Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the capacity of your pack? It looks like my 2008 #255 has a capacity of about 53 kw. That is measuring from 100% to 0%.

I charged in range mode and then had a wonderful ride through the mountains. I covered 189 miles and had a chance to test the limits of the battery. I had to switch to range mode about 20 miles out to make it home and I estimated I had about 11 miles left on the battery when I arrived at home.

The screen said I had used 50.11kw at 263 wh/mi. If I multiply 50.12/189*200 I get 53 kwh. Am I correct that 53kw is the capacity of the battery in range mode? From that I calculate about 41 kwh in standard mode.

I was not drving for range as I was tracking a group of fast motorcyclists. So I had plenty of hard cornering and several stretches of 75 mph cruising, but the average speed was closer to 50mph.

I would love to go farther but lack of charging option limits us in NE Tennessee.

IMG_0120.JPG

my best result

Last edited:
Eberhard, thank you for the reply. I know you drive A LOT. Do you often charge in range mode or standard mode? And do you know how you charged for the screen shot above? I am guessing you charged in range mode and took the pack to nearly empty.

Thank you

I did it on the autobahn from Monaco to Bellinzona Sud. around 70km countryroad (out of Monaco) and then 350km highway. I arrived with 40km ideal range left. I drove most time 80-85km on the truck lane (a little bit slower uphills). It is important to drag low but constant amps out of the batterie pack. countryroad consumption was much higher (135Wh/km).

not really, most around 50m. Its more for a pretty steady ride without the need to slow down or push up. i adjust my cruise control for that. Even uphill i keep in line not to increase the amperage to much.