Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea for Tesla - Tesla Valet Charging Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Tesla gains popularity, I have noticed it is becoming more and more difficult to secure a free supercharger parking spot. Tesla needs to spend more money on getting additional slots in parking lots in order to meet demand. This can be expensive from a capital expenditure point of view. Given that labor is relatively inexpensive in Hong Kong compared to the cost of installing more supercharging real estate, hiring valets might be more cost effective option. It also takes the inequity out of it. Once a Tesla is fully charged, they move the car to a normal space. If the spots are full they will waitlist your vehicle until another car fully charges. The incremental cost would be far cheaper than trying to purchase or gain rights to additional supercharging slots. Meanwhile customers know they can get their car charged and enjoy a valet service. Its a win win for everyone involved.

I wonder if it is technically possible to run multiple supercharger cables from a single power source? If so, it could charge the vehicles in the order in which they plugged in - no need to move cars around - but will require some longer cables - which will be expensive - but probably cheaper than multiple single cable chargers.
Alternately, if each charger was placed in the centre of four parking bays, the cable could be moved from car to car as each was charged.

The technology is there. One of the deciding factors will be the cost of the real estate.
My lille beach town is implementing more free charging stations. In some areas near the ocean where parking is at a premium, they may go to a model that give two hours free, then sends a text to tell you the rate for the next hours.

I wonder if it is technically possible to run multiple supercharger cables from a single power source? If so, it could charge the vehicles in the order in which they plugged in - no need to move cars around - but will require some longer cables - which will be expensive - but probably cheaper than multiple single cable chargers.
Alternately, if each charger was placed in the centre of four parking bays, the cable could be moved from car to car as each was charged.

Longer cables would be awesome, we could even park next to an ICEd spot and still get the cable to charge.
But I remember reading that the longer a cable is, the more resistance there is, which would be bad 2 ways. Slower charging and more heat.

I guess the liquid cooled supercharger cables they have might solve part of this problem.

As Tesla gains popularity, I have noticed it is becoming more and more difficult to secure a free supercharger parking spot. Tesla needs to spend more money on getting additional slots in parking lots in order to meet demand. This can be expensive from a capital expenditure point of view. Given that labor is relatively inexpensive in Hong Kong compared to the cost of installing more supercharging real estate, hiring valets might be more cost effective option. It also takes the inequity out of it. Once a Tesla is fully charged, they move the car to a normal space. If the spots are full they will waitlist your vehicle until another car fully charges. The incremental cost would be far cheaper than trying to purchase or gain rights to additional supercharging slots. Meanwhile customers know they can get their car charged and enjoy a valet service. Its a win win for everyone involved.

This idea, I believe, was first brought up by DITB back in 2014, at that time, I personally thought that it would be great but wouldn't work because Tesla won't hire valet staff to station at the superchargers, but looking at the situation now, I can't think of a better way to solve current owners parking at superchargers overtime due to ignorance and/or selfishness. Also, because if the stalls are full, the next owner can always get an approximate waiting time, such that he can choose to wait or to leave and search for another charging location. Waiting time is something that none of us owner can possibly know except the person charging himself. So, hotels + valet superchargers is ideal and workable, since we already have hotels + valet destination charging now (single-phase HPWC is just too slow).

For multiple of reasons, Valet is a good idea. I hope they even charge us to use super chargers, so it incentivizes people to charge at malls or at home. I only drive 200km per week and it sucks knowing that I pay the same as the other drivers who SPOT or are driving Uber.