Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dutch Model S driver uses Autopilot while on the back seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised that Tesla didn't put in a safety feature that autopilot won't engage or will turn off if the seat pressure indicator is not engaged.

Unfortunately this is the law of large numbers. If you get a big enough group you will invariably wind up with a certain number of mind-blowingly stupid people in the group. And so the rest of us lose out as manufacturers try to protect these jacka$$es$ from themselves.

It would be good to get this clown behind bars for reckless endangerment.

Surprised that Tesla didn't put in a safety feature that autopilot won't engage or will turn off if the seat pressure indicator is not engaged.

Indeed, that's what I thought as well.

It could say: "No person detected, shutting down in 30 seconds"

Unfortunately this is the law of large numbers. If you get a big enough group you will invariably wind up with a certain number of mind-blowingly stupid people in the group. And so the rest of us lose out as manufacturers try to protect these jacka$$es$ from themselves.

It would be good to get this clown behind bars for reckless endangerment.
Yes, this video clearly shows he's not very smart. Better to have that guy off the public roads.

Occupant seat sensor and seat belt connected is needed IMO, but at least this person has a passenger (you can see the jeans at 0:10).

TACC has this, why it is not the same for AP currently is a mystery to me.

Occupant seat sensor and seat belt connected is needed IMO, but at least this person has a passenger (you can see the jeans at 0:10).

Couldn't someone place a heavy weight on the seat and buckle in the seat belt? I do not have a Tesla to know if it's possible.

You can expect this (Elon Musk) we are human.
If don't care if an individual take a (big) risk to kill him/her and passenger... I'm more worried when a dictator or president of a country take a (very) big risk with the people...

Dear Nimrod,

Pursuant to the Tesla firmware license agreement, Tesla has elected to no longer support your autopilot convenience functions. We have therefore deployed a firmware update that has permanently disabled autopilot convenience functions in your specific vehicle. Autopilot safety features will continue to function normally.

Please find enclosed a refund check in the amount of $2500 USD.

Sincerely,

Tesla Motors

+1

It appears from the alarm beeping and flashing that the passenger doesn't have his/her seatbelt fastened, perhaps to be able to jump over and grab control if there's a problem? That's very safe, I'm reassured. /s

Dear Nimrod,

Pursuant to the Tesla firmware license agreement, Tesla has elected to no longer support your autopilot convenience functions. We have therefore deployed a firmware update that has permanently disabled autopilot convenience functions in your specific vehicle. Autopilot safety features will continue to function normally.

Please find enclosed a refund check in the amount of $2500 USD.

Sincerely,

Tesla Motors

+1
But I would take out the refund check.

I'm surprised by what I feel is an over-site for the Auto Steer, in that it doesn't require the seat to be occupied and or seat belt to be on.

Especially considering how you can't even engage regular old fashioned cruise control when the traction control is turned off..

I'm sure this basic requirement is coming in 7.1x

Wow. I had no issue with wk057's original driverless autopilot video because he did it on a private road and if he messed up his car or hurt himself, that was on him. The guy in this video is endangering the lives of others by pulling this stunt. Someone could have been killed and in a collision between a Model S and some other car, more likely the person getting hurt is in the other car. Whoever made the video should be ashamed of themselves.