Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapping / De-Chroming Side Mirrors - Advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am thinking about wrapping my soon-to-be-arriving Model S. The paint is solid black and I would like to fully wrap it with some kind of grey, incl. door handles. One of the options is also to de-chrome the pieces on the side incl. the mirrors.
When I was talking to a wrapping company (they have already done quite a few Model S and generally made a good impression to me) they mentioned that there would be (visible) seems when I wanted to de-chrome / wrap the side mirrors.
They said it would not be visible from normal distance, but if you go up close, the seems could be seen.

• How do your wrapped side mirrors look like?
  • Any seems and if yes, where are they and does it disturb the look?
  • If they're not visible, how did you do it?

Btw, I am aware that dipping would be an alternative, but here in Europe, dipping doesn't seem to be as popular/known as in the US. Therefore, I would prefer a nice "wrap-only" method that can by my wrapping shop.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,
El Duderino

El Duderino - Excellent choice of color, black with grey accent. it doesn't look too sinister with grey accent.

Mine was wrapped and there are some spots that my installer didn't want to wrap because there's too much traffic area.
Ex: when the car is parked, the mirrors folds. also our door handles. after we close our door, the handles goes in.

So the parts where there's traffic areas, my installer didn't want to wrap because there might be chance of getting damage in the future. My handles are only wrapped on the side but not the inside section because that's the part that goes in. I've seen some people do it and it looks great. Below is a pic of my car parked. As you can see, when the mirrors are folded, you can see the unwrapped chrome section.

There are advantage of doing the plasti dip as well. You can just remove it anytime and it's an easy DIY. I got mines done because I'm not the DIY guy and didn't want to overspray on other areas.

Good luck and congrats on your new baby.

Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 2.01.14 PM.jpg

steph80 - that's a sweet DIY.

Dipping can be done yourself if the shop can't do it. The result looks much better around the mirror area, which are difficult to wrap. Check out this video:
Tesla Model S Black Out Window Trim with Plasti Dip - YouTube

Hey sickfox, your car looks really... well, sick! :)
Very nicely done!

How did you do the lower body part on the side (the one that's normally unpainted)? Did you wrap or paint it?
And if you wrapped it, no probs with the wrap? Because I remember having heard that the wrap needs a very smooth surface to stick and these parts are pretty rough.

Thank you for the kind words. I had the lower panels painted. I also had the same concern that the pieces were not smooth and whichever I pick will not hold. But the person who I spoke with said that the paint would hold better on harsh environments than if i get them wrapped.

See post #41 to view the before and after pics.

Looking forward to seeing your baby's pics.

Hey sickfox, your car looks really... well, sick! :)
Very nicely done!

How did you do the lower body part on the side (the one that's normally unpainted)? Did you wrap or paint it?
And if you wrapped it, no probs with the wrap? Because I remember having heard that the wrap needs a very smooth surface to stick and these parts are pretty rough.

My handles are wrap in matte pearl white vinyl (or something like that, i forget). It's 2% off the body paint color. But since my windows were de-chromed, i can get away with it. When you get your baby and de-chrome it, it will look very nice! Congrats and post pictures.

Is your door handles wrapped in body color? Hard to tell from the picture. My solid white is arriving very soon and I wanted to de-chrome it.