Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single vs. Dual Charger Poll for Your Future Model X

For your Future Model X, do you REALLY need 72A or can you get by with 48A charging?

• 72A is necessary.

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • 48A is just fine.

Votes: 26 41.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
Thought we'd take an informal survey of the TMC group here to get everyone's true feelings on the 48A vs. 72A Charger debate. Please indicate whether you would truly need (and I mean real world need, not first world want) 72A charging versus 48A.

Necessary is a strong word. I suggest these three options might be more impactful.

1. 48A is sufficient for my needs. Even if Tesla offered 72A I would not purchase it.

2. 48A is sufficient for most of my needs, but there are times when 72A would be desirable. I'll buy an X with 48A and hope that Tesla offers a 72A option upgrade in the future.

3. I use >48A charging frequently and will delay my purchase until either Tesla offers a 72A option or commits to providing an upgrade, either as a retrofit or an accessory in the future.

I wonder what happened to 80A charging? It appears that in dual charger mode the Model X has less capacity than in the Model S. Not that it matters for overnight charging.

I have dual chargers in my Model S, and on occasion I have found them to be VERY useful, such as when charging at a Tesla store or service center. That second charger has saved me many hours of sitting around. At home, I charge at 40A, which is more than fast enough for me.

Last edited:
Necessary is a strong word. I suggest these three options might be more impactful.

1. 48A is sufficient for my needs. Even if Tesla offered 72A I would not purchase it.

2. 48A is sufficient for most of my needs, but there are times when 72A would be desirable. I'll buy an X with 48A and hope that Tesla offers a 72A option upgrade in the future.

3. I use >48A charging frequently and will delay my purchase until either Tesla offers a 72A option or commits to providing an upgrade, either as a retrofit or an accessory in the future.
I chose the 72amp is necessary but #2 is above is definitely more in line with actual feelings at this point.

My only reasons are for destination charging and for "off the Supercharger grid" travels in areas where there are >40amp chargers like the Sun Country highway in Canada and their expansion here in the PNW.

I can also see possibly needing them for quick turn arounds at home with a HPWC.

72A is necessary for me as the X will be my only vehicle and and I don't live in a SC/destination charger dense area (e.g. California). I'd hate to be stranded between SCs waiting a long time for enough power to get somewhere safe.

I will delay or cancel my reservation if there are no plans to offer more than 48A. I still want a Tesla but it might be a Model S now or a different model in the future. I am in no rush.

Hi Ethan,

I don’t have a Model X on order so I didn’t respond to your survey. However, I do want to discuss this general issue, particularly as it pertains to the Tesla Destination Charging Program. As you know our club is a big supporter of the Destination Charging Program, but I have become concerned by some continuing developments that I view as undermining its effectiveness. It started several months ago when Tesla changed their policy for ordering Model Ss to eliminate the factory option for dual chargers. Here’s an excerpt of a posting that does a good job of describing the problem.

[…] Tesla is compounding the confusion by marketing a destination charging program using HPWCs that can deliver 80A while selling cars that can only accept 40A unless the owner makes an effort to have dual chargers installed. It used to be the effort was just checking a box on the order page, now most mainstream buyers wouldn't even know the dual charging option exists and they won't get it installed at the service center if they aren't aware of it. Then they find a 80A HPWC at a destination and wonder why they only get 40A.[…]

This reported move by Tesla to deliver future Model Xs with only an option of 48 amp charging capacity further exacerbates the problem and also undermines the value of the Destination Charging Program. It is true for the most part that charging at home 48 amps will be fine. However, as Tesla production ramps up at destinations we will be increasingly running into situations where there are multiple Teslas competing for a limited number of destination HPWCs.

Fortunately, many of the luxury hotels and resorts that have installed HPWCs have also included the HPWCs as part of their valet operations. A case in point was at our club event at the Epicurean Hotel. The Epicurean has two HPWCs, but we had over a dozen Model Ss staying overnight and most of them came from across the state so they absolutely needed a charge. The Epicurean trained their valet staff to handle the charging and they swapped cars in and out of the HPWCs. Having high capacity charging greatly facilitates this type of process.

In the future when destination charging congestion is more frequent the usefulness of dual on-board chargers will become even more obvious particularly in public locations where there isn't a trained valet available to swap cars in and out.

In summary, I find these two moves by Tesla to eliminate the option of higher capacity on-board chargers as steps in the wrong direction and rather troubling. Down the road it will devalue the usefulness of the Destination Charging Program that Tesla has so aptly pursued to date.

Larry

Well said Larry. It's rare that the next version of a company's product removes functionality that existed in the previous version. I have to admit, I was pretty excited about a 72A charger being standard when the details first leaked. I suspect we don't have the 30,000 foot view that whoever made the decision inside Tesla had. As a result, we have no way of understanding why they moved from a 72A charger to a 48A.

I suspect we don't have the 30,000 foot view that whoever made the decision inside Tesla had. As a result, we have no way of understanding why they moved from a 72A charger to a 48A.
Whatever the reason, I think we would all agree that the marketing-speak, insulting our intelligence explanation given in Tesla's email to Model X reservation holders was not the reason.

Well said Larry. It's rare that the next version of a company's product removes functionality that existed in the previous version. I have to admit, I was pretty excited about a 72A charger being standard when the details first leaked. I suspect we don't have the 30,000 foot view that whoever made the decision inside Tesla had. As a result, we have no way of understanding why they moved from a 72A charger to a 48A.

Hi Ethan,

Regarding the removal of the dual charger factory option for Model Ss, I have discussed this with Tesla management and I do have a bit of a feel for their reasoning. I am not comfortable discussing it in public. Suffice it to say I politely told them that their reasoning was flawed.

I do not have insights into why they apparently moved to a 48 amp charger for the Model X, but my guess is that it had more to do with start-up production and supplier issues. We can only hope that after production issues get ironed out that Tesla will reexamine this situation and correct it both for the Model S and X.

Larry

Hey folks, assuming the ship has sailed on this one (everyone has sent a polite email to Tesla expressing their disappointment in a single 48A charger, right?), here's another poll that asks if you would pay $2,000 to upgrade your 48A charger to something better if Tesla were to come out with such a retrofit. I've used this third party polling site so that I can also post this question over on the Tesla company forums.

Poll - EasyPolls.net