Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 center shift / ac console illuminated orange when lights on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across an older pic on the web showing the center console with the ac controls illuminated, all of the writing/accessories were lit-up. Mine isn't and has never been, so I'm thinking possibly a blown bulb from the beginning. Checking to see if anyone's 1.5 center console control layout is illuminated when the lights are on, for example parking.

Like this?

IMG_2203.JPG

My 1.5 has never had the console lit up as shown in @supersnoop's photo. I had no idea! I've only been a Roadster owner for 14 months. Sounds like that light failure is a common issue.
Thank you! Huge visual help. I'll check that connection where the ribbon connects to the pins.
Exactly which "connection" in @MLAUTO's photos are you referring to? Thanks.

How does one remove the cover piece under the console?

The roughly horizontal piece with the LED embedded is not secured with any fasteners, it just tucks into the carbon fiber console. You can just pull it out along one side and then the other. I've done this to run my iPod extension cable inside on the way up to my iPhone holder. I think I started at the forward end when I removed it.

My million dollar question is : how do you remove the center console?
I have another thread where I recently lost the back light on my hvac panel in my 2.0 (which sits horizontally in the dashboard above the center console) . I am told it has similar lighting and I am hoping that the ribbon cable has become dislodged.
The only way I can imagine removing the hvac console is to remove the center console...
Does anyone know how to do this?