Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone charger slot in console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rickgt

Enthusiast owner/member
Dec 13, 2014
Carmel
I read that the Model X charger slot has "guides" to make it easy to dock the phone on the charger plug without having to look and fumble around. Any chance this would be available as a retrofit for Model S console???

It's all speculation, isn't it -- but IMHO, I wouldn't hold my breath for Tesla to come out with a change to an option that not all MS have.

I have the Center Console, and the design is problematic with my iPhone6... If you have one without a case, it works fine, but the phone is still flimsy tilting side-to-side. Many cases add depth to the back of the case, or to the height between the bottom of the case and where the connector plugs into the bottom of the phone won't work. I tried 3 different cases, and ended-up with a less bulky case on my iPhone that works with the console, but the basic console design for the phone IMHO just isn't flexible enough without a fairly significant redo of the phone section. I fortunately don't need to charge my phone in my MS most of the time, but I already determined if I did, I would just plug a separate cable into a USB outlet to my phone and let it go at that.

It's all speculation, isn't it -- but IMHO, I wouldn't hold my breath for Tesla to come out with a change to an option that not all MS have.

I have the Center Console, and the design is problematic with my iPhone6... If you have one without a case, it works fine, but the phone is still flimsy tilting side-to-side. Many cases add depth to the back of the case, or to the height between the bottom of the case and where the connector plugs into the bottom of the phone won't work. I tried 3 different cases, and ended-up with a less bulky case on my iPhone that works with the console, but the basic console design for the phone IMHO just isn't flexible enough without a fairly significant redo of the phone section. I fortunately don't need to charge my phone in my MS most of the time, but I already determined if I did, I would just plug a separate cable into a USB outlet to my phone and let it go at that.

You should take a look at this thread I started:

Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

I am not at all handy, and I was able to modify the iPhone mount to accommodate a phone in a case with basically just a toothpick. I included lots of pictures.

Andy,

thanks for your input... I've actually got the iPhone to dock on the connector just fine (I use a very slim case)...

My issue is the side to side adjustment so I can attach it to the lightning connector without having to "guide" it in the right place. Perhaps I will get some black plastic strips, and try to glue them to the back... if it works, I'll post pictures.

You should take a look at this thread I started:

Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

I am not at all handy, and I was able to modify the iPhone mount to accommodate a phone in a case with basically just a toothpick. I included lots of pictures.

Andy,

thanks for your input... I've actually got the iPhone to dock on the connector just fine (I use a very slim case)...

My issue is the side to side adjustment so I can attach it to the lightning connector without having to "guide" it in the right place. Perhaps I will get some black plastic strips, and try to glue them to the back... if it works, I'll post pictures.

The iPhone holder is probably made of ABS plastic. If that's the case, ABS cement would be prefect for gluing guide strips made of ABS; if not, then look for glue that adheres to plastics.

I would suggest using a scrap of ABS pipe, ripped into strips maybe 1/4" wide and about half the length of the iPhone. It will be about 1/8" thick. Put a piece of 80 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and run the concave side of the strip over it to get a flatter and rougher surface for good glue adhesion. Then make several passes on the cut edges with 150 grit sandpaper, rounding them off a bit at the top to make it easier for the iPhone to slide in place.

Wrap the iPhone in plastic film (from a sandwich bag, thin plastic shopping bag, etc.) to protect it from glue squeeze-out and connect it to the charger cable in the holder. Glue ABS strips on both sides of the phone.

I tried 3 different cases, and ended-up with a less bulky case on my iPhone that works with the console, but the basic console design for the phone IMHO just isn't flexible enough without a fairly significant redo of the phone section. I fortunately don't need to charge my phone in my MS most of the time, but I already determined if I did, I would just plug a separate cable into a USB outlet to my phone and let it go at that.

I'm having my center console installed as I type this. Curious what case you found that worked with the docking port? I am also considering getting a "dock extender" but I'm concerned that might end up damaging my phone if it gets knocked.

I'll probably go the route you did (just get a separate cable) but if there is a handy solution that would allow me to use my case at the same time I'd be interested.

I'm having my center console installed as I type this. Curious what case you found that worked with the docking port? I am also considering getting a "dock extender" but I'm concerned that might end up damaging my phone if it gets knocked.

I'll probably go the route you did (just get a separate cable) but if there is a handy solution that would allow me to use my case at the same time I'd be interested.

I have a "slim" (not the "traveler") wood backed case from carved.com. It requires a bit of dremel tool work around the black Lightning port area to slightly widen it... The Tesla lightning adapter (just like the Amazon version) is a little larger that a standard Apple cable, and as a result, even that case won't work without a mod.

An alternative, is just buy a standard Apple leather cover for your iPhone6. Mine works as-is without any modification as the area on the bottom of the phone is kept wide open around the Lightning port... That is the key to getting a good fit.

Good luck.

Did you see my post, with a link to another thread, in post number three of this thread? It includes details of a really simple modification you can do to the charging port that will allow the port to work with a number of cases, including the Seidio Dilex case my wife uses.

Did you see my post, with a link to another thread, in post number three of this thread? It includes details of a really simple modification you can do to the charging port that will allow the port to work with a number of cases, including the Seidio Dilex case my wife uses.

Whoops. Clearly I blew right past your comment! That's a great tip, I will look into doing that. Thanks!

Adapting the plug so it can work with a smartphone in a case is the first step - at least you can then get reliable power to the phone when it is docked.

But getting the phone to dock can be difficult - and adding guides on either side of the phone - to make it easier to slide the phone into the dock - and get the plug into the phone - would also help considerably.