Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to determine latest car location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

I live in area where mobile signal is not always given. As other folks drive my car too, sometimes I would like to check the latest location or state of charge of the car.

I think the car actually maintains contact with Tesla servers while online. Would it be anyhow possible to access the location or state of charge how it was latest seen online?

Does the app really do that? Where it reports the last known location of the car, and the state of everything before the mobile signal dropped out?

For that to work the car would have to report it's position to Tesla's server as you were driving. I don't believe the car reports the position to Tesla's servers as your driving. This would be a pretty huge invasiveness of privacy if the Tesla Headquarters were tracking real time movements of all the Tesla's it could connect to.

If I needed to do that I would use something like visibletesla or some other third party app that would do that. Where the third party app would ping the Tesla's servers to check position/charge every X minutes or so.

My app does that. It pings the API on 30 min increments and stores SOC and location data. I never have to wake my car if I just want to know these variables. Called Tesla Mobile. You need a webserver as it is in PHP.

For that to work the car would have to report it's position to Tesla's server as you were driving. I don't believe the car reports the position to Tesla's servers as your driving. This would be a pretty huge invasiveness of privacy if the Tesla Headquarters were tracking real time movements of all the Tesla's it could connect to.

In fact that's exactly what it does. Just open up the mobile app to the map page and watch your car move in almost real time. The app is getting that info from the Tesla servers, not the car. There is no direct connection between the app and the car.

Does the app really do that? Where it reports the last known location of the car, and the state of everything before the mobile signal dropped out?

If I needed to do that I would use something like visibletesla or some other third party app that would do that. Where the third party app would ping the Tesla's servers to check position/charge every X minutes or so.

Indeed it does, every 250 msec the car updates Tesla. The apps (official or unofficial) connect to Tesla and gather that data.

In fact that's exactly what it does. Just open up the mobile app to the map page and watch your car move in almost real time. The app is getting that info from the Tesla servers, not the car. There is no direct connection between the app and the car.

Yep... and it also reports current speed and power draw. And you can also remotely honk the horn and slightly open the sunroof while somebody drives. It's pretty entertaining the first time that your SO borrows the car and it starts doing odd things on her. Yes, immature, but entertaining nonetheless!

If you're concerned about privacy, you can turn tracking off in the car via the touchscreen menus.

Guys,

I live in area where mobile signal is not always given. As other folks drive my car too, sometimes I would like to check the latest location or state of charge of the car.

I think the car actually maintains contact with Tesla servers while online. Would it be anyhow possible to access the location or state of charge how it was latest seen online?

Try VisibleTesla It tracks and logs everything for you.

Yep... and it also reports current speed and power draw. And you can also remotely honk the horn and slightly open the sunroof while somebody drives. It's pretty entertaining the first time that your SO borrows the car and it starts doing odd things on her. Yes, immature, but entertaining nonetheless!

If you're concerned about privacy, you can turn tracking off in the car via the touchscreen menus.

Just as a point of clarification - horn-honking and light flashing cannot be performed while the car is being driven. You can, however, close the sunroof and/or vent it while the car is in operation (my son found my wife's phone and decided to have fun playing with "dada's car").

Try VisibleTesla It tracks and logs everything for you.

Well but that should be running in the background and also I should be on my pc. I installed ios Remote Tesla app and it does track the vehicle, but it must run in the background and provides no SOC history. What I am looking for is really to get the latest location and SOC without having anything run in the background. Just on demand.

Well but that should be running in the background and also I should be on my pc. I installed ios Remote Tesla app and it does track the vehicle, but it must run in the background and provides no SOC history. What I am looking for is really to get the latest location and SOC without having anything run in the background. Just on demand.

Ok but this is a different ask from your OP. There you asked for "latest" which the apps can do but "history" is a different thing. BTW Remote S "breadcrumbs" feature may give you some history but I'm not 100% sure.

Ok but this is a different ask from your OP. There you asked for "latest" which the apps can do but "history" is a different thing. BTW Remote S "breadcrumbs" feature may give you some history but I'm not 100% sure.

"Latest" would be fine, but neither ios app will tell me that unless run in the background.
Concluding: unless I can place a PHP code on a server there's no way, huh?

Visible Tesla will do it. Yes, it needs to run in the background. Do you have an old desktop or notebook computer you can just set up and let it run VT? You could also set up a virtual machine "in the cloud" somewhere to run VT which you could then access from anywhere, and it wouldn't require a machine of your own (although there would be a monthly cost associated with that).

I'm not sure you are right that the iOS app has to always run in the background. GPS location defaults to "While using the app" and if you don't care about Calendar Sync you can turn off "Background App Refresh".

Visible Tesla will do it. Yes, it needs to run in the background. Do you have an old desktop or notebook computer you can just set up and let it run VT? You could also set up a virtual machine "in the cloud" somewhere to run VT which you could then access from anywhere, and it wouldn't require a machine of your own (although there would be a monthly cost associated with that).

Problem with VT is it requires a PC and the data cannot easily be retrieved from a web browser (Tesla browser, iPhone, etc). This is a major inconvenience to always have to access your home PC in order to retrieve info. That why I wrote my app, but yes unfortunately you do need a webserver and you must have some experience.