Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Googles car gets pulled over by police for driving too slowly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few of the comments posted on that page are downright reactionary. They remind me of people a hundred years ago shouting at the driver of one of those new-fanged "horseless carriages", yelling "Get a horse!"
Some people hate change and are unable to comprehend the possibilities new technology offers, so they retreat into their own little world of what is familiar and comfortable for them.
Apparently it was doing 24mph in a 35mph and obstructing traffic. It turns out this is by design and perfectly legal. I think I'd be annoyed if I had to drive behind one of these things in that circumstance.
Inquiring Minds Want to Know |
After reading that report, it is unclear to me how the officer persuaded the car to pull over. I thought that Google car model didn't have a steering wheel, so even though I assume it had an occupant, they can't really "drive" the vehicle (when Google released e first video of that car it showed people being driven around in a parking lot by the car, which had no steering wheel). But that must not be the case, the version that is driving on public roads in the Mountain View area right now must have manual controls so that the occupant can take over if necessary.

Last edited:
After reading that report, it is unclear to me how the officer persuaded the car to pull over. I thought that Google car model didn't have a steering wheel, so even though I assume it had an occupant, they can't really "drive" the vehicle (when Google released e first video of that car it showed people being driven around in a parking lot by the car, which had no steering wheel). But that must not be the case, the version that is driving on public roads in the Mountain View area right now must have manual controls so that the occupant can take over if necessary.

I thought the Google car typically (always?) has people in it, with a laptop connected to it, which can override the car in case of emergency?

There are basically two types of Google autonomous cars: Lexus SUV or Prius with a bunch of hardware attached to them (with a normal steering wheel and pedals), and the tiny purpose-built EVs that in some videos posted by Google do not even have a steering wheel, the latter type is shown in the articles linked to in this thread.

I've been pulled over for go 54 in a 65 trying to conserve range before super chargers were prevalent here in the east and I was on my way back from Manhattan, in the winter, around midnight. I would have probably pulled my meandering magical space vehicle over as well.

There are basically two types of Google autonomous cars: Lexus SUV or Prius with a bunch of hardware attached to them (with a normal steering wheel and pedals), and the tiny purpose-built EVs that in some videos posted by Google do not even have a steering wheel, the latter type is shown in the articles linked to in this thread.

The little one still has a removable steering wheel, accelerator pedal, and brake pedal.

Makes me think that the car may be able to detect when it is being pulled over. The self driving software ought to know to pull to the side of the road when it hears sirens and/or seeing warning lights (as it normal etiquette when a firetruck or ambulance is rushing nearby), so maybe it knows that it should pull over and stop if it sees a police vehicle behind with lights going and siren blaring? Should be easy to detect compared to a lot of other things the car needs to "know".