Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Production Countdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
As Roadster customization stops soon (or has already ended), here is the spot to put what you have heard about what's not being made any more.

This was a Chicago Demo car:

pab5482 Livermore, California, "I just ordered my car - apparently the LAST Thunder Gray Roadster Sport they'll ever make. They're shipping it from Chicago to Menlo Park CA this week."
What Vin # is it?

News about pricing as well.

It was said the last five Vin #s have been presold at $200,000 each. Do we know what those numbers are?

The last 5 VINs were sold as custom because you had a choice of paint, not just off showroom floor. They have every available option, and some more cosmetic adds, which include some unique carbon fiber elements and interior contrast stitching the same color as your exterior (2 options, both colors that were not avail to anyone else). I know this info because I was thinking of buying one just for investment purposes.

Also, I was admiring that Thunder Gray Roadster in the Chicago showroom just hours before they got the call that it was sold. :)

I wonder if they ended right at 1300. Does anyone have a VIN > 1300 ?

I was at the Menlo Park store May 18th. Walking around I saw several cars with > 1300. And one was > 1400 (Like 1402 I think).
There were two clearly new red cars without battery packs being worked on. You can tell if a car doesn't have the pack because the suspension pushes the back end up high without the battery weight.

Ordered mine on May 7th and was told it was one of the last 6 or so custom build slots available--only had sport models left, but all other options were still available. Looks like it'll be line number 1354, but I'm yet to see any pattern to how they've been assigning this.

All of this pertains to the U.S. market. Custom orders are still available overseas. Not sure about Canada, since they appear to obtain their stock from the U.S., so perhaps they're locked out of custom orders, too.

After I purchased my roadster, I was talking to a prospective buyer in the Tesla Store, and the salesman corrected me when I made the assumption that U.S. VINs have anything to do with the number of roadsters made so far. Apparently, there should be 1700 total, but the VINs are scattered around between domestic and foreign. Actually, I seem to recall that he said each market has its own sequence, so there might be more than one with the same final VIN digits (although I assume that something in the beginning of the VIN would have to be unique). But I realize I shouldn't trust everything that I hear, particularly when it comes to Tesla operations.

I wonder if they ended right at 1300. Does anyone have a VIN > 1300 ?

There are quite a few above 1300 already; RoadsterWarrior has #1323 (delivered Memorial Day if I recall correctly), ours is #1329, not delivered yet as of June 9th. Ours was probably one of the last non-Sport "custom" cars. I think the consensus on one of the other threads (production/delivery status) was that 1400 was going to be the highest US VIN.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: eHorses
After I purchased my roadster, I was talking to a prospective buyer in the Tesla Store, and the salesman corrected me when I made the assumption that U.S. VINs have anything to do with the number of roadsters made so far. Apparently, there should be 1700 total, but the VINs are scattered around between domestic and foreign. Actually, I seem to recall that he said each market has its own sequence, so there might be more than one with the same final VIN digits (although I assume that something in the beginning of the VIN would have to be unique). But I realize I shouldn't trust everything that I hear, particularly when it comes to Tesla operations.

Be sure you check out this thread: Decoding Tesla VINs

All of this pertains to the U.S. market. Custom orders are still available overseas. Not sure about Canada, since they appear to obtain their stock from the U.S., so perhaps they're locked out of custom orders, too.
My working assumption is that production for Canada is done too. Anyone else hear otherwise?

What you heard sounds mostly correct to me. Besides the early prototypes (EPs & VPs), and Founders' series, there are at least two other different VIN sequences, and if you know the highest numbered last 4 VIN digits from all of them, and add them together you should be fairly close to the total produced. If the North-American style VINs are above 1400 now, and European style VINs are over 500 now (I think), then perhaps the total Roadsters is more like 1900, not 1700.... (Just saying.)

I ordered my Roadster on May 6th and was told it was one of 3 Jet Black Roadsters left in the country. VIN 1172. Shipping was delayed as my Roadster received a new paint job. It left Palo Alto on May 27 and is headed to Atlanta.

1172? "ordered may 6th and delivered may 27" sounds like a spec car and not a custom build. The final custom roadsters are in the range of 1300-1400. I asked for vin 1392, but was told that they weren't going that high. I got the impression that the VINs stopped at 1375.

It would appear that VINs 0969, 1155, and 1205 are all Jet Black Roadster Sport models waiting for owners, $146,645 each, and I can vouch for the one in Seattle as a very beautiful specimen. As Scott points out, these are spec cars that have already been produced, whereas this thread originally started to count down the remaining roadsters yet to be produced.

Custom orders are gone!

That was true some time between May 9 and May 13. The last 5 custom orders went for $200,000 each!

All that is left now are spec cars, scattered around various dealers - seemingly a lot in Colorado for some reason. You can probably still go through the motions of "custom ordering" online, but the car has already been made. Also, of the spec cars, the non-Sport models sold first because of the lower price. There are only about 5 non-Sport spec cars left, and 34 Sport.

S-2000,

sorry first time poster, usually lurking. Is there a way to easily see what the remaining 34 sport models have or are? I signed up on the Tesla website to purchase one but haven't had a response back from them.

What's the best way to see the remaining inventory?

Is there a way to easily see what the remaining 34 sport models have or are? I signed up on the Tesla website to purchase one but haven't had a response back from them.

What's the best way to see the remaining inventory?
That's a great question, and I wish that Tesla would give me a kick-back for helping their sales team. Alas, even though I'm not getting any monetary consideration, I will tell you that the best way to find out what is available is to call your nearest Tesla Store and talk to one of the sales staff. These guys are not like typical car sales staff, at least Lance here in Seattle is great. They have access to everything, and will even send you photos of several Roadsters to choose from that meet your criteria.

I grabbed the numbers above by looking in my account on the Tesla Motors web site as an Owner. But you're still better off calling a sales person because they have access to a more accurate database than the one available semi-publicly on the web site. I had a bit of a panic when I put my down payment on my Roadster because my VIN was not visible at all on the web site. I could see two or three of the other options that Lance had emailed to me, but my #1 pick was not there. Talk about panic! Fortunately, even though we never discovered why it wasn't on the web site, I still ended up with my VIN (pictured in my avatar).

Anyway, thanks for bearing with my story, but your best bet is to talk to Tesla. They will not twist your arm to buy, because they gain nothing by selling to an unwilling buyer. In fact, Tesla seems to prefer sales staff who almost feel guilty for getting anywhere near pressure-based sales techniques. All the same, I will say "It's now or used" - a phrase that I coined when I made my choice to buy, and which my salesman was excited to borrow. Unless you don't mind waiting for a used Roadster to appear on the market, you'd better call and ask about that remaining inventory.