Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S accelerates faster than space shuttle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much hp does the shuttle have? Is it running pre-release firmware? Does the shuttle have the pano windshield option? Anyone with a vbox can confirm?

too many questions, not enough info. Let's not jump to conclusions. Someone tweet Elon?

With rockets and jet engines HP is kind of a meaningless term. You measure pounds (or Newtons) of thrust instead. The main engines produce about 500,000 pounds of thrust each and the total thrust is 1.2 million pounds according to NASA. The acceleration is low at first because it is lifting a heck of a lot of fuel, as the fuel gets burned off (very quickly), the thrust to weight ratio increases dramatically, which increases acceleration.

I believe the 85D and 90D are rated at 4.1s 0-60.

Maybe it's a roll-out issue with the measurements...

Referring to the shuttle taking 4.2 seconds for 0-60 MPH vs P85D doing it in 3.1.

I know brianman was kidding, but I guarantee you NASA is --NOT-- using roll out figures. So in the interest of allowing people to make a fair comparison, in case anyone is shopping for the two vehicles, the correct numbers would be:

Space Shuttle: 4.2 seconds, 0-60, no roll out
P85D: 3.4 seconds, 0-60, no roll out

The P85D still wins, but not by as much.

I'm guessing the Space Shuttle takes the quarter-mile. As far as passing speed goes, the Space Shuttle makes the P85D look like it's standing still.

I know brianman was kidding, but I guarantee you NASA is --NOT-- using roll out figures. So in the interest of allowing people to make a fair comparison, in case anyone is shopping for the two vehicles, the correct numbers would be:

Space Shuttle: 4.2 seconds, 0-60, no roll out
P85D: 3.4 seconds, 0-60, no roll out

The P85D still wins, but not by as much.

I'm guessing the Space Shuttle takes the quarter-mile. As far as passing speed goes, the Space Shuttle makes the P85D look like it's standing still.

In case anyone is shopping for the two vehicles, the correct numbers would be:

Space Shuttle: 4.2 seconds, 0-60, $450 million - using NASA's lowball number.
P85D: 3.4 seconds, 0-60, $110,700 - an unloaded P85D.

The P85D wins, by a whole lot.

:biggrin:

In case anyone is shopping for the two vehicles, the correct numbers would be:

Space Shuttle: 4.2 seconds, 0-60, $450 million - using NASA's lowball number.
P85D: 3.4 seconds, 0-60, $110,700 - an unloaded P85D.

The P85D wins, by a whole lot.

:biggrin:

That's an unfair comparison ;-). You're using the "per-launch" number for the shuttle, but the capital cost for the Tesla. Each Tesla "launch" costs a few cents for electricity and a bit more for tires. Add depreciation, and I can launch in the Tesla for much less money than a carnival ride at the state fair.

Except the shuttle does that while fighting the full force of gravity, all while lugging around ~ 4.4 million pounds.
Point the car vertically, and assuming you can create a rig to keep it in contact with pavement, the car would only do 0.1 g acceleration. Or, point the shuttle horizontally, if you prefer. My money's on the shuttle. :wink:
"It's totally legitimate to make up terms like 'land horsepower' and 'air horsepower' and then just use the simplified 'horsepower' when comparing the two vehicles because if people confuse them it's because they didn't do their research properly and should only blame themselves."

Too soon?

"It's totally legitimate to make up terms like 'land horsepower' and 'air horsepower' and then just use the simplified 'horsepower' when comparing the two vehicles because if people confuse them it's because they didn't do their research properly and should only blame themselves."

Too soon?

I'd just really REALLY appreciate if one thread's angst didn't start showing up in other threads. :)