Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salt Lake City Open (mostly)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Stopped by the Salt Lake facility today and was delighted to learn they are now officially open. Mostly.

I say "mostly" because they still can not sell new cars but they can now sell used Teslas. They hope to have around 30 of those on the lot shortly.

But maybe more importantly, they now have sales staff that can actually talk to customers about Tesla vehicles.

Test drives were not available today but I was told they should be able to start offering those in the next few days.

The service center hours remain Mon-Fri 8-5.

Used sales hours are Mon-Sat 10-6.

If any of our wonderful elected officials cared about clean air they would allow Tesla to sell new cars without any restrictions.

The VW dealership down the road is still selling cars, but Tesla can not sell new cars in SLC. What is wrong with this picture ?

Reactions: Stirfelt
Just curious, what changed? Did the certification for selling used cars break the logjam?

I suspect that's it. Typically licenses for new car sales are much more heavily controlled than used car licenses because user car dealers do not have franchises. As long as Tesla can get a used car dealer license and can have service centers, people can go test drive a Tesla.

Looking good

Had the car in to the SLC store for it's 12,500 checkup today and saw that not only do they have a new, huge American flag but an almost as huge Tesla flag as well.

Now with luck next month the legislature will follow what I've heard is the governor's lead and allow the store to start selling new as well as used.

000.JPG

Reactions: tony b
Thanks for the update! I will be sending some appreciation cookies tomorrow (I work). Hope they soon have sales staff and test driving Model X; so that next year they need more cookies!!

Thanks for the update! I will be sending some appreciation cookies tomorrow (I work). Hope they soon have sales staff and test driving Model X; so that next year they need more cookies!!

They've got sales staff there already. Pretty big sales, parts and service staff. Such a change from just a few months ago when the place felt all but deserted.

The only remaining glitch is they can not sell new cars. Hopefully that will be remedied in January's legislative session.

BTW, they said today they'll have a X on display there "soon".

Had the car in to the SLC store for it's 12,500 checkup today and saw that not only do they have a new, huge American flag but an almost as huge Tesla flag as well.

I'm expecting they inherited the mast from the previous land owner (a dealer), and decided "oh, what the heck, let's make a big Tesla flag." If any sales center ever deserved a big flag, that would be one of them, they truly got jerked around by the state government. If Michigan gets theirs, well, I hope they build an oversized Supercharger monolith (where is that, Hawthorne, CA?).

Now with luck next month the legislature will follow what I've heard is the governor's lead and allow the store to start selling new as well as used.

View attachment 104031

that flag is awesome! I want that for my house.

The store has been without a flag for a while now in part because of the condition of the flag pole.

Nice to see this past Friday (the 19th) that the pole was being tended to. Lots of work ahead so it may be a while but eventually the pole will again be a gleaming white and that huge Tesla flag hoisted high to let everyone know Tesla is here in Utah. And here to stay.

0flagpole.JPG

Reactions: SageBrush