Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

June 2016: around the world in 80 days - with 100% electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear electrified community,

in 2016 international teams representing their nations will try to break my world record I did 2012 driving around the world with a Tesla Roadster.
10 teams are already registered and will meet in Tilburg at Tesla premises: Tesla Motors Factory II in Tilburg to give a press and sponsor conference from 10-13h.
We will do a mini 80edays challenge for the ones who want to participate and starting from 17h we will have a presentation of all 80edays teams at a location in Tilburg which will be booked depending on the amount of people who want to come.
Please register at 80 electrifying days - 2016 around the world challenge with electric vehicles - Events to register your coming.
Would be great if some of you could organize a rally to come there from all parts of Europe. Even Tesla does not think that there will be a lot people coming and restricted the press conference to 60 people. So please show that this project is the most important one to show to the world that electric cars can do long distance trips without any issue!
I want to book a bigger room ;)

Looking forward meeting you and a lot of press you are welcome to activate to join this event.
Your
Rafael de Mestre
80 electrifying days - 2016 around the world challenge with electric vehicles - Home - for our children

Dear EV fans, we need help from you to cross US. 80edays plans to cross US in 25.6.-7.7.2016 with 12 teams but EU Model S have no charge ability to use Superchargers in US. They can use three phase or ChaDeMo. Roadsters are pretty good equipped with the ability to charge on single phase with high amperage at RV parks. The electric bus has a big problem, with his 140kW of batteries he would charge 20h on 7kW so he needs 32 three phase or better 64A three phase to be able to come with us. It's range is 215 miles on a sigle charge. It would be awsome if the Tesla community would help the bus to get three phase on the route from Halifax to San Fancisco and LA. Proposals are very welcome. You're also welcome contacting me under [email protected] if you like.
Looking forward to getting route and charge proposals from you :)

Dear EV fans, we need help from you to cross US. 80edays plans to cross US in 25.6.-7.7.2016 with 12 teams but EU Model S have no charge ability to use Superchargers in US. They can use three phase or ChaDeMo. Roadsters are pretty good equipped with the ability to charge on single phase with high amperage at RV parks. The electric bus has a big problem, with his 140kW of batteries he would charge 20h on 7kW so he needs 32 three phase or better 64A three phase to be able to come with us. It's range is 215 miles on a sigle charge. It would be awsome if the Tesla community would help the bus to get three phase on the route from Halifax to San Fancisco and LA. Proposals are very welcome. You're also welcome contacting me under [email protected] if you like.
Looking forward to getting route and charge proposals from you :)
Rafael,

It looks like Clipper Creek posted a tweet a week or so ago:

ClipperCreek, Inc. on Twitter

That uses 3 phase commercial charging for Trucks

(provided link in a thread here - http://www.environmentalleader.com/2013/07/02/clippercreek-debuts-highest-power-ev-charging-station/)

Clipper Creek might have contacts for you guys to use.

Just today I went in to the Tesla dealer and asked a salesperson's view on my thoughts of using a model X to use for my trip round the world (in a lot more than 80 days and with a family of 5). He shot it down immediately, showing high density chargingstations in East-Asia and Europe and nothing for 3000miles in between... He continued telling me I wouldn't be able to charge in the USA, which baffled me... But Tron also mentiones this above. I have yet to learn a lot about differences/options in charging 1 phase, 3 phase, 16A, 32A, 64A, Eu vs USA, etc...

BTW: I am just an enthousiast and am in no position to be able to afford a Model X. Just testing the waters if it would, in theory, be possible at all.

Just today I went in to the Tesla dealer and asked a salesperson's view on my thoughts of using a model X to use for my trip round the world (in a lot more than 80 days and with a family of 5). He shot it down immediately, showing high density chargingstations in East-Asia and Europe and nothing for 3000miles in between... He continued telling me I wouldn't be able to charge in the USA, which baffled me... But Tron also mentiones this above. I have yet to learn a lot about differences/options in charging 1 phase, 3 phase, 16A, 32A, 64A, Eu vs USA, etc...

