Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Balance of supercharging and destination charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ThosEM

Space Weatherman
Dec 13, 2013
Annapolis, MD
Normally, I’m on board with EV charging and figuring out ways to make any given trip work. However, there have been a few times in two years / 50,000 km, when an EV just doesn’t work and we have to give in and drive an ICE car.

Case 1: Eastern seaboard trip from DC area to rural NJ in late Jan.: Supercharger in Edison was about 120 miles round trip, but there was considerable local driving to be done. Record cold temperatures were predicted. Hotels near the destination could not provide even so much as a 110 V outlet. It was indeed brutally cold and a cold soak without power did not seem like a good idea. We ended up being happy not to have the Tesla because of a nasty blizzard that made our return trip quite dangerous. This one seems excusable, given the extreme conditions, but lack of destination charging was notable.

Case 2: Weekend trip from DC area to Rochester in Nov.: We have a CHAdeMO adapter and Sheetz has a CHAdeMO charger in Harrisburg. However, Harrisburg to Rochester is not possible on a single charge, and there is nothing along the way except EVplug chargers, and a HPWC in Lewisburg at Bucknell University. Bucknell to Rochester is also a stretch, passing through remote areas of western PA and NY, with the “darkest skies east of the Mississippi”. The route crosses I-80, but there are no SCs along I-80 yet, though one appears to be planned. It also intersects I-86 at Corning NY, but there are no plans for a SC along I-86 between Binghampton NY and Erie PA. I’m not willing to detour 100 km through Delaware to pick up chargers at Newark and Binghampton, which could (just) do the trick in currently mild weather. Time is too limited. A SC is coming (for a long time now) to Allentown/Whitehall that would make it easier but no shorter.

Bottom line: The lack of destination and highway charge points can exert strong pressure toward using an ICE vehicle when time is limited. I don’t understand why major E-W interstate highway superchargers are not at least on the books as planned. In the northeast, there seem to be too many SCs in urban areas and not enough on rural stretches of interstate highway, with insufficient destination charging even near the largest cities. Great progress is being made, but priorities seem muddled.

Normally, I’m on board with EV charging and figuring out ways to make any given trip work. However, there have been a few times in two years / 50,000 km, when an EV just doesn’t work and we have to give in and drive an ICE car.

Case 1: Eastern seaboard trip from DC area to rural NJ in late Jan.: Supercharger in Edison was about 120 miles round trip, but there was considerable local driving to be done. Record cold temperatures were predicted. Hotels near the destination could not provide even so much as a 110 V outlet. It was indeed brutally cold and a cold soak without power did not seem like a good idea. We ended up being happy not to have the Tesla because of a nasty blizzard that made our return trip quite dangerous. This one seems excusable, given the extreme conditions, but lack of destination charging was notable.

Case 2: Weekend trip from DC area to Rochester in Nov.: We have a CHAdeMO adapter and Sheetz has a CHAdeMO charger in Harrisburg. However, Harrisburg to Rochester is not possible on a single charge, and there is nothing along the way except EVplug chargers, and a HPWC in Lewisburg at Bucknell University. Bucknell to Rochester is also a stretch, passing through remote areas of western PA and NY, with the “darkest skies east of the Mississippi”. The route crosses I-80, but there are no SCs along I-80 yet, though one appears to be planned. It also intersects I-86 at Corning NY, but there are no plans for a SC along I-86 between Binghampton NY and Erie PA. I’m not willing to detour 100 km through Delaware to pick up chargers at Newark and Binghampton, which could (just) do the trick in currently mild weather. Time is too limited. A SC is coming (for a long time now) to Allentown/Whitehall that would make it easier but no shorter.

Bottom line: The lack of destination and highway charge points can exert strong pressure toward using an ICE vehicle when time is limited. I don’t understand why major E-W interstate highway superchargers are not at least on the books as planned. In the northeast, there seem to be too many SCs in urban areas and not enough on rural stretches of interstate highway, with insufficient destination charging even near the largest cities. Great progress is being made, but priorities seem muddled.

