Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No used 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people are telling me to wait and not get a used P85 plus and wait for a used, standard 85D because it should be the same price. I want autopilot especially if I'm paying $85k ballpark. The two models have the same speed and I'm guessing AWD will be better than the plus.

I went to the Ev-cpo website and noticed a few used P85D but no 85D. Why is that? People don't want to give up their 85D?

Some people are telling me to wait and not get a used P85 plus and wait for a used, standard 85D because it should be the same price. I want autopilot especially if I'm paying $85k ballpark. The two models have the same speed and I'm guessing AWD will be better than the plus.

I went to the Ev-cpo website and noticed a few used P85D but no 85D. Why is that? People don't want to give up their 85D?

Call your local Tesla store and ask them about Demo/Loaner cars that are available. They should have plenty of 85D's available at reasonable discounts. Any store can search the entire country for them. Good thing about Demo cars is they are sold as new, so you get all the benefits of buying a new car (tax credits, full warranty, etc.) and a discount off the sale price.

I think it would be unusual for people to trade in a car that's at most one year old such as the 85D. The P85D is a different matter, as it attracted a group of car guys who wanted the latest hot performance car rather than buying it because it's an EV, and now may have tired of it and moved on to whatever the next hot performance car is.

There was a D model on the bay area CPO site for a few days but gone now. I expect any D model will not last long. You should be able to find a private party sale for a 85D at that price point.

Different demographics

The P85D customer is way more likely to be trading things in quickly, and less likely to buy used.
The 85D is arguably the best valued (in performance/range) of the models, and more sought out by those looking for a value. A used CPO 85D is certainly a good value, and not something I would argue against.

A demo/loaner probably ranks up pretty high in terms of value/money, but you might have to wait for the money since part of the $$'s is the $7500 federal tax rebate thing.

I think most of the folks who bought the 85D weighed the pros and cons of the P models and decided that balanced power was better and in an EV range is king. To go from 85D to P85D you will spend an extra $20,000 AND more importantly give up range and balance.
The D cars are a more balanced platform because the front and rear motors weigh the same and are rated at the same power.
Its a lot like the old 427 cobra vs the 289 cobra. The small block cars were not as fast in a straight line but were far better handling.

Last edited:
I think most of the folks who bought the 85D weighed the pros and cons of the P models and decided that balanced power was better and in an EV range is king. To go from 85D to P85D you will spend an extra $10,000, AND more importantly give up range and balance.
The D cars are a more balanced platform because the front and rear motors weigh the same and are rated at the same power.
Its a lot like the old 427 cobra vs the 289 cobra. The small block cars were not as fast in a straight line but were far better handling.

I think the 85 D starts at $85,000 and a P85D starts at $105,000. So it is a $20,000 difference new not $10,000. Quite a savings to get the 85 D rather then the P85D.

I was in the same boat and by chance was able to get a CPO 85D and for just a few thousand more than a mid-priced p85. For reference, the 2015 85D was six months old with 2,400 miles and original MSRP was $102k. I highly recommend holding off for an 85D if you can (based on my spending a few hours driving a couple of p85s'). My advice... work closely with a sales advisor, daily if that is what it takes as they can see fresh CPO inventory before the public.

I think it would be unusual for people to trade in a car that's at most one year old such as the 85D. The P85D is a different matter, as it attracted a group of car guys who wanted the latest hot performance car rather than buying it because it's an EV, and now may have tired of it and moved on to whatever the next hot performance car is.

Totally agree with that.

Why not wait for an 90D?

Range is king. I got my 85D the first week it rolled off the line, directly from Fremont. I haven't even hit the 9-month mark yet and I can't see any reason to trade in since we already have:

- all autopilot features
- all currently available options
- the 90kWh battery ... this I would have gotten if it were available at the time for a 90D, but at +16 RM, it's more of a luxury than a mission critical feature due to SC spacing.

It's true, our demographic is different than the P owners because 0-60 performance in the 4 second range is perfectly satisfactory. I get that a P90DL is awesome for showing off ... and don't get me wrong, I'm not a a modest, monastery-trained monk who eschews ego. It's just I that I'd rather have all eyes on me instead of my car. :)

Kidding.

- K

I haven't heard of this site before. Price is decent.

Just click the big "Classifieds" third from left tab at the top of this forum, it'll get you there.

Until recently I was hoping to get a CPO D model, but the drive unit issues made me think
third party to get the longer warranty.

The inventory cars always seem loaded to the hilt, the pano roof is pretty but I prefer to have
some metal and insulation between my noggin and a boulder, and the air suspension leads to
bumper trauma and scrapes, in addition to failures. I cannot find a car without air suspension.

I am holding off to see an aluminium dual motor Model 3, if they RWD sheetmetal it I will get
a used 85-90D.

It is interesting that the CPO site hasn't had (at least that I've ever seen) ANY D / AP models yet....but they did just add those to the drop-down list as if they will be adding some soon??

They've had them. Since they are in such high demand, they sell within hours of being listed. There was a red 85D that was listed for a week or so. It didn't have a huge discount but would've been a good deal for a Colorado buyer since even used Teslas can be eligible for $6000 in additional tax credits.

D's pop up on the CPO site and are gone fast. There is also one or two on Autotrader. I'd get a 85D but I like the red calipers and spoiler and like the option to get more power so I am patiently waiting for a P85D....the + suspension is the P85D is king.