Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous driving makes Primetime TV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I was flipping channels last night and came across an episode of The Good Wife called Driven. I don't watch the show but they were talking about how the car was at fault and not the driver. I recorded it but haven't watched it yet. Just thought it was interesting that some of the same potential issues with autopilot and eventually autonomous driving we've talked about on TMC have made it to a scripted TV show.

Thinly veiled Tesla subject on The Good Wife Season 7 Episode 7

Anyone else watch the show?

Premise was who is responsible when a self-driving car gets into an accident. Car company in the show was "T Port" and the CEO was a with an English accent. In any case, the subject is very much about Tesla and Google's efforts on self-driving cars. Elon was mentioned in the episode as well since the subject of artificial intelligence came up too.

Give it a watch.

Anyone else watch the show?

Premise was who is responsible when a self-driving car gets into an accident. Car company in the show was "T Port" and the CEO was a with an English accent. In any case, the subject is very much about Tesla and Google's efforts on self-driving cars. Elon was mentioned in the episode as well since the subject of artificial intelligence came up too.

Give it a watch.
scratch that show off my watching list. they should just stay with their expertise...sex and deception

I watched the show - and I didn't see it as a thinly-disguised Tesla story, but rather just Google and self-driving concept in general.

This is part of socializing the concept and starting the discussion. As self-driving cars become more of a reality, there will be more and more tv plots, movies, books, talk show focus etc.

It has to happen.

My wife and I watched that episode last night and of course recognized the "ripped from the headlines" plot line, right down to the recent articles about Google's autonomous vehicles having difficulty taking the initiative at 4-way stop signs and Elon and Stephen Hawkings fears that a general AI system would place its own preservation above human life (and I think the episode writer's likely read Tim Urban's recent Wait But Why post about AI).
The autonomous car plot line was a bit sophomoric but for a general interest TV show it wasn't too bad. At least the episode was better than last week's show which closed with bleating goats...

Did anyone see her interview on the Colbert show weeks ago when she was promoting this episode? She is personally crazy nuts scared of the technology and doesn't want autonomous vehicles, which could have scared all fans into thinking the same way. My mouth dropped open when she starting talking about it.

Did anyone see her interview on the Colbert show weeks ago when she was promoting this episode? She is personally crazy nuts scared of the technology and doesn't want autonomous vehicles, which could have scared all fans into thinking the same way. My mouth dropped open when she starting talking about it.

Who is "she"? If you're referring to the actor, well, she's an actor... I don't give a great amount of credence to her opinions on this subject.

I watched the show - and I didn't see it as a thinly-disguised Tesla story, but rather just Google and self-driving concept in general.
Not a show that I watch, but I did check out this episode online. I think they clearly took some inspiration from Tesla, particularly when the Martin Eberhard surrogate character showed up in the 2nd act.

Btw, CEO guy is an Observer from the future.
Fringe_observers_are_coming.jpg