Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configure your Model 3 poll

What options do you want on your Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BriansTesla

Old school meets new tech
May 8, 2012
AI WA
Trying to get an idea which options would sell well on the Model 3. I didn't really want to get into specific details on the items so you can imagine what you like in the Tech package for example. Elon may have surprises there anyhow.

This will work best if you only select "Base Model with no options $35,000" if you are getting no options at all.

Feel free to comment about things that are too cheap, too expensive or missing.

Considering that the voters here are a subset of the first 100K Model 3 buyers, from the standpoint of desirability of options, what number of the first buyers do you think we most fairly represent? The first 5,000? 10,000? 50,000?

Last edited:
Wow, we've really gotten poll-crazy here the last few days. But I'm digging the increasingly detailed insight as to what each TMC'er wants in their 3.
Curious as to why you've chosen 260 miles as the top range option though, I'm really hoping there's going to be something offered in the 300 mile zone.

Wow, we've really gotten poll-crazy here the last few days. But I'm digging the increasingly detailed insight as to what each TMC'er wants in their 3.
Curious as to why you've chosen 260 miles as the top range option though, I'm really hoping there's going to be something offered in the 300 mile zone.

I too hope for a 300 mile option. The actual numbers in the poll while not exactly arbitrary are absolutely subject to change.

• I think the poll is underestimating the price of options. Here's how I see it:
  • Base Model with no options $35,000
  • Battery Pack-260 Miles: $6,500 (actual $10,000)
  • Dual Motor: $3,500 (actual $5,000)
  • Unlimited supercharging: $1,000 (actual $2000, or free with battery upgrade)
  • Performance package: $8,500 (actual $10,000, lubricous $5-8k more))
  • Air Suspension: $1,200 (actual $2000)
  • Paint options: $750 (actual $1000)
  • Leather interior: $1,000 (actual $1500)
  • Sunroof: $900 (actual $1500)
  • Tech Package: $1000 (?)
  • Autopilot: $1,500 (actual $2000-2500)
  • Sound System: $1,000 (actual $2000)
  • Subzero Package: $800 (actual $1000)
  • Cooled Seats: $500 (?)
  • TBA special sauce: $2,000 (?)

I was hoping that the base model might have 220 or even 240 miles. I'd probably pay the extra $6500 for 260 miles if the base model only has 200 miles.

Supercharging is the most important option IMO. I agree with DaveT that it will probably be more than $1000 for free unlimited charging. Maybe it's $1000 plus e.g. two dollars per minute of supercharge time, that would be OK.

I also ticked tech package (without knowing which features it includes, so maybe I don't really need it) and Autopilot (only $1500? I'm ready to pay more!) because I love tech. If the tech package is just automatic doors etc. I will skip it. I also want the subzero package, as long as it is <=$1000.

I couldn't care less about the other things like P, D, air suspension, paint, leather, sunroof, sound and special sauce. I need a car that minimizes travel time, I don't need a second living room. :)

• I think the poll is underestimating the price of options. Here's how I see it:
  • Base Model with no options $35,000
  • Battery Pack-260 Miles: $6,500 (actual $10,000)
  • Dual Motor: $3,500 (actual $5,000)
  • Unlimited supercharging: $1,000 (actual $2000, or free with battery upgrade)
  • Performance package: $8,500 (actual $10,000, lubricous $5-8k more))
  • Air Suspension: $1,200 (actual $2000)
  • Paint options: $750 (actual $1000)
  • Leather interior: $1,000 (actual $1500)
  • Sunroof: $900 (actual $1500)
  • Tech Package: $1000 (?)
  • Autopilot: $1,500 (actual $2000-2500)
  • Sound System: $1,000 (actual $2000)
  • Subzero Package: $800 (actual $1000)
  • Cooled Seats: $500 (?)
  • TBA special sauce: $2,000 (?)

Dave,

I agree. The average total price from the poll is $52,313 as of this time. With your suggested costs, assuming buyers want the options with the higher prices (not a safe assumption) the average Model 3 would cost $60,326.

