Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
My service center tells me that when my S85 was delivered 6 months ago the tread depth of its new 19" tires was 9/32".

I just had snow tires mounted and out of curiosity measured the depth of the removed normal tires to see how much they had worn in the just over 10,000 miles I've driven on them since new.

Three measured 8/32" all the way across. The forth measured 8/32" on one side and the middle and slightly less on the other side.

I'm no tire guy so I've no idea if that amount of wear is good or bad.

Opinions, please? Good, bad, average or what?

Many thanks!

1/32 in 10K miles is about as good as you're going to see. The one tire appears to have a slight alignment wear issue, but there's not enough information to say more than that.

That's good. I'm at 11k miles now, just had my car in for some fixing up and my first rotation, and they measured my tires 8/32" all around (L/C/R Front/Back), I was surprised and happy, because from reading all the reports here the car supposedly eats tires for dinner.

That's good. I'm at 11k miles now, just had my car in for some fixing up and my first rotation, and they measured my tires 8/32" all around (L/C/R Front/Back), I was surprised and happy, because from reading all the reports here the car supposedly eats tires for dinner.

I think this is mostly with the 21" wheels, and also depends on how aggressively you drive. If you aren't doing too many TESLA starts, I don't know that the 19" tires wear any faster than a normal car.