Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration in steering wheel using AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

When we all got the new Autopilot update, I noticed a new vibrating noise that I hadn't heard before.

At first, I thought it was just the new compressor cycle settings in the A/C.
However, now that I've been using AutoPilot more and driving around more I noticed that it is actually the steering wheel that is vibrating when it is in autopilot.

This sound isn't as intense as when the lane departure warning kicks in, and it is also frequently present when i'm directly in the middle of the lane.

My first thought is that the system is vibrating the wheel so it can detect if my hand is on the wheel?

Not sure if other folks are experiencing this or if it is just me.

Hey all,

When we all got the new Autopilot update, I noticed a new vibrating noise that I hadn't heard before.

At first, I thought it was just the new compressor cycle settings in the A/C.
However, now that I've been using AutoPilot more and driving around more I noticed that it is actually the steering wheel that is vibrating when it is in autopilot.

This sound isn't as intense as when the lane departure warning kicks in, and it is also frequently present when i'm directly in the middle of the lane.

My first thought is that the system is vibrating the wheel so it can detect if my hand is on the wheel?

Not sure if other folks are experiencing this or if it is just me.

It's not just you. When I brought the same thing up on (I think) the 7.0 thread a while ago, a number of people chimed in with "me too". I don't think it's vibrating the wheel, I think the vibration is in the driveline or more accurately, the actual steering (not just the wheel, but the wheels, as it were). I only notice it when the car is going straight, and I suspect it's hunting back and forth -- repeated back-and-forth overcorrections at high frequency, that average out to "straight". I only notice it at low speeds (by which I mean "slower than highway").

I've reported it through the "bug report" voice command in the car, I encourage others to do so as well.

I'm having the same problem and mentioned it at the SC today. They seemed unaware, although I did provide information to them from this post:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ud-Noise-from-the-front-and-Steering-Wheel-Vi

They asked me to try to (safely) grab a video shot when it happened so they could reference the timeline in the vehicle logs. It does require certain conditions to trigger in my case ... setting Autopilot at highway speed and then slowing to 25-50MPH following another vehicle. It sounds a little like the lane departure warning only softer but with a fair bit of wheel shake.

They noted the replacement of the steering rack in the other threads case, but also noted that replacing the steering rack with a new unit could have fixed the problem if the steering rack firmware had been updated. I updated to 2.77 today, but did not have a chance to see if it made any difference.

They didn't want to hear it (or see it), they just wanted to use it for a timeline to match to the vehicle logs.

You can't make this stuff up...I offered to note the exact time instead ...

I'm not sure if my vibration is the same as it starts at about 70mph and is worse at around 75mph. If I have autopilot turned on then the steering wheel left buttons for media forward and back begin to rattle really loud. I'm going to have to contact service center because my steering has also starting to make knocks and groans while operating at low speeds.