Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Level 2 charger will be compatible. You can charge at up to 48A, but it will accept any lower amperage as well. You won't be able to use the same Level 3 DC fast chargers as BMW uses CCS while Tesla can only use CHAdeMO via an adapter or their own proprietary Superchargers.

Looks like the i3 uses a standard SAE J1772 connector. Model S comes with an adaptor to use such a thing (no UMC required) and I would assume they will include it with Model X as well.

If not, you can get it from Tesla here

I think @Lyon missed a detail and may accidentally be giving bad information. You may not have noticed that @mcmcmc is from London. They do not generally use the J1772 (sometimes called Type 1) format charging plugs in Europe. It’s usually a Type 2 plug. The good news is that all of the European Teslas use the Type 2 as their standard charge port on the car, so it wouldn’t even need an adapter. At the European Tesla stores, they do have the CHAdeMO adapters that convert to the Type 2 plug.

Well by golly I think you're right. I'm pretty sure I replied on TapaTalk which doesn't show the location unless I click on the username. Yes, European Model S use a Type 2 and should be directly compatible with the i3 chargers. Thanks Rocky!