Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Want Basic, Ludicrous Or Something In Between

Do you want your Model 3 to be:

• Basic $35K model as announced

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • Full-on max performance model

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Something nicely optioned in between

Votes: 66 56.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are obviously a lot of passionate discussions here about what the M3 should or shouldn't be and which versions Tesla should prioritize for production and why. And though there are already good threads asking about specific configurations and preferences, I'm very curious to see actual numbers on how many here are in the Basic-$35K-as-announced vs. Junior-ludicrous-mobile camp, or perhaps somewhere in between. Where do YOU stand?

Last edited:
Since we know literally nothing about the car my best guess is I will be doing my standard car fare with the Model 3 should I chose to get one. I'll most likely grab the second tier battery with dual motor for a nice range/performance mix, and more than likely go for whatever useful tech (if any) and sound system upgrade packages there are.

I would like a mostly base car, with just the most functional options. A bit less than Draighven. Bigger battery, dual motors, probably the tech package if it's not too outrageously priced. But the rest I can leave - performance level, ludicrous, upgraded sound system and seats, are mostly luxury upgrades that I don't really need.

I would like a bigger battery, AWD, winter package, and a sunroof. If autopilot and a good stereo doesn't require a second mortgage, I'd probably pop for those. I'm assuming navigation/tech package are in the base trim. I have zero interest in taking the car to the track, so any performance options will happily be left on the table. Cloth seats and stock wheels are fine.

Wow, so far 80% in mid-level to max-performance camp. From reading the other config preference threads I thought this would go more 50-50.
For the record I'm with strider, the idea that we may be able to get super car performance in a practical body at $60ishK or less is hugely appealing :smile:

I'm interested in an "affordable" bare-bones car. If the cost isn't too much I'd consider the bigger battery (but presume it will be part of a very expensive package), AWD, and winter package (but only if it includes a heated steering wheel, which ought to be standard on all EVs anyway). All the rest of the options — especially the performance stuff — are just expensive, unnecessary fluff to me.

Big battery, performance, AWD, all tech options, AP, and Ludicrous if it seems worth it. I don't feel the need to go lower than 3.0s 0-60. Would I pay $10K to go from 3.5s to 2.5s? No. $5K to go from 3.5s to 3.0s? Maybe if it also included better highway passing. $7K to go from 4.0s to 3.0s? Probably.

Note, I voted max performance, even though I might forgo the Ludicrous option if it even exists.

Big battery, performance, AWD, all tech options, AP, and Ludicrous if it seems worth it. I don't feel the need to go lower than 3.0s 0-60. Would I pay $10K to go from 3.5s to 2.5s? No. $5K to go from 3.5s to 3.0s? Maybe if it also included better highway passing. $7K to go from 4.0s to 3.0s? Probably.

Note, I voted max performance, even though I might forgo the Ludicrous option if it even exists.
That's perfectly cool, since we really don't know what the max performance option will be called or cost this poll was more to get a feel as to which way folks here were leaning, basic transportation or something more speed oriented. To me anyone wanting a sub 4 second 0-60 capability is a "max performance" customer.

Since I'm stuck in the 35k price range, the base is all I can get, but it's really all I need. Would it be nice to have all the bells and whistles in the car, sure, but I'm looking at the battery chemistry and software design as the basics compared to the LEAF 2 and Bolt.

I think I want the upgraded battery and dual motor for max range, plus some options..but it will all depend on the exchange rate and the actual pricing of the options by the time the model 3 is available. I dont know how many times a year Tesla ups the prices on options and by how much each time, but it seems like they go up by quite a bit and more often than I would like :frown: