Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silent Ride: Just installed studless snow tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2013 P85's only road noise is the sound of the Continental tires on their 21" wheels. (Well, there's some wind noise, particularly above 70.)

We ordered studless snow tires from TireRack on 19" Rial wheels. We got them last week and I put them on this weekend. They are so quiet. At 55 mph on new asphalt, the car has barely any interior noise at all, and even on older asphalt, I'd say the snow tires are half the sound of the Contis.

We got Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds. I've had these tires on previous cars and have never had any problems with traction. The tires are at 45 psi.

I'm doing a 300+ mile round trip on Monday over the Cascades with a potential for snow. I'll be interested to see how they perform!

That's fantastic! I got 2 studded Hakka's and they are a noisy handling penalty. I'm thinking the Smart ED is too heavy for the tires/wheel size.

Are you feeling a lot less landlocked in Bend, or are you still a little Supercharger deficient?

Did you get the Chademo adapter, or would you consider it?

I have a cousin in SF with a place in Bend, wondering if I should start proselytizing. I don't think she's an early adopter, so there can't be gaps.

Last edited:
Since I live in Bend, I don't really need a Supercharger here, but for people coming here, its a concern. There are a number of places here that have destination chargers (80 amp Tesla Wall Chargers, etc), so I think it works out. I'm an architect, and one of my commercial projects is a candidate to host a Supercharger. I know Tesla has said they want a Supercharger in Bend as soon as they can get it, but I'm not sure what the exact timing will be.

From Bend there are exactly 4 ways to leave the area: North, South, East and West. There are Superchargers in every direction except East, but considering there's not a whole lot when you head East, that's probably ok.

My parents live in the Bay Area and its no problem to get there from here. A friend of mine has an 85D and regularly drives to San Diego.

I do have a Chademo adapter. The West Coast Electric Highway is an AeroVironment network of charging stations mostly in Oregon and Washington that is much denser than the Supercharger network. West Coast Green Highway: West Coast Electric Highway

Each station consists of an J1772 charger and a Chademo charger. The network is designed to accommodate the Nissan Leaf, but with the Chademo adapter, it really expands the options for the Model S. The week after we got our car, we drove out to the Oregon coast. 1500 mile road trip and I used a grand total of 2 superchargers (I-5) and 4 Chademo chargers, the rest was overnight charging. Even though most of the stations are just a single J1772 and a single Chademo, I never had to wait for a charge, even during the 4th of July holiday.

Our 2013 P85's only road noise is the sound of the Continental tires on their 21" wheels. (Well, there's some wind noise, particularly above 70.)

We ordered studless snow tires from TireRack on 19" Rial wheels. We got them last week and I put them on this weekend. They are so quiet. At 55 mph on new asphalt, the car has barely any interior noise at all, and even on older asphalt, I'd say the snow tires are half the sound of the Contis.

We got Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds. I've had these tires on previous cars and have never had any problems with traction. The tires are at 45 psi.

I'm doing a 300+ mile round trip on Monday over the Cascades with a potential for snow. I'll be interested to see how they perform!

What temperature was it when you driving? Winter tires are made to stay softer at lower temperatures, so if it was relatively warm they would be even softer, which likely accounts for your quiet ride. But they really wear fast when driven in warm weather.

Trip report: 300 miles down. Temps ranged from 48 down to 30. Weather was sunny, cloudy, rainy and snowy, and then back through to sunny again. Roads were dry, then wet, then snowy with patches of ice and back to dry. The road conditions were really not challenging, the car handled it all fine. Really, the best winter prep I enjoyed on this trip was a freshly RainX'd windshield/pano roof/back hatch glass. Didn't need the wipers at all.

Road noise was very minimal unless the surface was pretty rough. Even driving over a grate bridge deck (between Hood River, OR and White Salmon, WA), the road noise was minimal. (Saw a silver Model S heading south on that bridge.)

Handling was fine. Cornering felt confident as usual. On strong acceleration, I could feel a bit more rear end waggle than with the 21'ers, but other than that, they felt fine.

Consumption for the roundtrip was 321 Wh/m. I ended up paying the $7.50 for the Chademo charger in Hood River rather than driving out to the Supercharger in The Dalles. The Chademo is in downtown Hood River with a bunch of great places to eat all over (we ate at Full Sail Brewery, right across the street), whereas the Supercharger in The Dalles is at a country style steakhouse surrounded by car dealerships and shady motels on the outskirts of town.