Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed ticket in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
Probably not unusual, but the comment from the officer was "The problem with you Tesla people is you need to put on the front license plates, quit tinting the windows, and show all your HOV stickers." Interesting attitude from a local cop where the Tesla tax is probably substantial due to the factory. "You Tesla People"

74 in a 65 zone with all the other traffic doing the same.

Probably not unusual, but the comment from the officer was "The problem with you Tesla people is you need to put on the front license plates, quit tinting the windows, and show all your HOV stickers." Interesting attitude from a local cop where the Tesla tax is probably substantial due to the factory. "You Tesla People"

Yep. Exactly why my Roadster has a front plate and HOV stickers. No need giving them an excuse.

I used to be a 10 mph over kind of guy. With autopilot, I just set it at the speed limit now and don't care (not in the left hand lane obviously!). Amazingly, I've noticed no difference to my commute.

Were you a smartypnz to the officer? Sorry, but I had to ask.:biggrin: I'm driving around sans front plate also, so far so good. I stick with the traffic too, surprised you got pulled over. Wonder if he had a thing for Tesla.s

I would make it a point to write a letter to the Chief of Police where the officer works and CC the City Council, about the gratuitous anti Tesla comment.

He seems to have a certain degree of animosity towards Tesla drivers and let's see how he likes it when he has to explain that to his supervisors. Seems he singled you out. That kind of comment aimed at a whole segment of drivers is completely unprofessional and uncalled for.

As long as you were respectful to him, I would recommend filing a complaint with the Chief, and contacting the city council members. No reason for a public servant to treat you like that.

Duh. You forgot to mention in your note your car was RED too. Enough said. :smile:

Wow, that's so dumb. There is no reason for a front plate and definitely no reason to show more than 1 carpool sticker.

And that's why you get called "You Tesla people."

Multiple plates and stickers are to allow for easier identification.

If you don't want those ugly stickers on your cars you don't have to put them on. It's not mandatory to drive in the HOV lane, you know.

If everyone else in your lane is traveling 75 mph and you're going 65 mph it is less safe. Try driving 65 mph on the autobahn and seeing how well that goes and how safe you feel. Flow of traffic is more important.

Trucks and people towing have no problem driving 65mph. In fact the towing limit is only 50mph.

If you travel at 65mph traffic will flow behind you because everybody behind you in your lane will also be driving at 65mph.

The problem is not people driving at the speed limit while other people want to speed, it's people who don't keep right. (I'm glad it's just a 4-lane Interstate around here, because 6-lanes leads to idiots sitting in the middle lane.)

As long as you were respectful to him, I would recommend filing a complaint with the Chief, and contacting the city council members. No reason for a public servant to treat you like that.

I agree. The police chief should actually look up all his past citations to see what percentage of those citations were issued to Tesla drivers.

Would you mind posting which police precinct issued you this ticket so others know to watch out for this officer?

If everyone else in your lane is traveling 75 mph and you're going 65 mph it is less safe. Try driving 65 mph on the autobahn and seeing how well that goes and how safe you feel. Flow of traffic is more important.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the freeways in the Fremont area. Depending on time of day, it can be completely stopped and 40mph seems like an unreachable dream.
:)