Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Monitor Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S

smoothoperator

I have this weird problem, everytime I drive a certain stretch of freeway the "fault" and "tire pressure malfunction" light comes on. I know this error only signals that the wireless communication between the tire pressure monitor sensors and the actual measuring unit has been interrupted and does not signal a catastrophic loss of tire pressure. I am just trying to figure out why at this certain stretch of freeway do I always get this error? I can go and park in my garage at home, turn the roadster off, turn it back on a couple times while rolling forward and in reverse and the error goes away. I can then proceed to drive the roadster to my hearts content with no errors. Only when I pass this stretch of freeway does the error occur. Do you think it is due to some sort of wireless interruption from extraenous sources? That is my assumption....It is just very annoying and I am apprehensive about taking the car back in to Tesla as this problem can only be replicated on this stretch of freeway. Please advise.

This. RF interference is known to sometimes screw with TPM systems. If it is always at the same place, I wouldn't worry about it.

I am unsure if it has to do with distance or the location....I drove from my house to my destination and the fault occured. I arrived at my destination put the car into D and R a couple times the fault went away. I went from my destination back to my house and the fault occured again within 100 feet of the location of the initial fault. On a map the location where the fault occured seems exactly equadistant from my destination and my house. I then drove the car as usual for the rest of the day with no faults whatsoever (less combined distance than from my home/destination to the faults). Now that I think about it I have driven this stretch of freeway in another lane and not gotten the fault, it only seems to occur in the carpool lane? Very odd?

Last edited by a moderator:
Drive a same distance trip in a few other directions to eliminate/confirm distance as the cause.

Interesting because a lot of cars go by that airport. You can't be the only one with a similar error.

Will this fault auto-correct itself while in motion? Seems like when the fault is triggered that it will not attempt to reconnect to the TPMS on the fly? I wonder if the RF signal is interrupted for the duration of my trip or if it just does not clear the fault automatically.

I had a similar problem.. The TPMS system was reporting a system fault after about 5 miles of driving all the time. My tire pressure was maybe 2 psi low from spec but not really low enough. I reported to Tesla and I got a firmware upgrade which "fixed" my problem. Tesla service seemed to imply that uniform slitely low pressure could cause this. So I should have just put a little more air in my tires, but I went to Menlo Park and got a firmware upgrade - and some air in my tires.
The first time this happened I was in the San Francisco Columbus Day Parade along with several other electric vehicles. Going about 5 miles an hour for 45 minutes or so.

Here recently I have been getting TPMS errors. See Pictures:
IMAG0148.jpg

While I was at a light I was able to enter the Tire Pressures Screen. It is pretty clear as to why the fault is displaying.
IMAG0149.jpg

Note: This was after driving for over 5 miles and about 15 Min. It keeps recurring.

I've already contacted TM and am waiting for scheduling for the Ranger.

Sounds like the receiver has failed - when I got that error I had one bad tire display, not four.

If they have to disassemble the dashboard ask them to put in anti-squeak tape NOW so you don't have to get them to do it later.