Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS blocked on low-cost AT&T plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt

Roadster Signature #55
May 13, 2013
Rockville, MD
Is it just me, or is everybody seeing gaps in OVMS app coverage?

I've noticed over the weekend periods of up to five hours where I don't see my data updating in the app, then it works fine for a few hours. I'm still able to reach the car via SMS during these periods.

Right now, my Roadster is parked in its usual spot, but the OVMS app hasn't seen an update in over two hours. I just got a "STAT" and a "GPS?" via SMS, and everything seems fine on my end.

Is it just me, or is everybody seeing gaps in OVMS app coverage?

I've noticed over the weekend periods of up to five hours where I don't see my data updating in the app, then it works fine for a few hours. I'm still able to reach the car via SMS during these periods.

Right now, my Roadster is parked in its usual spot, but the OVMS app hasn't seen an update in over two hours. I just got a "STAT" and a "GPS?" via SMS, and everything seems fine on my end.

Just checked mine (also parked in my usual spot). No connection via the app, but sms "stat" gives me correct data.

Mark,

Just ran a few SMS commands per your suggestion. I'm using an AT&T SIM card in the US:

GPRS:
APN:WAP.CINGULAR
User:
Password:
GSM:AT&T
GSM/GPRS: Not connected (0x0042)

DIAG:
RED Led:9
GRN Led:5
NET State:0x0042
12V Line:11.4 ref=12.9
Crashes:1
..last: TO - 54

Any ideas based on that info?

Best to email at support at openvehicles dot com

Very hard to support from here, as don't want to accidentally disclose private information.

From what you list, red:9 is tcp connect stage. The cellular model can't make a TCP/IP connection to the server. SERVER? will tell you where it is trying to connect to.

Regards, Mark.

Hmmmm...

Could it be that all of us having trouble connecting are on the AT&T $0.10/minute plan?

I have just noticed some troubling new wording on my account page:

Wi-Fi Data Only
for Smartphones
Pay Per Use rate of 1¢ / 5 KB
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]for Basic/Messaging Phones only
[/FONT]​

…and
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​
Data
As a smartphone user, your data is restricted to Wi-Fi data only.

Could it be that AT&T has decided our OVMS modules are smartphones, and are denying us connection to their data service?

If so, it might be time to switch to H2O (though I still have a balance of over $60 on the AT&T SIM).