Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too much music.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize that many people like to have the radio or their tunes on at all times. However, I am not one of them.

The problem is, that every time I open the car door to get in, the music starts. I reach in and hit the off button on the steering wheel, and it is "blessedly" silent again. My wife and I don't need a beat going all the time to keep our hearts pumping, and we can do whole trips (thousand mile) without having tunes playing.

What gets me is, I can't turn them off. I do the tunes app, turn it off, and next time entering, it's on. If I mute it, it just keeps playing in the background through the playlist, over and over and over.

What's with that? Why can't we have an "always off" button that we can turn on, rather than an "always on" button that has to be turned off every time??? This started several months ago in my Signature, and still exists now on my 90D.

Anybody else bugged by this little improvement?

I also wondered about this, but it doesn't bother me. I've taken to just putting on some classical or ambient music when I exit to its relaxing and pleasant when I reenter. Edit: going off of the above post, have you actually tried switching to "AUX"? I have not.

This is a firmware bug introduced in firmware 6.0 or 6.2. It has been bugging the living heck out of me too. Pause the music when I pick up the boys from school. Come back to the car, open the door, and AC/DC starts blasting TNT. Or, grannie and grandpa are babysitting, and my vinny falls asleep. Carry him to the car to go home, open the door, and the previously paused Kashmir starts thumping away.....

I have this problem when I am listening to radio also...however, if I listen to Slacker and pause it, it stays paused even when I open the door. It actually stays paused on the same song for over 24hrs. I've only noticed this change with Slacker since v7. Perhaps that can be a work around until Tesla fixes the radio problem.

This problem is likely caused by the car's "sleep mode" - a feature added to reduce energy consumption when the car isn't being used for extended periods - especially when it is unplugged (like parking at the airport0.

When sleep mode was first introduced, there were bugs in the software's ability to resume after sleep mode - and it caused problems with the USB media player. Fortunately, there was a setting to completely turn off sleep mode. And since my car is parked plugged in overnight almost all of the time, I was able to eliminate this problem.

However, it appears when they released V6.2 (and this is still in V7), they changed the settings for sleep mode - "off" now means off, except overnight. All cars now go into sleep mode overnight - and there's no way to turn completely disable sleep mode. The music playback problem is back because sleep mode can't be turned off.

Tesla needs to fix the resume-from-sleep problem with the music playback software. Evidently they are not properly restoring the media player settings when returning from sleep mode - and they really should get this problem fixed.

However, Tesla should also fix the settings for sleep mode. If owners want "sleep overnight", then there should be three settings - "off", "sleep overnight" and "always". For me, I'll probably always use either "off" or "always" - and use the "always" mode only when I'll be parking my car overnight somewhere without being plugged in (like at in an airport garage).

I've reported this media playback bug to Tesla multiple times - now and also with the earlier releases - and they still haven't fixed it.

This is a good example of why Tesla should open the beta testing to more of their owners - because this bug still gets through their testing - and once it's in the production software, they seem more focused on fixing other problems - and haven't yet been able to fix this one - which shouldn't be that hard to do...

Do you have the premium audio system? If so, set a favorite for XM channel 0 - the "radio ID" channel. There's no audio stream with it. It'll remain silent.

Unfortunately this isn't an option if you don't have the XM receiver, but at least it's a workaround for those who do.

I noticed that when I pause the music from slacker, park and leave the car, it will resume playing when I return and open the door, but not loud at all. When I close the door, it resumes at the volume that I previously set to. This is not a problem for me, and actually is to my liking.

Use Bluetooth.

I have the opposite minor annoyance. I use Bluetooth from my phone for my audio. Sometimes the music will automatically be playing when I return to the car sometimes it won't. It never automatically plays, however, if the music was paused when I exited the car.

My annoyance could be your blessing.

Use Bluetooth.

I have the opposite minor annoyance. I use Bluetooth from my phone for my audio. Sometimes the music will automatically be playing when I return to the car sometimes it won't. It never automatically plays, however, if the music was paused when I exited the car.

Exactly the right answer given the current bug.

Use Bluetooth.

If your phone is away, though, doesn't the car select the last Slacker station listened to? I can't recall.

I realize that many people like to have the radio or their tunes on at all times. However, I am not one of them.

The problem is, that every time I open the car door to get in, the music starts. I reach in and hit the off button on the steering wheel, and it is "blessedly" silent again. My wife and I don't need a beat going all the time to keep our hearts pumping, and we can do whole trips (thousand mile) without having tunes playing.

What gets me is, I can't turn them off. I do the tunes app, turn it off, and next time entering, it's on. If I mute it, it just keeps playing in the background through the playlist, over and over and over.

What's with that? Why can't we have an "always off" button that we can turn on, rather than an "always on" button that has to be turned off every time??? This started several months ago in my Signature, and still exists now on my 90D.

Yes it bugs me too. I thought I could turn the volume to 0 and it would mute until I turned it up no?

Doesn't happen to me. Hmmm....don't know why.

I listen to a weird mix of nothing, streaming through phone (audiobooks, podcasts & music), commercial radio and UBS stick music.

I do have a bluetooth issue that keeps cropping up. Its so infrequent that service couldn't figure it out. Need to take it in again though as they may have a clue this time.

I agree: I don't always want music playing, either.

I never noticed this problem, though, because instead of using the mute button, I turn the volume down to 0 using the scroll wheel. The volume remains at 0 if I leave and re-enter the car.

Another annoyance that the software has always had... If you select a BT device for playback - leave the car - and return with the same BT device - you have to manually re-select the BT device for media playback.

On a recent trip, I was playing an audiobook from my phone - and was pleasantly surprised that it remembered I was doing that when I returned to the car - and all I had to hit was the "play" to resume listening to my audiobook.

Neither option is "off", but if just want no noise: Could turn volume all the way down or set the source to your phone and not play anything on your phone. Could possibly do this also with an empty USB drive selected as the source, but I've never tried that.
I am the opposite- I like a little pomp and circumstance to welcome my arrival, along with the handles, lights and other acknowledgments to welcome the master (or mistress, as it were). :)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for my redundant response. Should've read through the rest of the thread. What they said. :)