BTW: I am just an enthousiast and am in no position to be able to afford a Model X. Just testing the waters if it would, in theory, be possible at all.

Well, seeing that the 80days teams are more than halfway around their trip passing through parts of Europe/North America/China. I think that the Tesla employee is not entirely aware of the adapters needed to complete this plan.

The only chance this is even remotely relevant is if Tesla want to sponsor me for half the car ;)

But I will have a look at what route the '80-days' crews are traveling. And not to speak ill of sales persons, but they are often not the most technically aware. Even the tech guys at Toyota need some delicate advice on where they are wrong once in a while about my Prius...
The map he showed me was a Goolge world map with all Tesla charging stations, and when zooming out, there were a lot of stations in Europe and South East Asia. And very little in between.

I considered* solarpanels on a trailer, but even with the 5kW of solarpanels I own (32m^2 iirc with some intricate foldingmechanism to fit it shockproof into the trailer), a stop during the middle of the day while we are off to visit Temples, and the firm believe that people are good and will not steal the panels, trailer and the Tesla, this would still not be a feasible option.

*considered means it went through my head for a few seconds, doing some quick calculations. Not çonsidered'as in I made plans for the foldingmechanism, looked into the extra drag and the effects on the 'fuelefficiency'of the Tesla, etc.

cross US. 80edays plans to cross US in 25.6.-7.7.201
I have no technical expertise to offer here, but wanted to say that I wasn't even aware that this event was happening right now! I went to the event website at 80edays | 80eday Accelerating EVolution and found it a bit hard to understand. The "Live" map on that web page appears to show the vehicles are currently in Khazakstan, but that doesn't fit with the stated schedule showing the vehicles are in the US right now. So where are they?

If this event is in fact actually happening right now, it doesn't appear to be getting the media exposure it deserves, and there is very little chatter on TMC about it.

To new TMC member @r-p: I respectfully suggest that you start a new thread about your interest in doing an around the world trip so that this thread does not get diverted by your discussion and stays focused on the event that @TRON is posting about in this thread. Thank you.

I have no technical expertise to offer here, but wanted to say that I wasn't even aware that this event was happening right now! I went to the event website at 80edays | 80eday Accelerating EVolution and found it a bit hard to understand. The "Live" map on that web page appears to show the vehicles are currently in Khazakstan, but that doesn't fit with the stated schedule showing the vehicles are in the US right now. So where are they?

If this event is in fact actually happening right now, it doesn't appear to be getting the media exposure it deserves, and there is very little chatter on TMC about it.

To new TMC member @r-p: I respectfully suggest that you start a new thread about your interest in doing an around the world trip so that this thread does not get diverted by your discussion and stays focused on the event that @TRON is posting about in this thread. Thank you.

Russia now... At least for Team Italia... Twitter is the most accurate way to track them.

Sorry for not following the thread during the drive ... organizing 80edays took all of my hours of the day.

Resumé: You can charge Teslas also in Kazakhstan.
US and EU versions went around the world and we arrived all like planned after 80 days in Barcelona on 4.9.2016.

One special comment: You CAN charge EU Model S on US Superchargers, the only thing you need is a special adaptor which is following Tesla and others impossible to make ... but one of our teams built one and Supercharged with his EU Model S along the US Supercharger network.

And in case you want to join, this is not the end of 80edays it's just the beginning ... 2020 we will start the next edition of "around the world in 80 days" but then including CO² free transport over seas which will lead to the challenge to make 25.000 km in 20 days. Let's hope to get the 1000 km range battery till then ;)

We need again one or more teams from US representing the most important nation of the world, so what you'll need is:
- One electric car
- Two drivers
- about 25 days time in summer 2020 (your car will be additional 55 days on a sailing ship)
- about 75.000$ to cover the costs for the car transport, you and your co-driver

Check out www.80edays.com and stay tuned ;)