Tesla continues to add Superchargers, but I'm sure that it is prioritizing key markets and trying to build effective _routes_. While every Supercharger will allow somebody to complete a journey faster, isolated Superchargers are of much lower value than each Supercharger in a route, so Tesla likely looks to identify and agree multiple sites in a route before progressing. So you'll see nothing, and then a flurry of activity as another route is added.

You can't get over the fact that more destination and hotel charging is needed. But the hotel charging you mention is largely a Catch 22 of Tesla being the only long-distance BEV company.

Oh, and we're coming to the end of 2015, so we should soon see Tesla's 2017 network plan.

Fun with numbers: 1 year of GM's > $1B US marketing budget could be used to build an estimated 3,333 Supercharger sites. Ignoring sites where we already know the location, and ignoring spurs (those 3-digit Interstates), I would suggest that no more than 215 additional Superchargers would be needed to provide complete coverage of the lower 48's Interstate network.

Last edited:
There are many situations where a current EV doesn't cut it. I don't think that's a problem. 10 years ago there was very little EVs and the charging infrastructure could do, today they can do so much more. Just imagine what will be in 10 years from now.

This is something you can also try to have some influence on. It’s not all up to Tesla to put in destination chargers at every hotel. When you call some of the hotels, tell them that you are looking to find a hotel that has some form of outlet available for your electric car so that they know it’s an amenity people are looking for. Ask to talk with their facilities/maintenance manager and see if they would be able to have a dryer outlet or RV outlet available. I’ve heard of several people having good luck with that.

This is something you can also try to have some influence on. It’s not all up to Tesla to put in destination chargers at every hotel. When you call some of the hotels, tell them that you are looking to find a hotel that has some form of outlet available for your electric car so that they know it’s an amenity people are looking for. Ask to talk with their facilities/maintenance manager and see if they would be able to have a dryer outlet or RV outlet available. I’ve heard of several people having good luck with that.

+1. This is something I do on any road trip where I'm staying at a hotel, even if I don't strictly need the charge, and even if all they can offer is 15A 120V. But it did allow me to take the Tesla to central NJ on a cold January, even before the Edison and Hamilton superchargers were built. A combination of 120V charging at the Hyatt House Branchburg and a couple hours at a nearby L2 charger allowed me to make the trip. It wasn't ideal but it made the difference between ICE and Tesla for that trip.

Great approach suggestion! I will definitely give this a shot...

A lot of hotels do have a 110v 15amp plug available. The front desk person might not know, but I make it a point to always ask so that they get used to the question. Ask the facilities manager and they often have 110's that they would be willing to let you use whether it be outside or in a parking garage. As usual, please ask first before using a plug.

For example, I was at Landowne Resort in Ashburn, VA and I asked about electric vehicle charging. The front desk had no idea, but the facilities manager said of course! They ran an extension cable out in the front lawn so I got to park right in front and I charged at 120v, 8 amps. I was there for about 20 hours total in 2 days, so that's about 40 miles of range that was added.

Tesla continues to add Superchargers, but I'm sure that it is prioritizing key markets and trying to build effective _routes_. While every Supercharger will allow somebody to complete a journey faster, isolated Superchargers are of much lower value than each Supercharger in a route, so Tesla likely looks to identify and agree multiple sites in a route before progressing. So you'll see nothing, and then a flurry of activity as another route is added.

I hear you on that, but if you look at the future plan for 2016, you'll see a dense string of SCs being established along I-95; far more than are needed to make a trip along that route. Meanwhile, I-80, I-81, and I-86 are starving for basic coverage that would enable much travel without long detours to the small number of populated routes.

I continue to feel that the priorities are questionable, and will do what i can to influence that, beginning with this thread, because I know Tesla is listening when we post here.