Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One of the hardware pushbuttons now has no function: invent one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On AutoDrive Teslas, the pushbutton at the end of the cruise control stalk served to turn on/off the cruise control in v6. With v7.0, it seems to do nothing.

Suppose Tesla let the owner select a function to assign. What choices would you like on that list? Remember, this is an option for one of the controls that you can find with tactile means without taking your eyes off the road (as those touchscreen buttons require).

1. Ignore the next exit lane markings (in Auto-Steer).
  2. ?

Last edited:
Don't some cars not have that button?. I figured it'll never get used again for that reason.
You are correct. Hence the function of that button must be for convenience only, i.e. it would just be a short cut of something that are accessible by other user input.

1. Toggle air conditioning from fresh air to recirc and vice versa.
2. Toggle seat position: Push the seat backwards for easier exit, and restores it to the profile setting.
3. Toggle rear door child protection On-Off
4. Toggle speed aware media volume control

On AutoDrive Teslas, the pushbutton at the end of the cruise control stalk served to turn on/off the cruise control in v6. With v7.0, it seems to do nothing.

Suppose Tesla let the owner select a function to assign. What choices would you like on that list? Remember, this is an option for one of the controls that you can find with tactile means without taking your eyes off the road (as those touchscreen buttons require).

2. ?

That button should definitely be reserved for activating Turbo Boost...

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it's on the end of the AP stalk, I'd like to see it associated with AP. Therefore, I'd vote for a "coast up to this light with slight regen" button, instead of the car hauling butt at 65 mph towards a stopped car until the radar picks it up and then slamming on the brakes late.

On pre Autopilot cars, that button is to turn Cruise on and off. Not to activate / deactivate cruise, but to completely turn off or on the cruise function. It's superfluous. I just leave it on in my S, which means at any time I can engage / disengage cruise as needed.
I know that the AP cars have a different cruise stalk design. I don't know why the button is present in this cars.

2. ?

This is a really great observation and an even better idea to assign it a function. Can you please post the idea to use the button as a user-defined button over on the 7.1 Improvements Voting List? Vote on software features/bugs to fix in 7.1 and beyond ?

Waitaminute -- I use the pushbutton at the end of the stalk to turn off autopilot. Is there another method that I should use to disable autopilot?

I figured if I tug at the wheel or hit the brakes, it would be viewed by Tesla as an "emergency override" of the autopilot and create a data point that they should analyze. If I disable it by pressing the button, it means that I'm done with autopilot and I would like to take manual control and complete my journey manually.

Waitaminute -- I use the pushbutton at the end of the stalk to turn off autopilot. Is there another method that I should use to disable autopilot?

I figured if I tug at the wheel or hit the brakes, it would be viewed by Tesla as an "emergency override" of the autopilot and create a data point that they should analyze. If I disable it by pressing the button, it means that I'm done with autopilot and I would like to take manual control and complete my journey manually.
Wait? That works? I thought I had to tug on the wheel or hit TACC off. <duh, mind blown>But guess I got the car right when v7.0 dropped so I never had used that button before. Wow, and I've read both old and new manuals many times.

Take a peek at p72 of the 10-28 V7 manual. There are 7 ways to cancel Autosteer including just pushing the cruise control stalk away from you.

Ditto

Since it's on the end of the AP stalk, I'd like to see it associated with AP. Therefore, I'd vote for a "coast up to this light with slight regen" button, instead of the car hauling butt at 65 mph towards a stopped car until the radar picks it up and then slamming on the brakes late.

I like this idea a lot.

But to elaborate and clarify, as I see it, it would basically just be a "coast" button. From the time it is pressed, the Model S would not use any additional energy until it was overridden by the driver using the "Go" pedal. And until that time, the Model S would either coast or regen as necessary, based on the TACC. In other words, if it had nothing in front of it requiring it to stop, it would coast. If it needed to stop, it would regen and eventually brake.

Another possibility as an improvement to this idea would be to allow a second press of the button to force the car from the mode above into regen mode--you'd be actively increasing the rate at which you slow down, useful for the times when there is nothing in front of you, but you need to stop anyway.

And again, once the button has been pushed, a simple application of the "Go" pedal sets everything back to normal, such that if TACC had been engaged, it reengages at whatever set speed, etc. was previously set.

I REALLY like this idea!

Take a peek at p72 of the 10-28 V7 manual. There are 7 ways to cancel Autosteer including just pushing the cruise control stalk away from you.
Yes, but that also cancels TACC, iirc. Sometimes I know when auto steer needs help and want to cancel that, but not cancel TACC.

- - - Updated - - -

I also use it to turn off the AutoPilot.
That is not mentioned on pg. 72 of the manual.