Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S driver avoids crash through acceleration (dashcam video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I barely escaped this crash. I just got my car back from the body shop after being rear-ended a few months ago, and I had just had the car for 9 days when this happened. I'm convinced that if I had not floored it to get out of the way, he would have hit me. If you pay close attention you see the white van shaking as it is getting hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. quite compelling, appreciate you posting. I was wondering if you felt a reflex to grab control of the car or were thinking autopilot was malfunctioning with the sudden acceleration as it actually happened.

I barely escaped this crash. I just got my car back from the body shop after being rear-ended a few months ago, and I had just had the car for 9 days when this happened. I'm convinced that if I had not floored it to get out of the way, he would have hit me. If you pay close attention you see the white van shaking as it is getting hit.

Great awareness and reaction!

yes, the description of the video on YouTube also makes it clear this happened today.

the driver may have accelerated himself, so I may have been mistaken in assuming it was an autopilot move.

Yes, my car is too old to have auto pilot, so I had to get out of the way on my own, but certainly the cars acceleration and instant response is what made all the difference. It probably helped that I'm paranoid about getting rear-ended, so I always keep my eyes peeled on the rear view mirror or backup camera when I'm stopped.

Yes, my car is too old to have auto pilot, so I had to get out of the way on my own, but certainly the cars acceleration and instant response is what made all the difference. It probably helped that I'm paranoid about getting rear-ended, so I always keep my eyes peeled on the rear view mirror or backup camera when I'm stopped.

well excellent reactions! just beautiful
curious, do you drive with 2 feet in the Tesla?

This is a cool video. I'm guessing though if the driver would have swerved and hit another vehicle it would then be his fault. I was told by my insurance angent that as painful it is, you should let the car hit you so that it's not your fault. I'm not sure I'd be able to let somebody do that to my Tesla though.

Awesome job schwedisch. Most people when threatened with an accident tend to clutch up and freeze. You did not. The correct response is to get the h8ll out of the way!
I had almost the exact thing happen to me when driving my old BMW convertible. I was stopped at a red light, with a guy stopped behind me, when an elderly lady came full speed into him. I heard the crash of metal and seeing no one in front of me, hit the gas. 3 cars were totaled. I had a 2" scrape on my bumper.

Off topic: has anyone figured out a solution to getting rid of that damn glare from the dash?

What kind of dashcam are you using blackvue?

Yes, a DR650GW-2ch, that I had installed just a few days before this video was shot. I used to drive with only a forward facing camera (G1W), which has served me well in the past, but last time I got rear-ended the insurance company of the driver still refused to accept 100% liability (although I might still win that one in arbitration), because the camera did not show if their driver was stopped or not, when in fact he was stopped behind me, using his cellphone. So, when I got my car back from the body shop, I made sure to upgrade to a camera with both front and rear channels, so the next time a cellphone user rear-ends me I have proof.

Wow dude, brilliant. You are the internet winner of the day!

About 1.5 years ago I was in my S on the interstate when traffic came to a sudden halt. Since I was in the left lane, and it was Friday (Friday drivers tend to be particularly stupid), I was sure to stop with plenty of space in front of me. I was glad I did, because I heard tires screeching hard behind me. Since my rear camera was up, I saw a van quickly approaching and I gunned it. The van finally stopped probably a foot or two past where my rear bumper *was*...so I was luckily able to avoid a rear end collision that day because I left space, was paying attention, and gunned it.

Because of videos like this, I now try to leave plenty of space in front of me when stopping, and try to pay attention to the rear camera until several cars behind me have stopped. (Can't always do this though).

Anyway, kudos to you for some excellent driving!