Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recomendations for rear view mirror for night-time driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Roadster rear view mirror on the windshield is pretty dazzling at night time :crying: Using the prism makes rear visibility awful. I was wondering if owners have found any simple workarounds to lower the reflected light intensity?
Thanks!

The Roadster rear view mirror on the windshield is pretty dazzling at night time :crying: Using the prism makes rear visibility awful. I was wondering if owners have found any simple workarounds to lower the reflected light intensity?
Thanks!

We had our side and rear windows tinted which cuts quite a bit of the glare. Other than that we use the night setting on the mirror. What "prism" are you referring to?

When I had my side windows tinted, I had the rear window tinted as well...helps a bit imo...you could also try having some tint applied to the rear view mirror itself...I didn't try this, so I can't attest to the result...

I put a single layer of 35% window tint on the mirror itself. Since the light goes through it twice, it's like having 70% tint. That is still bright enough to work well in the daytime, but gets rid of the dazzle at night.

I have a tinted rear window (10% - super dark. If I did it over again I'd go 20%) and use the prism when necessary. In my experience I only need the prism when stopped at a light or on surface streets and rear visibility is not as important there. On the freeway I find the rear tint to be sufficient as people are further away. But at the end of the day there's not much you can do since the car is so low you get blasted by everyone's lights.

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing no. This mirror:
microMIRRORâ„¢ Rear View Mirror for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111 which is recommended for the Roadster says to order the 2007+ Elise mirror. The mirror you listed above says only for 2005-2006 Elise models. So I'm guessing something changed between 2006 and 2007 and Tesla is using the newer style (since they were all made post-2007).

I put a single layer of 35% window tint on the mirror itself. Since the light goes through it twice, it's like having 70% tint. That is still bright enough to work well in the daytime, but gets rid of the dazzle at night.

I'm looking to do that with my sector111 micro mirror using the blue tint. A tip a professional tint shop told me was to to use steam when applying. I have a hand-held steamer that I'll try this with. Trying to find the right tint material for the project.

@ Wiztecy
That's a great project....let us know how it works. The micro mirror is really a great choice for the roadster. I found the original mirror blocked front visibility and due to the design of the roadster rear window it only let you see directly behind you. The double angle side mirrors give you all the blindspot visibility you need. The smaller micro mirror reflects less light into your eyes. The blue tint might just end that.

I don't think tinting will work on the mirror, it appears what will happen is that a double image of the reflection it's imaging will be created. The only way to do it right is to take out the old mirror and install a new mirror that has the tint before the mirror but before the glass. I'll try to search around or call my local glass shop to see if I could have mine replaced. What I'd do is remove / break out the old mirror in the micro-mirror and then have a new quality blue tinted mirror placed in. Shouldn't be hard nor cost much. But we'll see.

From a thread:

tinting your rear view

"The only way to "tint" a mirror would be to apply the tint between the glass and the reflective surface (impossible). When you look into a mirror, you are looking at the surface behind the glass. If you put a piece of tint on top of the glass, the image you are looking at is entering the glass, reflecting off the reflective surface, then reflecting off the inside of the tint, back to the mirror surface. You will always get a double image. The only way would be to find a company that makes mirrors, and keep in mind, I have no idea if this is at all possible, and see if you can have a "tinted" mirror made. If that is possible, you could bring your current mirrors to them, they can cut the piece you need, and you would have to get the glass removed from the backing of the mirror assembly and the new glass glued back into place."