Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X in Aus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha :) Yes I have no idea what Tesla soon is. If it's anything like Black Magic Design, the professional video camera and postproduction company, it can range from 1 month to a year. :)

It's in the pipeline........one that probably stretches across North America, Europe and Asia before it reaches Oz, to fill in the wait time you could enjoy the pleasure of the most incredible car on the planet, a Tesla Model S.

Model S delivered to first US Signature customers on June 22, 2012. (Steve Jurvetson and Elon got there's a few weeks earlier.)
First Australian Signature Model S delivered at the Launch Event in Sydney December 9, 2014.
So 2 years, 5 Months and change.
First Model X deliveries were on September 29, 2015 plus 2 years and 5 months is February 2018.
The Model S included a significant expansion of Stores and Service Centres, which is still happening, so Model X will be faster but I would not expect first Australian deliveries before 2017.

Pricing is easier to predict as Tesla have the unique idea of charging the same in all markets save shipping and local taxes. IIRC Elon said that Model X would be 10% more than the same spec Model S. Don't forget to add LCT.

Last edited:
Anyone out there had order sequence number 116 or similar on the model S? How long did it take after the first Australian deliveries for you to get your model S?
Although tesla australia treat it's clients very well in australia, we certainly dont get the same love from the US. Take a D car as an example. I ordered mine in april. Ludicrous was announced a few months later. Ludicrous was delivered to US cars.....and D cars for australia were still all un-made. Then there's the hideous homelink situation.....
So we will get X when tesla in freemont feels like it, which will be after US orders are filled if the S is any guide.

Unfortunately, Homelink is not a Tesla decision. The hardware, I am now convinced, is present in our cars. The problem is the manufacturer. It is not generally sold in this market for whatever reason. Tesla is currently working on it, it further pressure from others asking for it will help. Email your service manager. You really have to look hard to find it, but the Landrover Evoque has it as an option for it in Oz, so there is precedent. ( page9 of the specs, I believe).

Unfortunately, Homelink is not a Tesla decision. The hardware, I am now convinced, is present in our cars. The problem is the manufacturer. It is not generally sold in this market for whatever reason. Tesla is currently working on it, it further pressure from others asking for it will help. Email your service manager. You really have to look hard to find it, but the Landrover Evoque has it as an option for it in Oz, so there is precedent. ( page9 of the specs, I believe).
From the discussions I've had the hardware may not be in more recent cars.