Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Diagnostics Menu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone knows what's hidden here? Couldn't find out the code so far...

attachment.php?attachmentid=1896&d=1307371456.jpg

IMG20110527104604.jpg

It's not likely to be 42 but only because it's too short.

TM isn't that nerdy ;)

You're talking about a company whose CEO sent a wheel of cheese into space? Underestimate their nerdiness at your peril!

P.S. At risk of being banned forever from the forum, my guess is 55378008, which is the "punchline" of an elaborate Dolly Parton joke told using a cheap calculator. Ahem.

Last edited:
I refuse to tell what I did in my previous life but here's the logic to crack a code number:

This type of pad suggests a 4-digit code.
The "0" is almost never used (unless as an "enter" key at the end of a 5-digit code).
The first number is more often than not one of the top two corners; 1 or 3. Using the roman alphabet most of us start as we would start writing, at the top left. So a better than 50% chance that 1 is the first digit.
The second number is most likely one of the bottom two corners; 7 or 9. We like to think that we choose random patterns for these things but our mind tells us to create memorable patterns and again, there is a tendency to go left. Recommend trying 7 as the second digit.
Now our need for randomness sends us back to the top, trying to get as far away as possible from the first two digits. Try 3 as the third digit.
Finally, totally ignoring the chaotic process needed for a truly secure code number we realize that no number has been chosen from the center row or the center column so we choose 5 as the final digit.

Try "1735" and send me a case of good Weissbier if it's correct... :biggrin:

This type of pad suggests a 4-digit code. ...
Try "1735" and send me a case of good Weissbier if it's correct... :biggrin:

Fascinating post Nigel and congratulations, you just guessed all my ATM PINs... But given the power of this screen and the tempting menus which must hide behind it, I bet it is car-specific. I would have appended the last 4 digits of the VIN (backwards/transposed?) or something. Imagine someone posting a root crack on a forum and hey presto, we're flashing our own firmware updates and everyone's driving a Roadster Sport++ which gets 10 miles/charge until someone finds the settings to explode the car or something... :crying:

...I bet it is car-specific. I would have appended the last 4 digits of the VIN (backwards/transposed?) or something.

But that's too simple (and I bet Suxxer tried it already) for the consequences you suggest, and has more chance of an owner hacking it out of curiosity. For our garage keypad entry I generated a truly random number with no obvious pattern and my wife hates it. After 2 years of use she still has a hard time remembering it, but it's just a 4-digit code.

P.S. Suxxer never told us where he found that screen...

P.S. Suxxer never told us where he found that screen...

On my car, I stumbled across it one day while waiting for a colleague to join me for our car pool: the car was off and it was going through the various menus, which lead me to wonder what technology of touch panel TMC is using. I started tapping on the "info" screen away from any button (the upper right corner or the space between the exit button and the left arrow will do). After 7 taps, the diagnostic menu appeared. Fearing I may mess up something, I backed out without trying any code.
As a side note, I remember posting about this "feature" here, but now I can't find my post... I guess I'm just getting old!

Asked my Service Ranger - the pass-codes are Ranger specific (I guess so they know for the access logs). Behind the PIN screen there are various options for resetting the PEM and turning certain systems on and off during service work and to stop the Rangers electrocuting themselves. There are also more detailed (technical) diagnostics messages.....

Thought you might like to know.