Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Would you pay for a higher power Model X charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
At this point in time, Tesla is saying that they are going to ship a single 48A charger (for charging from AC EVSE equipment like the HPWC, or J1772) in the Model X, with no possibility of upgrading.

To help Tesla understand what the demand is for a higher power internal charger, I am running this poll. Please be truthful whether or not you consider the utility of a higher power AC charging option to be worth $2,000 (a random number I picked out of the air, but similar to what Model S costs to upgrade from 40A to 80A).

Poll - EasyPolls.net

I think the price is much too high if you're talking about a factory installed 72A charger instead of a 48A one. The $2000 price for dual chargers includes a second charger and the labor to take apart a completed car and put it back together at a service center. A Model X option would be for one charger (just a larger size) and the labor on the assembly line should't be more to install one charger than another. Really the only cost should be the cost difference between procuring the two chargers and something for their trouble of offering the option-- I would think a few hundred dollars for the option at the most. But I didn't vote as I don't have a Model X on order.

The question asked is incomplete IMO. The car should have 72 or 80a charging standard. I can now only answer No, not because I don't think it should have faster charging but because I don't think there should be an extra charge. I think many people, like myself included, want this car to make long(er) trips with and would like to take advantage of the destination charging (you have to because there is no Home charging at the other end). 48a charging will not work in those cases, not even if you are the only one at the destination charger and arrived near empty.

I think many people, like myself included, want this car to make long(er) trips with and would like to take advantage of the destination charging (you have to because there is no Home charging at the other end). 48a charging will not work in those cases, not even if you are the only one at the destination charger and arrived near empty.
Yes it would, for overnight destinations. Full charge from 0 in about 8 hours.

If they gave me a DC charger for the cost of a 2nd charger plus the HPWC that was as good as or better in watts then yes, I would pay extra. Although that would not help me at destinations, but I would expect that they would move to more DC chargers in that case so it would all work out.

If Model X does indeed only have the capability for a single 48A charger then Tesla needs to really step up their game on Supercharger construction.

Downplaying the need for faster AC charging in lieu of Supercharging is all well and good, but there are still huge areas with no Supercharger coverage...and Tesla has just crippled Model X appeal for people living in those areas. Between this and the their new extortionist Ranger policies, I guess Tesla has decided they don't need remote customers.

It's one thing to have a vision of fast, free charging for everyone traveling long-distance, but it's quite another cut off the alternative used by people living in areas where your "vision" does not yet apply.

I voted yes but I will be cancelling my MX reservation and getting a MS within the next 2 months. The charging issue was the last straw. I do plan to be first in line for the fully autonomous MX. I expect it will have increased charging capability, a greater than 300 mile range, seats that fold flat, and a mix of other technological niceties.

I voted yes but I will be cancelling my MX reservation and getting a MS within the next 2 months. The charging issue was the last straw. I do plan to be first in line for the fully autonomous MX. I expect it will have increased charging capability, a greater than 300 mile range, seats that fold flat, and a mix of other technological niceties.

I suspect your strategy is a solid one and one I am seriously considering too. But we will probably have to act in the next few months before Tesla screws up the Model S too with these new "features".

So I get that not having dual charging will periodically bump those with 4 hour "practically free" time of use rates into paying higher rates for a fraction of their charge. I get that people who drive a lot - over 150 miles without supercharging - on a regular basis could have measurable, even meaningful extra electric cost. (In this case I'm not sure I wouldn't rather allocate the avoided dual charger cost toward a powerwall.)

And I get that some places are in charging deserts. When my aunt got her car there was no network, and when she's at her summer home in Jackson WY it's still pretty sparse. Even so, they never once utilized their dual chargers, and didn't get them when they traded for a 70d.

So I'm trying to get my head around the "problem" not having faster charging represents for destination charging. This problem seems like a straw man. On 40a 4 hours will provide over 100 miles. Not all HPWC's provide 80a. Many "destination" charge opportunities may provide less than 40a. Are there really that many 80a charging opportunities where people will need more than 100 miles of charge, and have less than 4 hours to do it, and Supercharging will not erase this problem very shortly, that the lack of dual charging is a significant market problem?

On a monthly basis, how much time is this going to cost people? How many people are actually WAITING for their cars to charge when ac charging?? I just can't help feeling that dual chargers have WAY greater value in concept than practice for all but a very few outliers. And those folks are making use of their dual chargers daily or weekly. Maybe it would help to hear from folks who USED to rely heavily on dual chargers, and what their thoughts are.

You are not getting it. Higher power charging is a luxury that I want to have. Like heated steering wheels, alacantra header, and 22" wheels. Tesla dumbing down the Model X vis a vis Model S is inexplicable and not appreciated.