Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car's electronics (touchscreen, radio, normal sounds like turn signals) going HAYWIRE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since v7 updated, I've had crazy issues with the electronics. First I noticed one of my door handles stopped responding to touch. Then I noticed Slacker would sound like a skipping vinyl record album. Then the touchscreen and main driver displays in general started lagging really bad, not responding actions, freezing, etc to Then it spread to other sounds like the turn signals. It is solved either by me manually rebooting the screens or it'll force the reboot itself.

It happens ... about every other day I'd guess.

I've got an appt to bring the car in next week but I'm wondering if any others have experienced this and what the fix was so I can share any applicable info with them when I get to the Service Center.

Last edited:
There are two ways to reboot, and you can try them both. One uses the top buttons, one above the left scroll wheel, and one above the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Hold those down for up to 30 seconds, until you see the screen reinitialize. The other method is to use the two scroll wheels to the left and right on the steering wheel. After the first screen reinitializes, afterward hold the scroll wheels down for up to 30 seconds.

I hope this resolves your issues.

I have not had the problem with turn signals, but after 7.0 as I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I did have my 17" become unresponsive, so I rebooted... I had one instance of Handles not responding to touch, but figured I'm a newbie and must have screwed-up, so pressed my FOB button twice and they presented. Then the Music player started acting up, including your symptom of Slacker not playing or not allowing any controls to be used.... I rebooted... Nav acted up with only partial displays in the 17" as i was sitting in my driveway, then when I shifted into reverse, the rear backup camera showing the bottom 1/4 of the visual at the top, and the rest below it -- all live -- that was odd. I had the 17" reboot itself while I was driving a few minutes later. Then strange things with receiving an incoming call from the same number after a minute or so when I'd open my door and get in the car, and when I pressed a button on 17" or IC to answer... Nothing there, and the message for the call would stay on the other display, but I found the number was actually a missed call from the day before on my iPhone6 running iOS 9.1 and there were no calls really coming through. I rebooted the IC and 17", then finally called support as some of these things kept occurring.

Net was, deleted my phone from the MS in Bluetooth settings. Delete the pairing info from the iPhone Settinga. Reboot the iPhone. Reboot the 17" if you have not already. Re-pair the iPhone with MS. ...and as odd as it is, I've not had a single "electronics" problem in several days now. As to how all that is connected, I don't have a clue. Support was sort of shocked with this as well... They said they saw some of my symptoms just after iPhone6 came out a year ago, but not since... I think it's all very, very, odd, but since I can't recreate this, and the problem went away after disconnecting and reconnecting my phone, well, it is what it is. JUST BE SURE you do all the steps above... Apparently fully deleting the phone/MS connection on both sides and those reboots are part of the trick.

Good Luck.

I has some Slacker audio issues when I got updated from v7.0...56 to ...217. It got updated at the service center when I was having my center console installed. The next morning I was getting awful static on all the internet radio. I tried rebooting once, and no change. Called service and they indicated there was a known bug with .217 and I would probably have to wait for the next update for a fix. I then tried rebooting a second time and now it's working fine again. I'm still on .217.

What's your full firmware version?

Getting worse.. Today the main screen has failed to turn on at all, and while it's off regen brakes and turn signals are intermittent.

Just now it took five minutes for the screen to turn on, which means I had no access to garage door opener, hvac, stereo, reverse camera, etc.

My appt got rescheduled for December. I hope this doesn't continue this bad. Feels like a computer with a hard drive about to die. I'm sure they're going to context disassemble my dash to fix this, I wonder if they'd upgrade the LTE at the part cost since they're doing the labor anyway...

Getting worse.. Today the main screen has failed to turn on at all, and while it's off regen brakes and turn signals are intermittent.

My appt got rescheduled for December. I hope this doesn't continue this bad.

If your 17" doesn't come back to life by Friday, I would just drive the car to the Service Center. Personally, I consider the loss of the 17" a safety issue since so many functions cannot be controlled at all without the 17". At the very least, they can give you a loaner/rental until they can service your car.

And I only say Friday because its 5:30 where I write this and my service center is closed. For you, you might be able to still swing by before they close for the day.

If your 17" doesn't come back to life by Friday, I would just drive the car to the Service Center. Personally, I consider the loss of the 17" a safety issue since so many functions cannot be controlled at all without the 17". At the very least, they can give you a loaner/rental until they can service your car.

And I only say Friday because its 5:30 where I write this and my service center is closed. For you, you might be able to still swing by before they close for the day.

Agreed. When my 17" screen started acting wonky while showing houses to a client, service asked me to bring it in immediately.

Got my car back today - their solution was to clear my trip meters. We'll see how that holds up. I was told the computer is basically bogged down with processes causing the issues and to clear my trip meters often.

So now I've lost all my kW/M data :( I hadn't cleared one of my meters since I got the car so I could know my lifetime power usage. Albeit only 8k miles so far so I can't see how that's killing the computer.

I think the real issue is that they can only look at a few days of logs and I wasn't ever instructed to note the date/time of any incidents so they weren't able to even see the issues in my logs. So I feel like I've probably got more wasted days in my future as I will be bringing it back in for this again. I can't fathom that resetting a trip meter solves this problem.

Just noticed this gem in the service report:
Per FSE "there isn't a quick solution yet and honestly we don't have better short-term solution than an MCU reset". Instruct the customer on how t use the drive note function, so that more information can be stored next time.
But they never mentioned either of these things to me. And I have no idea what "Drive note function" is.