Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free nighttime electricity in Texas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Last edited:
ok, so I need this plan + a powerwall, because I work for a school and when I'm off and at home on the school holidays, it would cost a lot to run anything.....

Also, great...give an inch right? Come on....

“I never thought about it,” she said. In fact, she leaves lights on and even the television on when she leaves the room.
“I’m really wasteful now,” she said. “The first thing I tell my guests is my electricity is free after 9.”

Double also,

Someone in the comments section makes a good point - this plan in the Summer? The bill would be outrageous!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/09/business/energy-environment/a-texas-utility-offers-a-nighttime-special-free-electricity.html

It seems that there is a glut of electricity during the night in Texas due to all of the wind power they generate (and lack of grid connections to other states) so some utilities are offering free power from 9pm to 6am.
This could be the picture of things to come in other states with wind power.
Are we heading towards " too cheap to meter" electricity?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/09/business/energy-environment/a-texas-utility-offers-a-nighttime-special-free-electricity.html

It seems that there is a glut of electricity during the night in Texas due to all of the wind power they generate (and lack of grid connections to other states) so some utilities are offering free power from 9pm to 6am.
This could be the picture of things to come in other states with wind power.

Cool! Good example for nations all over the world. :cool:

Yes, really. With the soil in Texas basements aren't viable. They would be flooded with every rain.

I guess Texas is a big state. Reddy is from Amarillo.

Isn't there somewhere around Chicago that actually pays people around 1c/kwh used at night?

One of the strategies if you can handle it is to run your a/c hard all night long. I know my house can't raise much more than 10-12 degrees in a day. If I cool to 64 at night, I can pretty much skip a/c in the day (not Texas heat of course).

One of the strategies if you can handle it is to run your a/c hard all night long. I know my house can't raise much more than 10-12 degrees in a day. If I cool to 64 at night, I can pretty much skip a/c in the day (not Texas heat of course).

We've been doing this at our house in California for several years to take advantage of the off-peak rate between midnight and 7 AM (not free but used to be about 5 cents, now 10 cents). Cool the house down to 68 or 69 and then let it coast with the windows closed during the day until the inside and outside temperatures are equal. We only need A/C about 10 to 15 days per year, fortunately. On other hot days we can dump enough heat using the whole house fan to bring in cooler evening air. But to use the A/C this way we needed a "head pressure relief valve" to prevent liquid refrigerant from flowing back into the compressor when there was not enough heat to evaporate it in the inside coil. We burned out one compressor first.