Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reconditioning Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was charging in Dedham and received warnings and charging stopped. I called roadside, and they indicated problems with the charging system and that the car would not charge - top priority problem. They Ubered me home.

After a couple of days of analysis, service told me the canopy on top of the battery was compromised, and water had gotten into the main battery. They replaced with a temporary, and stated my battery was being sent back to the factory for reconditioning.

Has anyone had such a problem and does anyone know what is involved with reconditioning. I have a 2012 85 with just under 40K miles and no other problems to date. I was charging to 225/6, and the temporary battery (presumed new), charges to 231/2, so not much depletion after three years. Still, concerned about impact of reconditioning. What is involved?

Were the contactors ever replaced in your battery pack (the "power switch" replacement)? My guess is that they were (since you mentioned 3 years), and that means the local service center may not have applied the seal correctly.

The temporary batteries are generally not new, they're loaner batteries carried at the service center. Some are new, some are not. The 90% charge on a new P85 battery is somewhere around 237/238.

After a couple of days of analysis, service told me the canopy on top of the battery was compromised, and water had gotten into the main battery. They replaced with a temporary, and stated my battery was being sent back to the factory for reconditioning.

I believe what you're trying to say is that your entire battery pack was unbolted from the car and shipped to fremont for repairs ("reconditioning"?). In the mean time, Tesla has provided you with a temporary, loaner pack until repairs are made on your pack. Very similar to the battery swap station out in CA.

Once your pack is repaired, it will be shipped back and replaced with the loaner.

I've heard of a few cases of this happening. Won't mention names, but it isn't unusual.

I had a problem with my battery not accepting a charge, they gave me a loaner battery, sent the original back to CA, repaired and replaced it.
This was over a year ago, I'm over 50k miles now, forget where I was then...

My car is also a 2012 with an "A" battery.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. FlasherZ, not sure about contactors being replaced, but suppose that is possible cause. What else would cause the seal to break? Good to know about the 237/238 - so after 3 years and 40K miles, about 5% depletion. Not too bad, but wish they'd accelerate a 450 battery.

Ed - did they end up attempting to repair and then replaced the battery? Glad to know i'm not alone. Funny that my incident occurred at Dedham while charging. They indicated 4 months for reconditioning. Still would like to know what's involved in reconditioning. Assuming they'll replace a number of cells - those that were compromised - but seems easier just to replace than go through that process - but i'm not the expert.

All-in-all, pleased with the way it was handled by Tesla service. Very good communications from Dedham service.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. FlasherZ, not sure about contactors being replaced, but suppose that is possible cause. What else would cause the seal to break? Good to know about the 237/238 - so after 3 years and 40K miles, about 5% depletion. Not too bad, but wish they'd accelerate a 450 battery.

Ed - did they end up attempting to repair and then replaced the battery? Glad to know i'm not alone. Funny that my incident occurred at Dedham while charging. They indicated 4 months for reconditioning. Still would like to know what's involved in reconditioning. Assuming they'll replace a number of cells - those that were compromised - but seems easier just to replace than go through that process - but i'm not the expert.

All-in-all, pleased with the way it was handled by Tesla service. Very good communications from Dedham service.

I my case they said they'd ship the battery to Queens, NY if possible or CA. The ended up sending it to CA and replacing one of
the modules. It did take a few months but I had a loaner battery during that time. Oddly it took me a few days to figure out that the
car wasn't charging (a few short L2 charging stops) but I was never stranded.

Again, I appreciate your reply Ed - very helpful. One more question - how did your battery perform after reconditioning? Also, what caused the charging problem - was it similar to my case - a breach in the canopy?? (OK, that was two questions)

Last edited:
Again, I appreciate your reply Ed - very helpful. One more question - how did your battery perform after reconditioning? Also, what caused the charging problem - was it similar to my case - a breach in the canopy?? (OK, that was two questions)

They just said one of the cells failed, I never got any more description than that.

I've had no further issues with the battery. The first year I owned the car I drove a ton (23k miles),
since my got the second Model S that has become the road trip car (more comfortable seats, B-battery, etc).