Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mute from steering wheel doesn't work in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, here's a strange annoyance: When backing into my garage, I usually mute the stereo. However, since 7.0 came out, the mute button on the wheel doesn't seem to work while in reverse. It's strange, I put it back into park or drive and mute works fine. Shift into reverse and it stops. Has anyone else noticed this?

Ok, here's a strange annoyance: When backing into my garage, I usually mute the stereo. However, since 7.0 came out, the mute button on the wheel doesn't seem to work while in reverse. It's strange, I put it back into park or drive and mute works fine. Shift into reverse and it stops. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I did. I decided it wasn't worth filing a bug on, though.

It doesn't work whenever the proximity sensors are on the front left of your IC actually - even if just in close traffic and you get those far white lines showing something is close (but not TOO close), then you can't mute either. It is a bit annoying.

Aha! Thank you for that Travwill. Every morning when I go into McDonalds to get my coffee, the mute stops working on the thumb wheel. Now I know it's because the left front sensor is firing continually because of the curb.

Ha, good one. Yes, you'll have to mute right before you enter the drive through then, a change in your behavior ;-) is required.

Hopefully they fix this in 7.1+... It seems reasonable since it is not working at likely the times when you would want to mute it quickly/immediately it most and concentrate.

Interesting. i have a non-sensor car and my music will mute when I'm in reverse.

Sounds like the "layer in control" is the sensors beeping and since that sound can't be muted, mute is disabled. Similar to how you can't mute (or even change the volume) of music during a Bluetooth interrupt (like Waze directions) since the Bluetooth volume control is in charge. But for stuff like parking sensors that cannot be changed, control should continue to the underlying layer.

I noticed a similar issue the other day, but with voice navigation. I usually set the nav voice volume (via the touchscreen) at 2 or 3. I could not for the life of me figure out why that volume kept changing. I realized that occasionally I would try to raise or lower the radio volume with the scroll wheel when she (nav) was talking, and if that's the case then it changes the nav voice volume instead of the radio volume.

Strange behavior for sure. I can see how someone might want that momentary control of the nav voice volume, but generally it seems odd to have volume control switch around to whatever is active at the moment. It would make sense to me then, that when you are trying to reverse and sound/volume priority is given to the parking sensors, that you can't mute the radio because the car thinks you are trying to mute the parking sensor sounds. This is pure speculation but would make sense to me based on the nav volume behavior.

Simple solution would be to have scroll volume 100% dedicated to radio (or phone call, if on a call). All other volumes should only be controlled via the touch screen since presumably you don't need to fiddle with those other features that often or ever.

It doesn't work whenever the proximity sensors are on the front left of your IC actually - even if just in close traffic and you get those far white lines showing something is close (but not TOO close), then you can't mute either. It is a bit annoying.

Sounds like the "layer in control" is the sensors beeping and since that sound can't be muted, mute is disabled. Similar to how you can't mute (or even change the volume) of music during a Bluetooth interrupt (like Waze directions) since the Bluetooth volume control is in charge. But for stuff like parking sensors that cannot be changed, control should continue to the underlying layer.

I've noticed this behavior since 5.x -- and it's not just the left front parking sensor. I reverse into my garage, and that sensor is quiet, but the ones on the right front and rear of the car sound off every time. I believe Cyclone has it right.

Muting audio while in reverse works just fine in my pre-AP v7 car, no parking sensors.

Without parking sensors, there is nothing to "override" the music audio for the mute button to apply to, and thus, be disabled in that layer. This is the same reason why mute always works for me. Without parking sensors, the only thing that overrides my music are Nav directions and Bluetooth.