Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First LA to SF roadtrip - busy superchargers over Thanksgiving weekend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking forward to my first LA to SF Bay Area (Mountain View) Tesla road trip over Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm a little worried that the Superchargers will be backed up with other Tesla drivers over the holiday weekend. Specifically, I plan to drive from Santa Monica to Mountain View on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and charge-up at the Tejon Ranch and Harris Ranch stations, and then drive back on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Should I be worried about potential long lines at these stations? Are there better times of the day to shoot for to help minimize the chances of a backup at the SC stations? Any thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oops, sorry! Just saw there is a long thread about the LA to SF superchargers and how a number of folks have experienced long waits. Sigh, I'm not sure I want to take the chance with the Tesla now, considering I'll be traveling with my wife and 2 young (i.e., impatient) kids.

You should be fine as long as you aren't traveling back on Sunday; that seems to be the worst day. I find that when I travel on Saturday, leaving earlier is better. If I leave home at 7AM then I'm likely to only see one other driver at Harris and Tejon, but if I leave at 10AM then although I'm still not waiting in line, I'm getting one of the last available spots.

I have driven this route several times too and I've never had to wait. This Thanksgiving though, is unlike any other because there are more Teslas on the road than ever before. Probably 2x the number of last year in the Bay Area, if not more. Do report back! Drive safely.

- K

I'm looking forward to my first LA to SF Bay Area (Mountain View) Tesla road trip over Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm a little worried that the Superchargers will be backed up with other Tesla drivers over the holiday weekend. Specifically, I plan to drive from Santa Monica to Mountain View on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and charge-up at the Tejon Ranch and Harris Ranch stations, and then drive back on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Should I be worried about potential long lines at these stations? Are there better times of the day to shoot for to help minimize the chances of a backup at the SC stations? Any thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'd use 101 for one of the directions, if not both. Much nicer drive, IMHO.

Definitely a nicer drive. But if going for raw speed take I-5. I'm headed from LA to Roseville too, leaving Thanksgiving morning, returning Sunday. I imagine I may have to wait at Harris Ranch on Sunday but hopefully not too long.

Definitely a nicer drive. But if going for raw speed take I-5. I'm headed from LA to Roseville too, leaving Thanksgiving morning, returning Sunday. I imagine I may have to wait at Harris Ranch on Sunday but hopefully not too long.

US-101 is a longer trip, but I agree, it's nicer. Also, if you're driving late at night and want options to stay overnight on this road trip, US-101 is far superior because Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, are all awesome places to stay. On I-5, you gots truck stops.

- K

US-101 is a longer trip, but I agree, it's nicer. Also, if you're driving late at night and want options to stay overnight on this road trip, US-101 is far superior because Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, are all awesome places to stay. On I-5, you gots truck stops.
This comment is spot on. If getting there in the shortest possible time matters then you take I-5, but US-101 is nicer in all other respects.

That said, I took 101 this weekend and the supercharger at Atascadero was definitely busy. I wonder how crazy it got at Tejon Ranch and/or Harris Ranch...