Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New / upcoming Service Centers and approved body shops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One realization that gave me pause before committing to the purchase of my Tesla is the fact that I'm almost halfway between 2 of the current Service Centers (Raleigh, NC (146 miles) and Tyson's Corner, VA (182 miles). When I created my order, I was under the assumption (a false one, perhaps?) that the Ranger service would stay at $100 per visit, which made me feel better about the fact that if I had an issue (even under warranty) that prevented me from driving the car to the "nearest" service center, I would be able to get someone to work on it in a reasonable time and for a reasonable price. I've heard that the recent shift has been to charging a fee "starting at $100" for the Ranger service and if they charge mileage over a certain distance, I might as well ship the car to the service center by carrier rather than pay the mileage fee. (I'm only being partially facetious, here folks). I'm praying that I don't have to find out what that might entail.

As more Teslas hit the roads and (hopefully) as Tesla ramps up their Service Center support to be able to handle the increased number and geographic dispersion of cars, we will see more Service Center locations open around the country (world) that make it more convenient for owners that don't live near a current one.

Does anyone know if there is a list of proposed Service Centers (a roadmap like Tesla has for the SuperChargers)? I've asked Teslarati.com to create a new map for proposed/under construction/open Service Centers, but have not heard anything back yet. Another good map would be for Tesla approved body shops (which in Virginia, at least, are very scarce, indeed). I know we don't like to dwell on "what-ifs", but as it was in my case, it may be a make or break (pun intended) decision in the overall purchase process.

If you go to the Tesla site they have a map of all 'Coming Soon' Service centers. There are a bunch more in work, but nothing in your area.

I'd love to see a map of approved body shops, but you can check in your area on their site as well. Unfortunately the Tesla approved shops are few and far between, there aren't any near Lynchburg.

Thanks for the link! I'll keep an eye on it. I'm surprised the greater Toronto area will have 3 service centers that close together while there are states, like Virginia and Tennessee that only have one currently planned. I agree wholeheartedly about the approved body shops, VA and PA have some of the highest frequency of accidents due to deer (not to mention other drivers) and this time of year makes me dread driving around dawn/dusk, which is unavoidable with work, sometimes.

Sadly, Central, Western, and Northern New York remain devoid of Tesla Service Centers. I'm in the Buffalo area and I either have to go into Canada (Mississauga, Ontario) or Lyndhurst, OH for my service needs. Thankfully I have only needed routine service but the Seat belt check will probably wait until I go in for my second annual service next April.

No idea about Service Centers, but the Tesla approved body shops (they told me recently) around DC are in Richmond, VA; Gaithersburg, MD; and Annapolis, MD. Richmond may be your best bet for a Tesla-approved body shop. (I hope you don't need one!)

Pardon my ignorance on this, but do state laws around dealerships impact Tesla's ability to place a service center within that state? I know VA (unfortunately and surprisingly given our governor) still supports the dealership laws which might be a reason they don't locate a SC in Richmond. The number of Tesla sightings in my home town have gone up a lot recently. Wouldn't be surprised if the Richmond region had over 100 Model S owners...

Pardon my ignorance on this, but do state laws around dealerships impact Tesla's ability to place a service center within that state? I know VA (unfortunately and surprisingly given our governor) still supports the dealership laws which might be a reason they don't locate a SC in Richmond. The number of Tesla sightings in my home town have gone up a lot recently. Wouldn't be surprised if the Richmond region had over 100 Model S owners...

That doesn't really relate to whether they approve a body shop, though, does it? (I can't think how.)

Plus FYI they have a service center at Tysons Corner, Virginia. I'm pretty sure it's open. I think the dealer laws relate to selling - but it varies by state, so I don't know what Virginia's law is.

I believe Dorn's Body Shop is the one in Richmond that you mentioned. I've spoken with a few owners that have had to (unfortunately) use their services.

My Model S just returned (this afternoon) from Dorn's. I foolishly parked my car at work and someone ran into hard enough to knock the whole front bumper off. A local towing company transported the car to the Tyson's SC and Rob Boyd from Dorn's sent a truck to carry my poor car down to Richmond. It arrived back at the SC via another flatbed when the work was complete.

Rob kept me in the loop during the entire ordeal and the car looks great! (Sorry if that sounds like an advertisement. I have no relationship with Dorn's other than needed my car repaired.)

I know that in terms of being an approved body shop, there is a significant investment required in both training and equipment required to work with aluminum. With the aluminum bodied Ford F-150 on the market now, there should be more body shops around with the equipment to repair damage. I'm not sure how much Tesla charges to train folks, but it should be considered part of scaling the overall ecosystem to support a growing fleet of their vehicles.

My Model S just returned (this afternoon) from Dorn's. I foolishly parked my car at work and someone ran into hard enough to knock the whole front bumper off. A local towing company transported the car to the Tyson's SC and Rob Boyd from Dorn's sent a truck to carry my poor car down to Richmond. It arrived back at the SC via another flatbed when the work was complete.

Rob kept me in the loop during the entire ordeal and the car looks great! (Sorry if that sounds like an advertisement. I have no relationship with Dorn's other than needed my car repaired.)

Just curious, any reason you didn't go to Euro Pros in Gaithersburg? It's a lot closer to Tyson's Corner (30 minutes versus 105 minutes). Were you able to get an appointment pretty quickly with Dorn's? I have an appointment Monday for something that happened a few weeks ago. ;-(

I know that in terms of being an approved body shop, there is a significant investment required in both training and equipment required to work with aluminum. With the aluminum bodied Ford F-150 on the market now, there should be more body shops around with the equipment to repair damage. I'm not sure how much Tesla charges to train folks, but it should be considered part of scaling the overall ecosystem to support a growing fleet of their vehicles.
There is also some extensive training required to,use the Tesla parts ordering system. Among other things quite a large number of parts vary substantially by SN, and many replacement parts are completely different than the original ones were. While much of that is not unique, Tesla systems and procedures are constantly changing and upgrading, so recurrent training is also required.

Sadly I learned quite a lot about that recently. Luckily it turned out my education was mostly academic and did not affect my car. I only had to replace some front shell attach clips, which changed from original titanium to composite replacement. I now the Tesla body shop in my area due to prior experience with a friends Aston Martin and my own Porsche.