Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS60: First long trip.... looking for advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family and I are getting ready to take our first long distance trip. I am looking for advice from people that have taken long trips on Superchargers that stretch the range limits. Especially for those with MS60 cars.

I will be driving over thanksgiving, car loaded with about 600lbs, temps probably 50 ish, and winds, who knows....

My main concerns are in three stretches.

1) The infamous St. Augustine, FL to Savannah, GA run of 170 miles

2) A run from Santee, SC to Charlotte, NC of 168 miles

3) And my biggest concern is a run from a house in Pfafftown NC, to a house in Shady Springs, WV of 164 miles (18000ft up and 16000ft down)

I've done a lot of research on this already (including many threads here). I believe it is possible to do it safely, but I'm looking for advice, and ideas from people who have experience.

There's also Plugshare.com too to find many other charging options....especially when you may only need an extra 10 miles of range.

Also, how aggressively/fast you drive can make a big difference. Good luck and have fun!

+1.

And consider getting/borrowing a Chademo adapter if it looks like there are decent QC stations when you're not going to make the next Supercharger.

These are daunting, but doable...but would also suggest https://evtripplanner.com/planner/

I've done several 60kWh trips between the I-5 superchargers from Canada to SoCal and all seem doable.

Things to keep in mind:

1. Always max range charge and wait until it stops, pre-cool or pre-heat the cabin while on supercharger
2. Slightly over-inflate 19" tires to 47psi if temps are in the lower 50's
3. Wash car, because it is nicer to travel in a clean car...and it is more aerodynamic ;)
4. Always verify your detailed route from nav to be sure it isn't taking you on a non-ideal route
5. Watch your trip energy graph if you decide to drive faster or are using more energy than it thinks

My family and I are getting ready to take our first long distance trip. I am looking for advice from people that have taken long trips on Superchargers that stretch the range limits. Especially for those with MS60 cars.

I will be driving over thanksgiving, car loaded with about 600lbs, temps probably 50 ish, and winds, who knows....

My main concerns are in three stretches.

1) The infamous St. Augustine, FL to Savannah, GA run of 170 miles

2) A run from Santee, SC to Charlotte, NC of 168 miles

3) And my biggest concern is a run from a house in Pfafftown NC, to a house in Shady Springs, WV of 164 miles (18000ft up and 16000ft down)

I've done a lot of research on this already (including many threads here). I believe it is possible to do it safely, but I'm looking for advice, and ideas from people who have experience.
This may sound silly but since it's your first supercharger trip l'd make sure that supercharging is activated and working on your MS60.

- - - Updated - - -

supercharge.info

is also a very helpful site

Last edited:
To add on to point 5 from Discoducky, we just did our first 1000 km trip from Vancouver to Calgary, lots of mountain roads.

The "Trip" screen on the energy app will show you the amount of juice you will have by the time you get to your destination. it will take into account traffic, elevation changes and so on. however i found that my foot isnt as smooth as the car and i burned a lot more juice (15-20% more on 200Kms). Once we started using cruise I was with in 5-10% of the trip estimate (even with significant elevation changes)

We found the average distance between superchargers to be 180kms (120 Miles) apart, which i'm sure is similar in the states. spend the time to juice it up.
We actually found the trip more relaxing as it forces you to take a break and make those memorable Tesla moments with passers by.

Thanks, good advice

I have calculated the trip on EVtripplanner. The key routes don't turn yellow until I set the speed at .95 and make the cabin temp equal the outside temp...50deg

Anyone ever have any issue with headwinds, can you compensate with lower speeds. What's the lowest speed have you driven safely in traffic? Use of heater? Drafting and how to? does going up and down mountains really balance out or is there mileage loss in the process?

I've been looking into getting a Model S, and I live in charlotte with family in SC, the santee supercharger is out of the way to visit them, so I've been looking for alternatives. One I found was in Blythewood, SC. It says Exit 27 on I-77, free to the public and open 24/7. I've never stopped by there though, so I can't verify what speed or anything...

My boys and I ran a high school science experiment: We can confirm that slight over inflating makes a measurable difference. The max efficient speed is around 22 mph. At that speed it is good to have a sign in the back and the hazards on and go possible off interstate. But a P85D can run at below 170. In the more normal world trailing a truck with cruise control also makes a meaningful difference if just slightly short of juice.

At your first departure let the range charge finish about 30 mins before leaving so battery is warm and have the cabin preheated. Remember you warm the cabin air first and then the seats, etc inside absorb the heat from the air. So give it time for the interior the heat soak. Bring extra blankets because the heater is the first thing to be shut off when range is limited.

You never get 100% of the energy back during regen when talking equal ascent/descent distances.

Warming the battery eats up miles like nobody's business. So try to precondition while plugged in. Plus, if you get the cabin nice and warm while plugged in, it will hold that heat, if you turn off climate, for quite some time. That will save miles too. But I find the cabin warming doesn't compare to the amount of energy to get the battery to the optimal temp.

Cold and rain affect the range quite significantly. The battery level prediction will generally always plummet like a stone for the first half an hours' driving (does for me anyway), but trust the car's ability to judge the amount of time needed at the supercharger. If you tend to drive over the speed limit, sitting and charging for another ten minutes is definitely worth it.

The missus and I just went to Calgary and back, loved the trip - will definitely be doing it again. The 60 was the bargain of the S range, just like the 70 is now - enjoy!

More great advice, thanks, please keep it coming
to answer a few questions, I have tested the car at superchargers before, I've just never tried a chain of superchargers before. All trips have been day trips to destinations near chargers and back
I don' t have the tech package, so I don't have all the trip planning features

question. What is preconditioning. Is that a Battery thing or an interior thing? Is there were a way to heat the battery before I leave?
and any advice or tricks on how to handle headwinds? Its winter time and the winds can be high out of the north down the east coast.

If you don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, try to find someone who might lend one to you for the trip, just in case.

You can generally trust the in-car trip graph as long as weather is decent. The 50's generally shouldn't cause much trouble after the car is warmed up. Just go easy on the speed at first until you get a feel for how much energy it's going to take.

Thanks, good advice

I have calculated the trip on EVtripplanner. The key routes don't turn yellow until I set the speed at .95 and make the cabin temp equal the outside temp...50deg

Anyone ever have any issue with headwinds, can you compensate with lower speeds. What's the lowest speed have you driven safely in traffic? Use of heater? Drafting and how to? does going up and down mountains really balance out or is there mileage loss in the process?

Don't drive yourself crazy going 35MPH. Not safe and makes Tesla look bad! Just find a charger and don't stress yourself out. Draft off other cars or semis, but of course keeping a safe distance more important than drafting. I don't think I ever went slower than 55 or 60, compared to my usual 80 or so depending on the limit. My strategy was always drive more conservatively during the first part of the leg, then see how it goes. If you have plenty of charge you can speed up and arrive safely with just 5 or 10 miles of range left with no worries.