Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Specs mislisted - Wondering how you would handle it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, in July I happily bought a CPO 2013 S. One of the specs had paint armor, which I was happy with as I live in FL where love bugs are super annoying and can do nasty things to your front bumper over time.

When I got the car there was a laundry list of issues with the car, which have been resolved over 3 service center visits in 4 months. Not the greatest start. All of these issues were things which "should" have been caught on their CPO check. Eg, pano roof had a leak, both audible and water drip in. Trim was screwed up on outside slightly. B pillar trim was screwed up. One of the mirrors wasn't tinting, etc. Never really made a big deal over it because **** happens.

Most recently I noticed after seeing another Tesla @ a SC that their hood had a very faint line on it. When I asked the owner what it was from... the answer is it was the paint armor ending, which showed my car did not have it. This is where I got somewhat upset with Tesla. They miss listed the car, clearly didn't do any in detail pre-sale inspect etc. There is nothing to "certified" in the CPO except the warranty refresh.

Now Tesla has offered to get a vendor to come in and put on the PA kit, but I am not so happy with this for the following reasons:
1.) The car was miss listed (and slightly mis-priced) based on this)
2.) The car has driven for who knows how long without the PA, therefor it has not gotten the protection on it for the last 30000 miles
3.) I know nothing of this vendor, an if Tesla is getting the cheapest local guy, or what.
4.) How do I know what other aren't being truthfully told me (looking @ the P85D HP for example)

In this situation would you simply take the offer for a Tesla vendor to come add the PA to your car, even though its over 2 years old at this point? Or would you ask for the monetary difference of the PA listed value (eg 500$) in store credit? Or just let it go.

I am probably just going to take the PA and be happy, but I feel like if I never noticed I would have been screwed over for not having something which I paid for.

From what I have heard that paint armor does not add any significant value on the re-sale of the car. So I don't think you paid much more if any.
But I agree Tesla needs to make this right. If you do get the paint armor then ask them to do the full hood and not the partial hood like the car you saw. Many people complained about the partial hood coverage and as you can see Tesla does not offer it any more.
Dirt and wax will build up on that line across the hood and it will stick out.

From what I have heard that paint armor does not add any significant value on the re-sale of the car. So I don't think you paid much more if any.
But I agree Tesla needs to make this right. If you do get the paint armor then ask them to do the full hood and not the partial hood like the car you saw. Many people complained about the partial hood coverage and as you can see Tesla does not offer it any more.
Dirt and wax will build up on that line across the hood and it will stick out.

They informed me their vendor will not do this.

@ CATB, I will ask them. Thank you

Then I would take the compensation and get it done yourself.
Agree with CatB on the paint correction too. Best to get the paint looking good before putting on the paint armor.

They also informed me they would not offer any compensation. Nor credit towards an LTE or anything. Its default (with half hood), no hood and just fender, or nothing.

Note, I have not pushed on them at all yet, or even spoken to a manager. I brought the question here to see if I was being unreasonable first.

It seems like you should be able to coordinate with their local guy and pay the difference between their $500 partial hood job and the cost of the full hood. From my experience, the difference shouldn't be much. I don't think pushing for that to occur is unreasonable.

I think Tesla is being exceptionally reasonable and fair in dealing with you by arranging to have this matter rectified. Please take them up on their offer and continue to enjoy your car.

You have a point that they need to be more careful about their CPO cars and I bet they are being more careful with them now than when they first started the CPO program.

The key thing here is that no one tried to screw you over. It was most likely an honest mistake and the paint protection film is no longer something they even offer. I personally would not want a line across the hood where the half protected paint protection ends. Perhaps see if you can pay the difference and have them put the film on the entire hood.

Please don't stress too much about this.

Long story short, in July I happily bought a CPO 2013 S. One of the specs had paint armor, which I was happy with as I live in FL where love bugs are super annoying and can do nasty things to your front bumper over time.

When I got the car there was a laundry list of issues with the car, which have been resolved over 3 service center visits in 4 months. Not the greatest start. All of these issues were things which "should" have been caught on their CPO check. Eg, pano roof had a leak, both audible and water drip in. Trim was screwed up on outside slightly. B pillar trim was screwed up. One of the mirrors wasn't tinting, etc. Never really made a big deal over it because **** happens.

Most recently I noticed after seeing another Tesla @ a SC that their hood had a very faint line on it. When I asked the owner what it was from... the answer is it was the paint armor ending, which showed my car did not have it. This is where I got somewhat upset with Tesla. They miss listed the car, clearly didn't do any in detail pre-sale inspect etc. There is nothing to "certified" in the CPO except the warranty refresh.

Now Tesla has offered to get a vendor to come in and put on the PA kit, but I am not so happy with this for the following reasons:
1.) The car was miss listed (and slightly mis-priced) based on this)
2.) The car has driven for who knows how long without the PA, therefor it has not gotten the protection on it for the last 30000 miles
3.) I know nothing of this vendor, an if Tesla is getting the cheapest local guy, or what.
4.) How do I know what other aren't being truthfully told me (looking @ the P85D HP for example)

In this situation would you simply take the offer for a Tesla vendor to come add the PA to your car, even though its over 2 years old at this point? Or would you ask for the monetary difference of the PA listed value (eg 500$) in store credit? Or just let it go.

I am probably just going to take the PA and be happy, but I feel like if I never noticed I would have been screwed over for not having something which I paid for.

I'm too new to Tesla to know exactly what Paint Armor is, but reading this thread it sounds like a clear bra (like 3M or whatever). If that's the case I'd not want that put on 30K old paint. I'd rather just get a store credit for LTE or the annual service or whatever. I imagine if you press a little on that they will accommodate.

I think Tesla is being exceptionally reasonable and fair in dealing with you by arranging to have this matter rectified. Please take them up on their offer and continue to enjoy your car.

You have a point that they need to be more careful about their CPO cars and I bet they are being more careful with them now than when they first started the CPO program.

The key thing here is that no one tried to screw you over. It was most likely an honest mistake and the paint protection film is no longer something they even offer. I personally would not want a line across the hood where the half protected paint protection ends. Perhaps see if you can pay the difference and have them put the film on the entire hood.

Please don't stress too much about this.

I am not going to fret about it very much. They will not give me a full hood wrap, even if I offered to pay for it. Claim is the wrap is still coming from fremont and a local company is installing it. Fremont never had the full hood, so they wont offer it.

I am going to quickly talk to the service manager when I pick it up tomorrow, but not going to stress about it it really. Slightly disappointed they won't even give the credit it costs Fremont to create/ship it here + the instillation cost.

The only thing I am pissed about at all is that CPO means nothing besides "no visual damage". There is no CPO inspection. But hey, at least there is a warranty refresh.