The maxed out Model 3 would be $65,150 with the original pricing and $77,000 with your suggested prices. Still seems fairly cheap to me.

Last edited:
Dave,

I agree. The average total price from the poll is $52,313 as of this time. With your suggested costs, assuming buyers want the options with the higher prices (not a safe assumption) the average Model 3 would cost $60,326.

The maxed out Model 3 would be $65,150 with the original pricing and $77,000 with your suggested prices. Still seems fairly cheap to me.

For a split second there I thought Adam Jonas may have got his $60k predicted ASP from this post. Then I saw it was posted well after his note came out. Still a hilarious thought.

I did the poll before reading anything. I didn't want to be influenced by comments. So I checked the base model along with the options. Then I discovered the first post was the instructions. Maybe I'll re-rethink the order I do things...

Choosing the battery would be easier if I knew what the base range was. I also had the feeling I'd have to get the tech package in order to get autopilot. Maybe not. We'll probably want the cool things in the tech package anyway. And supercharging. You just have to have that :)

Please replace "leather" in the poll above with "Faux Leather" as that's actually in line with Tesla's reason for existing: reducing the environmental impact of ground transport. The ethical benefits are highly valuable as well; see links below.

Our parents lied to us, but we can learn and advance.

Thanks!

Details:

http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts

How Leather Is Slowly Killing the People and Places That Make It

Tanneries in Bangladesh Are Spewing Toxic Waste and Making Workers Sick | VICE News

Eat Like You Care - Eat Like You Care: An Examination of the Morality of Eating Animals

TSLA Pilot, seeing how Tesla prefers not to offer vegan premium seats for the Model S, and actively refused to implement a suggestion (or 2) for selling only vegan products at the last shareholder meeting, I think that the current poll is a nice prediction for Model 3 configuration options.

Don't get me wrong, I don't eat animals and I try not to buy leather. I just don't think Tesla is going to sell vegan premium seats for the Model 3.

2018 is a long way off (I expect that is when large volume production of Model 3 really gets rolling), but assuming that Tesla is able to deliver a base car at 35k, I am thinking that I would probably be comfortable with as much as 5k in options.

My requirements are this:
(1) At least 230-240 miles of range (equivalent to today's Model S 70 to 70D)
(2) Metallic paint
(3) Autopilot
(4) Subzero weather package: heated rear bench, heated wipers/washer, heated steering wheel
(5) Supercharging

Sticker (before sales tax and rebates/credits), this would cost roughly 76k in a Model S, or about 2x what I'm willing to spend on a car.

Stuff like pano roof, premium leather interior, air suspension, and premium sound don't matter a whole lot to me. AWD would be nice, but I've driven FWD for decades and never wished I had AWD. AWD can help get you going in snow, but it offers no advantage when trying to stop. Computerized stability control systems further erode the advantage of AWD.

TSLA Pilot, seeing how Tesla prefers not to offer vegan premium seats for the Model S, and actively refused to implement a suggestion (or 2) for selling only vegan products at the last shareholder meeting, I think that the current poll is a nice prediction for Model 3 configuration options.

Don't get me wrong, I don't eat animals and I try not to buy leather. I just don't think Tesla is going to sell vegan premium seats for the Model 3.

While this is true regarding Model S, Model X is a completely different story. The "Ultra White" interior of Model X uses synthetic leather. Tesla may not be advertising the vegan-ness of this interior, but I think it is clear that the company is listening to customer feedback.

(4) Subzero weather package: heated rear bench, heated wipers/washer, heated steering wheel

Stuff like pano roof, premium leather interior, air suspension, and premium sound don't matter a whole lot to me.

I don't know how much sub-zero package matters to you.. but I thought I would get it too until I saw Bjorn saying it's actually not that necessary as model S can be pre heated before actual departure time. I am pretty sure this will be the case for model 3 and not really sure if I would get it when the entire car can be pre-heated (probably using shore power).

Not trying to say it will be a waste of money, but something to think twice about :smile: