Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted: A good quality 3 - 5 sec sound sample of Roadster acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone direct me to a good quality sample of the motor sound from a Roadster? I use a plug-in for Thunderbird which plays different sounds for different filter matches; my wife gets a nightingale, the bank gets "cha-ching" etc...

I expect one could extract a sound from one of the many videos but I'm hoping someone already has this, and most of the video sound tracks are mixed with screams of joy/terror etc... 3 seconds would be fine, 5 seconds (= 80 mph?) might be incriminating!

Thanks in advance.

I made this especially for you:

TR25 launch.mp3

This is a 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 with hardtop in Performance mode and no Traction Control. (NOTE: Not on a public road)
The recording was accomplished with an Earthworks M50 measurement microphone and Sound Devices 702 field recorder at 24-bit and 192 kHz. The microphone has a flat response from 3 Hz to 50 kHz, but this is only available in the original master file since the MP3 has been reduced to a bandwidth from 10 Hz to 20 kHz.

longer MP3

I made this especially for you:

TR25 launch.mp3

This is a 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 with hardtop in Performance mode and no Traction Control. (NOTE: Not on a public road)
The recording was accomplished with an Earthworks M50 measurement microphone and Sound Devices 702 field recorder at 24-bit and 192 kHz. The microphone has a flat response from 3 Hz to 50 kHz, but this is only available in the original master file since the MP3 has been reduced to a bandwidth from 10 Hz to 20 kHz.

longer MP3

Outstanding! Those are perfect. Thank you!

Just in time...

I made this especially for you:...

I had to amplify the file quite a bit so that it could compete with "Cha-ching!" and "D'oh!" but it sounds great. I got it set up in Thunderbird just in time to announce the email telling us that our Roadster has finally shipped from CA! :rolleyes:

1392 - shipping 1.JPG

Dem wheels sho' are shiny!

Thanks again.

I had to amplify the file quite a bit so that it could compete with "Cha-ching!" and "D'oh!" but it sounds great.
How many decibels of boost did you apply? If you give me a dB value, I can go back to the master recording and compress before the MP3. Your boosted version is boosting the MP3 noise along with the wind noise. I'm sure it's fine as it is, but I might as well upload a boosted version, too.

How many decibels of boost did you apply? If you give me a dB value, I can go back to the master recording and compress before the MP3. Your boosted version is boosting the MP3 noise along with the wind noise. I'm sure it's fine as it is, but I might as well upload a boosted version, too.

(Sorry for the slow response...) I used a boost of 3.1 dB in Audicity 1.3.13 beta on Windows 7. The sample I'm using is the shorter one, TR25launch, which is the perfect length. The sample has an amplitude peak around 5.2 secs which was clipped in the aplification process but I can't hear any damage.

Since this is for Windows, I have to export from Audacity as a WAV file [1], so MP3 might not be ideal if it means losing quality. I'll PM you my personal email address in case you prefer to email me files directly. Thanks again.

[1] Technically the Thunderbird plug in can handle MP3 files but each time one is played, it opens a Media Player window. Uncool.