Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoyed with the Tesla app..."Turn On" climate requires two attempts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does the climate control require me to turn on the climate twice before it actually does anything? It has been like that since I got my car 14 months ago. At first I figured it was just a temporary glitch with the android app, but it is continuing despite many app updates.

This is how it goes: If the app does not show the inside temp on the climate tab when I first open it, then I hit "Turn On", wait 5-10 seconds until the button changes back to "Turn On" (hence it has failed) at which point the app suddenly will show the interior temperature. Then I hit "Turn On" a second time and it instantly turns on. If the app shows the inside temp when I first open it, then I only have to hit "Turn On" once.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Yep, I imagine it happens to most/all of us Android users. I believe the iOS app works a bit better/more consistently than android. As much as I'd like the android version to get even better, when I see people use the Leaf app, and see how SLOW it is to do anything, I'm quite happy our apps are as good as they are. Not perfect, but better than at least some of the competition.

Hmm, I just press the up arrow and it turns on, while turning the temp up a degree, it only requires a single press and is much less annoying

Only when the interior temp is displayed. I do the same and literally just tried it and my interior temp was not displayed, it followed the OP's behavior with me having to click the up button wait nothing happens it turns grey, click the down button and tada it turns on

Let me brighten up your Monday with some good news.

It's actually just a lag in communication between the phone and the car. Try this:

1. Turn on climate control from the app
2. Wait a few seconds for the button to turn back to "Turn On." This means climate control is off, right? Wrong!
3. Wait another 30-60 seconds without touching anything. The button turns back to "Turn Off" and the interior temperature shows up.

This works for me every time. I'm pretty sure climate control is on the whole time. Probably the "turn on" message is being sent to the car at the same time (or just after) the car sends the message "climate control is off," so the app doesn't get confirmation that it's on until the next message from the car.

It's just a little lag. Not perfect, but a very minor annoyance. Once you realize that, you really can just set it and forget it.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Could it be that your S is "asleep" when you issue the first command? It then "awakes" so that the second command issuance is successful? I noticed in the Project Cartesia thread the author mentioned that internal temperature was sometimes not available as the S was "asleep" and he was reluctant to issue a call to awake the car...

Let me brighten up your Monday with some good news.

It's actually just a lag in communication between the phone and the car. Try this:

1. Turn on climate control from the app
2. Wait a few seconds for the button to turn back to "Turn On." This means climate control is off, right? Wrong!
3. Wait another 30-60 seconds without touching anything. The button turns back to "Turn Off" and the interior temperature shows up.

This works for me every time. I'm pretty sure climate control is on the whole time. Probably the "turn on" message is being sent to the car at the same time (or just after) the car sends the message "climate control is off," so the app doesn't get confirmation that it's on until the next message from the car.

It's just a little lag. Not perfect, but a very minor annoyance. Once you realize that, you really can just set it and forget it.

Every time I hit it once when it is not showing the interior temp and don't go back into the app to hit it a 2nd time results in a cold car.

I've gotten into the habit of explicitly killing the Tesla Android app once I've finished using it. It seems to have a bit of trouble re-connecting to the backends if it's been opened but left in the background for any extended period of time. I never try to actually demo the app to people interested in the car since it's downright flaky and the demo gods are generally unkind.

Reactions: David29
Yes, this bs with the climate control happens every time on both my iPhone and my Android phone. In fact, on the Android phone, I have to restart the app 3 times in quick succession to get it to connect to the car (or you can just wait for it to time out the first launch). I've just gotten used to this by now, but it really looks amateurish and not of Tesla grade.

- K

On the IOS app I find the climate related app controls a bit annoying for the following reason

1.) It doesn't always show the temp of inside the car. I don't understand this behavior because it knows everything else about car. So why not the temp? Is the temp sensing only turned on when the climate control is turned on. If that's the case why does it sometimes show it when the climate control is off.

2.) The delay between turning it on versus it actually turning on. A bit annoying, but it's not horrible.

3.) No ability to turn on rear/front defroster, and no ability to turn on heated seats or heated steering wheel from the app.

I'm curious what would happen if you followed the exact steps I mentioned.

I have been having the identical problem with my Android app. I just tried your steps, and I agree: it performs as you describe.

I pressed "turn on". The display switched to "climate on". About 5 seconds later it switched back to "climate off". I kept waiting, and about 20 seconds later it switched back to "climate on" and the purple arrows and interior temp appeared.

Still a bug, but a less-buggy one.

Why does the climate control require me to turn on the climate twice before it actually does anything? It has been like that since I got my car 14 months ago. At first I figured it was just a temporary glitch with the android app, but it is continuing despite many app updates.

This is how it goes: If the app does not show the inside temp on the climate tab when I first open it, then I hit "Turn On", wait 5-10 seconds until the button changes back to "Turn On" (hence it has failed) at which point the app suddenly will show the interior temperature. Then I hit "Turn On" a second time and it instantly turns on. If the app shows the inside temp when I first open it, then I only have to hit "Turn On" once.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Android app has done this since day 1.

I have a separate but related issue.

Picks up my MS today!

Awesome!

Here is the issue though.

I left the car at a SC went in target and upon returning, a notification is present across the face of my watt/mile gauge that says "Climate Off".

The only thing I did while away from the car was log onto mytesla app and play around with the features.

Once back in the car, I have manipulated every function trying to make the notification disappear.

I've tried:
Turned the climate on and off in the car.
Turning the climate on and off on the app.
It will not go away.
The AC still turns on and off correctly, the notice is annoying because it covers my gauge.
Any thoughts??