Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Motors General Annual Meeting

Tesla Motors General Annual Meeting

Was somebody at the annual meeting. Something news?
    Roadster EU#421 156.000km MS Sig P85+ 68.000km

Nobody?

Tesla's 1st annual meeting: low-key, high return

Some choice figures:

Musk described how the company had grown since last June, from 650 employees at the time of the initial public offering to more than 1,100 now. Tesla has sold more than 1,650 of its first car, the $109,000 Roadster, up from 1,063 last June.
    The company also has taken 4,600 reservations for the $57,400-$77,400 Model S sedan, which will be built in Fremont and will hit the market in mid-2012. The company plans to make 5,000 of the sedans next year, increasing to 20,000 in 2013.
    Musk said Tesla may unveil a prototype of the Model X this December and plans to start production by the end of 2013.

Thanks! And these two bits may be interesting for some here:

Musk said the company planned to offer another, more affordable car some time in the next four or five years, targeting the $30,000 price range. Tesla may also introduce a new version of its Roadster after the Model S launch, possibly in three years.

"Right now I think we've got to focus on the Model S," he said.
    Last edited by Norbert; 2011-06-01 at 10:41 PM.

Tesla Motors tweeted this link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...110609983/1179

The part about the $50 million Schuler SMG hydraulic stamping press was interesting to read...the eight month installation is completed.

EDIT: The above article is now behind a pay wall. This one seems to be more or less identical: Tesla: Factory on track for 2012 Model S launch - AutoWeek

Apparently the same text has appeared in a number of online sites.

At the hour-long meeting on Wednesday in San Jose, Calif., Musk detailed Tesla's progress with the former NUMMI plant. The latest milestone: completing an eight-month installation of a $50 million Schuler SMG hydraulic stamping press that Tesla acquired from "a company in Detroit" for $6 million, including the cost of shipping the tooling with 70 trucks. Musk called it "the largest hydraulic stamping press in North America."
    Regarding charging stations, Musk said that Tesla vehicles' extended range means that the company could cover cross-country drives with 13 charging stations. He said eight to 10 stations on each seaboard could cover the U.S. coasts. At an expected investment of about $25,000 per station, "for a couple million dollars you have covered the country," Musk said
    Last edited by Norbert; 2011-06-02 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post

Regarding charging stations, Musk said that Tesla vehicles' extended range means that the company could cover cross-country drives with 13 charging stations. He said eight to 10 stations on each seaboard could cover the U.S. coasts. At an expected investment of about $25,000 per station, "for a couple million dollars you have covered the country," Musk said

That's an interesting line of thought... I wonder if Tesla are going to get into the infrastructure business?

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I think Tesla should focus on fast chargers between major cities only. The other companies seem to want to place all their chargers in cities which doesn't help at all for travel. Placing chargers every 100 miles would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    I think Tesla should focus on fast chargers between major cities only. The other companies seem to want to place all their chargers in cities which doesn't help at all for travel. Placing chargers every 100 miles would be ideal.
    Yes, and what else goes there besides the charging equipment? If you are stuck for a while waiting for a charge, hopefully there is something else to do. At roadside "rest stops" with restrooms and a place to sit down is a start. Having a snack/coffee shop would be good if possible. Perhaps partnering with existing nationwide business would be a good idea? A fast charger at every Starbucks? Every Subway? Every McDonalds? I think we have mixed feelings about partnering with gas stations, but they do tend to have the mini-marts with restrooms and tire air spread out along highways between cities.

I have no personal problem with any charge station providers partnering with gas stations. The more we expose ICE drivers to electric cars, the better!

Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    I have no personal problem with any charge station providers partnering with gas stations. The more we expose ICE drivers to electric cars, the better!
    From a personal standpoint, I do not want to hang out at a carcinogenic gasoline station for any reason. I'd rather be at a Starbucks for an hour. And I don't even like coffee.

Thread Information