Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I am getting a Signature Tesla Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I need a minivan for practical reasons, kids, family, moving stuff picking up their friends
I need an SUV for work due to driving safety and handling
I need space because my vehicle is a mobile office at times
I need built in technology to increase my efficiency
I need all wheel drive for winter safety
I need a car that does not cost me 800.00 a month in gas
I need all this utility in one vehicle
I need one car for all seasons
I need a car that is low maintenance
I don’t have time for oil changes where they try to upsell me to synthetic on my 8-year-old SUV
I only want to pay insurance on one car
I want a car that is fun to drive
For once in my life I want a cool looking car!
I want an innovative car, because that’s who I am
I want a car that gets better with age because that’s what I strive for
I want a car that’s more exhilarating to drive than anything out there
I want to do something good for the environment
I want the safest car available
I want to be able to say, “It’s in the frunk. Oh, you don’t know what that is? Let me show you?”
I want to be able to say, “Now I am going to touch the Ludicrous Button, are you ready?”
I want to do something for myself that may be considered an indulgence but when you look really deeply is probably the most practical car decision I ever made

I am tired of compromise vehicles.

Roomy often means poor fuel economy or bad handling
Quick often means room for one more person and a bag
Fuel-efficient often means small
Exotic often means impractical for all seasons (spring, winter and fall not appropriate for driving)
As a family man having two kids or more means pretty much every ICE vehicle is a compromise in one of these areas

Having weighed all the pros and cons, there is only one car for me.

The Tesla Model X

• Informative
Reactions: Jon
Even if this were true, why would he need a second car? Tesla gives service loaners.

There are times, in my area anyway, that loaners are few and far between. I have had to wait a week to get even get my car looked at without a loaner. And with the OP having kids it's better to be safe than sorry.

With Tesla having a ton of CPO cars (most of which are loaners) this will most likely not be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

The Model X will be our only car too.

"Dude" good luck with that.

There's a big difference between being a wet blanket and being realistic.

Last edited:
"Dude" good luck with that.

There's a big difference between a wet blanket and reality.
Thanks for the well wishes. Would be pretty difficult to call this "reality" unless you're driving one of the Founders Model Xes and have had problems with the Falcon Wing Doors.

I have kids too. With activities that require transportation. And the Model X will be our only car. And I'm not in the slightest bit worried about that.

Have a nice day.

I need a minivan for practical reasons, kids, family, moving stuff picking up their friends
I need an SUV for work due to driving safety and handling
I need space because my vehicle is a mobile office at times
I need built in technology to increase my efficiency
I need all wheel drive for winter safety
I need a car that does not cost me 800.00 a month in gas
I need all this utility in one vehicle
I need one car for all seasons
I need a car that is low maintenance
I don’t have time for oil changes where they try to upsell me to synthetic on my 8-year-old SUV
I only want to pay insurance on one car
I want a car that is fun to drive
For once in my life I want a cool looking car!
I want an innovative car, because that’s who I am
I want a car that gets better with age because that’s what I strive for
I want a car that’s more exhilarating to drive than anything out there
I want to do something good for the environment
I want the safest car available
I want to be able to say, “It’s in the frunk. Oh, you don’t know what that is? Let me show you?”
I want to be able to say, “Now I am going to touch the Ludicrous Button, are you ready?”
I want to do something for myself that may be considered an indulgence but when you look really deeply is probably the most practical car decision I ever made

I am tired of compromise vehicles.

Roomy often means poor fuel economy or bad handling
Quick often means room for one more person and a bag
Fuel-efficient often means small
Exotic often means impractical for all seasons (spring, winter and fall not appropriate for driving)
As a family man having two kids or more means pretty much every ICE vehicle is a compromise in one of these areas

Having weighed all the pros and cons, there is only one car for me.

The Tesla Model X
Awesome post! I am in the same boat, but with a production reservation. Haven't decided yet on P90D or 90D. I like the little extra bit of range on the 90D, though it's probably slight enough that it's not worth worrying about. The Model X will be our only car as well. The superchargers are already plentiful enough for our particular road trip needs. When the Highlander Hybrid first came out, I waited in line to get one of those for many of the same reasons. Would have bought a hybrid Sienna if they made such a beast.

The Model X is truly one of a kind. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your sig. Don't forget to share all the details on the forum for us lowly production reservation holders. :)

Reactions: Martin VanB
There are times, in my area anyway, that loaners are few and far between. I have had to wait a week to get even get my car looked at without a loaner. And with the OP having kids it's better to be safe than sorry.

Lots of people with children around the world operate with just one vehicle and seem to find a way to survive. I've read here that many times when Tesla doesn't have an S loaner they rent an ICE for people. Obviously, if you have another vehicle to use then you'd not need a loaner from Tesla. And yes, for non critical stuff depending on how busy the SC is, people sometimes have to wait to get an appointment.

I'm quite sure that the OP can figure out a solution for himself and his family should he run into a difficulty with his X. Not sure why you want to rain on his parade; it's an odd behavior.

To the OP: Early congratulations on your Model X! I just hope you know that you're likely to become the designated chauffeur for your children and their friends.

I was not raining on anyone's parade....how you took my post as raining on his parade is odd.

You said in response to the OP's opening post which was filled with excitement and anticipation: Hopefully you have a second car. Any first model car is going to have issues and I have bad feeling those falcon doors are going to be a PITA (hopefully not though).

Then Mr. Boylan tried to support the OP by posting he also would be a one car family with Model X. To which you responded with the same 'rain' as you did to the OP: "Dude" good luck with that. There's a big difference between being a wet blanket and being realistic.

It's odd to me that you'd think others would see your comments as 'thrilled that the OP ha(d) decided to buy an X.

Thanks Martin VanB.... glad finally to see a thread that is not trying to redesign the seats, the charger. the doors or the front end. From my perspective, the Model X is a impressive design (and yes, I was fortunate to see it in person). There are lots of reasons to have a Model X. I am eagerly awaiting mine. Thanks for the post.

We will have a second car to go with our Model X .. a Nissan LEAF lol. Not so much a "second car" as the LEAF is one of our commuter cars and the Model X will be the other and the Model X will be the sole car that can travel outside the city. Not worried at all.