Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI Behavior Change with Low Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I'm posting this separately from the V7 firmware threads, as those seem to have become a bit more about the overall layout, etc... And I'm not sure this is a v7 thing at all, as I've not driven this far down recently.

When I first got my car back in the V4-5 days, I had occasion to drive it down to 0 once, and at as I got to zero (perhaps slightly before) the dash range display indicated I needed to charge immediately:

dash0a.jpg

I've not driven it that low since. About a month ago I got it down to 6 miles on a road trip, and that gave me the typical navigation planning warning of needed to drive slowly, and charge to reach my next destination, etc... but no red dash message. But then again I wasn't at 0. That was on v6.2.

Yesterday I drove it down to 0 again (on purpose for a calibration test), and no such indication:
dash2.JPG

So I'm wondering if that red range-display message has been eliminated entirely? I note that the power-limiting line in the energy gauge is at about the same place in both pics.

I actually parked it and ran the heater for another several hours, I did get a couple of "HVAC power reduced" messages, and the energy limter line eventually dropped to about 20KW before I plugged it in[1].

Has anybody else driven to 0 an noted similar UI behvaior change?

[1] Interestingly, it would only charge at about 5A for the first 20 minutes or so before ramping up to the full 40...

Guessing your 12V battery needed a charge cycle after this run down using HVAC, so it recharged your 12V battery first, before charging the main pack.

5A is enough for the DC-to-DC converter to run.

Ah, that makes sense. As a matter of fact, I believe a low 12V warning popped up as well.

Learned something new... thanks.