones are protected too even if you don't wish the same protection on them.

Clearly your car doesn't have autopilot. It is less safe not using it, the capability of a driver to monitor what is happening is far greater with AP on. If you had used it, you would have noticed that it almost never behaves badly if it's used in highway driving as advertised. I have probably done more km than anyone on HK on it and it works safely and reliably.