Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MP3s: where do Genres come from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I used a Linux tool to set the ID3 genre on all of my songs, or so I thought, but my car shows genres I didn't use, and doesn't show some genres at all (eg Oldies). It also has both Soundtrack and Soundtracks, misc and Miscellaneous.

The ID3 tag I was setting had about 150 fixed options that seem are stored as numbers.

Did you use that same USB media before you did the genre tags, and then make the changes, and put the same media device back in? I have found that the car caches tag information and can do what you described. I took to renaming the root folder and then it forces a scan with updated information. Not ideal, but it works.

Did you use that same USB media before you did the genre tags, and then make the changes, and put the same media device back in? I have found that the car caches tag information and can do what you described. I took to renaming the root folder and then it forces a scan with updated information. Not ideal, but it works.

I didn't know this, however this was a freshly-formatted USB drive and the music was copied off of a source that had never been in the Tesla so that's not it... :(