Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner gets 240 plus miles with a 90%/standard charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While my P85 is being serviced in Rockville, MD I have a loaner. Did a standard charge (90%) on it last night and found 242 miles of range in the morning. My P85 gets about 215 miles of range on a 90 percent charge and only gets 240 plus on a range charge.I've never seen anything close to that range on a standard charge. Whatever's in the loaner battery I want some:)

While my P85 is being serviced in Rockville, MD I have a loaner. Did a standard charge (90%) on it last night and found 242 miles of range in the morning. My P85 gets about 215 miles of range on a 90 percent charge and only gets 240 plus on a range charge.I've never seen anything close to that range on a standard charge. Whatever's in the loaner battery I want some:)

I doubt much of it is the battery.
More likely it is 19" vs 21" tires? Or a non performance loaner? Or even charging behavior differences?

Two possibilities here:

If it was an 85D, as mentioned that's a possible range at 90%.

If it was a RWD car, my P85 got 241 mi @ 90% when the battery was new. We've heard through the grapevine that Tesla can reset the range calculation algorithm on their loaner cars, and often does. If that was done, it's possible you were seeing the range as a fresh estimate, before the algorithm inevitably drifts downward with the value.

Two possibilities here:

If it was an 85D, as mentioned that's a possible range at 90%.

If it was a RWD car, my P85 got 241 mi @ 90% when the battery was new. We've heard through the grapevine that Tesla can reset the range calculation algorithm on their loaner cars, and often does. If that was done, it's possible you were seeing the range as a fresh estimate, before the algorithm inevitably drifts downward with the value.

That's very likely what's happening. It's a P85 not a D and it has about 13,000 miles on it. It's probably max charged frequently and run down to low levels, which I understand makes the calculation better.

When my S85 was new, I got 265 on the nose @100% and about 240 @90%. With 33 months and 62,000 miles, I am seeing numbers very close to yours (245/217 miles)

That's weird why would not they share the method to reset car's algorithm...:confused:

Maybe because they don't want someone running out of charge thinking they had 265 miles when they really had 255 miles. I doubt anyone drives a loaner that far. I've tried pulling fuses to the MCU and BMS, that did not change anything. I take what I hear with a grain of salt, but if this is true, it seems like a closely guarded secret.

Artsci,

I am much more concerned that your range is so low. That's an awfully big loss. Have you queried Tesla on this? My P85+ gets 232 at 90%. 236 when new.